• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Water

almhath

I"ve been successfully gathering my stuff, and I thank everyone who helps.

In finding myself trying to shave a gram here and there, I need to consider water.

I've been told several times that I should take 2 liters of water with me when hiking, but I'm also told you can refill your water bottles every few K.

With that, is it really necessary to carry 2 liters? Or might it be better (weight) to carry one liter, and then fill up the bottles when passing a fountain?

Thank you

Almha

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It seems everyone on the forum has a different answer to the water question. One factor that often is not identified is the time of the year and the weather.
I have usually been on the Camino in April, May and June.
I carry a couple of .5 litre bottles that I refill along the way or buy new ones from time to time. I carry them in a pocket of my cargo pants or on a belt carrier. Never a problem.
(I deposit used ones in the trash, not on the trail :wink: )

I don't want anymore weight than needed to get by.
Remember that a liter of water weighs one kilo (2.2 lbs) so carrying 2 liters in your pack adds 2 kilos (4.4 lbs :shock: ) to your pack. I try for 6-7 kilo pack weight so 2 kilos would nearly match that.

We all do it different and swear that our way is best...as usual. 8)

Almha

Or maybe, carry 2 one full one empty(cheaper one), then decide if you personally can get away with only one. ask every day how often can you pick-up water. My guess is often but then if its very hot then one should be drinking lots, & we can always look @ our 'colour' to see if too yellow. If you feel you are ok on one then make a pressie to another pilgrim who left behind theirs somewhere :)
David

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Almha

There are some stretches where a number of the water fountains have signs on them warning that the water is 'undrinkable' or more ambiguously 'not guaranteed'. If you take a 2l water Platypus you can fill it as much as necessary in the morning depending on your route that day. I liked to drink quite a lot along the Way and tended to fill it to about 1.5l in the morning and reassess the situation whenever I passed a fountain. Major towns are certain to have drinkable water, so if you know you're going to pass through one after a few km you can obviously take a bit less.

The location of water fountains was one of the less reliable aspects of my guidebook - sometimes there wasn't one where it said there was, and there were others that the book didn't mention.

Buen Camino!

Keith

grayland wrote
It seems everyone on the forum has a different answer to the water question. One factor that often is not identified is the time of the year and the weather.
I have usually been on the Camino in April, May and June.

And I have only ever walked in July and early August so I usually carried at least a liter. I just used store water bottles and kept filling the same ones: one half liter bottle in my cargo pants pocket, one in an outer pack pocket and one in my pack. However, I thought I was a genius the day I realized that the amount of water I carried between 6 - 9 am did not have to be the same as the amount I carried during the remainder of the day! Just be sure you know there is a village or two up ahead within that time frame. I am a big water drinker even at home.

It's important to start your day hydrated. Take time to drink a full half liter of water before you even walk out the door.

We have walked 4 different Caminos, all 800km and only ever have 1/2 litre bottles.
Every time we have coffee which includes a stop for nature we fill the bottles.
The cafe owners never mind if you purchase something.
You seem to be worrying about a lot mate.
On the path and get going and let it happen.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Re: Water issue in ACEBO

This little story has nothing to do with the initial post. But as the title is simply "Water", I will write it down.
When I arrived the 29th of September 2011 in Acebo, I saw the billboard "habitaciones" at the first bar to the right. So I spend the night in a hostal (4 rooms and 2 shared bathrooms). The hostal in fact was situated much lower in the village, in the small street left of the public fontain (fuente at the right).
When I wanted to shower I noticed that there was no water. Also the second shower was dry. Propably a general water issue. So I dressed up again and went to the bar, hoping that I could take a shower maybe somewhere else. In the bar there was water, so the guy went with me to the hostal. The first thing he tried was checking if water flew out of the fountain. The fountain was also dry. So he was also thinking that there was a water issue and that the lower parts of the commune had no more pressure. The guy then checked the status of all water pipes in the hostal (all dry) and then he opened the garage under the hostal. On the left side, there was a huge water installation. He checked all valves and asked assistance from another guy. After 5 minutes, the other guy found out that the fuse of the complete installation was down. He set back the fuse and water was flowing again in the hostal as well as in the public fountain at the other side of the street.
Strange water installations they have in Spain.

To come back to the first post: I always carried with me 3 x 0,5l bottles.
The temperature during my camino varied between 20 and 35°C. Once I opened the third bottle. I refilled when there was an opportunity.
Finally I would add that the water in the Pyrenees is lovely. At Zubiri, you will start tasting the chlorine. In some regions, there is too much chlorine in the water.

Thornley said:
all 800km and only ever have 1/2 litre bottles.
Every time we have coffee which includes a stop for nature we fill the bottles.
The cafe owners never mind if you purchase something.
We also only use small 1/2 litre bottles (actually I think they are 600 g, not 500 gr). A few days last September when the temperature soared into the 30's (one day registered an unheard temp of 36 deg - in mid sept), we carried 2 small bottles each. We fill up at all fountains that have potable water and every time we stop at a bar to buy something we ask to have the bottles topped up. Every few days we buy new bottles of fresh water. Anne

You will have no problem with water ; one liter is enough for a step because you will cross a lot of villages during a day. So you will get potable water every 5 or 8 km.
Excuse me for my bad english

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
the main question: when are you going?
because in May my half liter bottle , filled in at fountains found along the camino, was enough.

this September however, i had two of them, so 1 liter water made me think of leaving the camino on the first day, because of thirst, (the sun was so unbearable, very very hot day) and exhaustion climbing to Rabanal... this September had even more then 30 degrees celsius, middays, so that was the hardest suffering on the camino. for me :) and i always run short of water, even with more than 1 liter... and fountains along the route...

I am a big water drinker and I carried 1.5l bottle with me, refilling it at most fountains I passed. on camino frances there are (drinkable) fountains in practicaly every village, or there is a bar or an albergue where you can refill.
I think that the longest stretch without villages is the 12km stretch between villamajor de monjardin (where the village fountain has been dry for years and in 2009 the hospitalera in albergue parroquial was stopping pilgrims, telling them to refill their bottles!) and los arcos. but in 2009 a new fountain was installed after the descent from villamajor, about a quarter into the stretch.

I noticed, too, that the number of fountains has increased from 2005 to 2009.

I usually take water from public fountains, sometimes even from those with 'not guaranteed' tag on them, and in 2009 never had problems. but I did have plenty of problems four years before, on the plains between carrion de los condes and mansilla de las mulas. apparently the pollution has hit the bottom in 2005.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I carry two one-half liter disposable bottles. I carry one in my hand as I like to constantly sip throughout the day as I walk. The second bottle is in one of my pack pockets in case I empty my hand-carried bottle before I can refill/replace it.

I opted to carry two 500ml water bottles with me as I knew from my training walks that I would need between half-a-litre to a litre every hour. Rather than carry one large bottle, I'd recommend two smaller bottles for balance and convenience of use. I'd top these up at water fountains along the way.

That said, at certain points along the way, when water was not gauranteed between stages, I bought a large bottle of water as a reserve, having suffered mild dehydration on the stage between Zubiri and Arres. If weight is an issue then carrying extra water 'just in case' may not be for you but being young, fit and relatively strong, I was willing to suffer the extra kilos every so often.

I have my criticisms of John Brierley's guidebook, but found that his information regarding water availability was almost always spot on.

daesdaemar said:
I carry two one-half liter disposable bottles. I carry one in my hand as I like to constantly sip throughout the day as I walk. The second bottle is in one of my pack pockets in case I empty my hand-carried bottle before I can refill/replace it.

You're right. Me too, I use two empty bottles of Coca cola.
These bottles are strong and lightweight
I full it with water in every village

¡Buen Camino, Peregrino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I used a 3li Source bladder, and refilled it at least once a day, sometimes twice. There were only two days were I had trouble finding a place to refill it. That was in Apr. I don't think a litre would offer sufficient safety margin for me, even then.

One reason is my preference to be at least a little sweaty when I am walking. I know there are 'no-sweat' techniques, but that relies on having the experience to know how much water to drink and when to stay properly hydrated. Otherwise there is a risk that one is just not sweating because one is already dehydrated.

The other reason is that I drink both regularly and frequently. If you are only drinking when you get thirsty, you have already begun to dehydrate.

Both these mean that I drink quite a lot of water when I am walking, and I would rather have a reasonable safety margin as well.

If you do decide to start out with only a litre, my advice would be to watch out for the obvious signs of dehydration, and be prepared to carry more if required.

antelope said:
Anyone had stomach problems from the water they've used to fill up with?
I found the San Miguel brand slightly problematic. It had a funny taste and left me a bit dizzy and with a headache the following morning.

Seriously though, unless water sources are marked as undrinkable (Agua no potable) they're likely to be fine. I never heard of any problems although it may well have happened to someone at some time.

Buen Camino!

antelope said:
That's a point! I'm a real ale man myself. Six weeks or more without a pint!! Can you at least buy baked beans somewhere? ;-)
Not sure. You can get Guinness from time to time if you're really running dry. There's a place in Sahagun, and I'm sure several others. Real ale is tricky, though. Unfortunately on this occasion the Camino is unlikely to provide!

Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
When walking last year, we came into a town thirsty and immediately found a fountain with two spigots. As I filled my bottle at one, Joe began drinking from the other.... until I brought to his attention the sign above it that said, "Non-potable!"

Uh=oh!

He'd probably already downed a liter of "non-potable" water... so what to do?

:idea: :idea: We went directly to the nearest bar where he immediately downed a few shots of straight whiskey :idea: :idea:

He quite enjoyed the treatment and never suffered at all.

I suspect those "non-potable" signs are probably there simply because the water has not been chemically treated. But best to pay attention.

As to how much water to carry, I never carried more than a .5 liter bottle on the Frances, filling it at each village.

antelope said:
I didn't. I filled up at a variety of public fonts, at bars and cafes, and before leaving each morning in the albergue. I did not use any public font sign posted non potable or sin purificado, but otherwise took the risk and didn't seem any the worse for that.

Anniesantiago said:
I suspect those "non-potable" signs are probably there simply because the water has not been chemically treated. But best to pay attention.
My understanding is that 'non-potable' means that it does not meet health standards for human consumption, which could mean anything from too high a concentration of various salts to having too heavy a bacterial load. Its not at statement about whether or not it has been treated as such.

The term 'sin purificado' would appear to literally mean that it has not been treated, but doesn't appear to necessarily mean 'non-potable'. I didn't use water from fonts marked sin purificado as I wasn't sure. Someone might be able to clarify what it means for a font to be labelled that way.

Regards,

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
dougfitz said:
The term 'sin purificado' would appear to literally mean that it has not been treated, but doesn't appear to necessarily mean 'non-potable'. I didn't use water from fonts marked sin purificado as I wasn't sure. Someone might be able to clarify what it means for a font to be labelled that way.
Yes that would be useful. I was also slightly concerned about pesticides or other chemicals that may have found their way into the water.

"As to how much water to carry, I never carried more than a .5 liter bottle on the Frances, filling it at each village."

Crickey, that doesn't seem much but then you were topping it up with whiskies :lol: :lol:

did you check your 'colour' :?:

It's possible that older water sources such as fountains have lead piping making the water officially not fit for human consumption.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
antelope said:

Yes - about 6 weeks after I got back from my Camino, what I thought was IBS turned out to be a bug that I picked up on the Camino, and I think I can pinpoint the fountain. Although it had a sign to say that the water was potable, it did look a bit questionable and I am sure that this was the culprit.

Hi Aimhath:
We all need water - the question how much is tricky because we all have individual needs. Here are some thoughts for you -

1. rate of exertion - if you are starting in SJPP your first day will be up hill - your need for water will be greater as your body will expend more energy - water is necessary to keep your blood flowing and your heart pumping easily and to move nutrients throughout your body - I am a female in my 50's with plenty of experience walking and I know as I adjust to the altitude and heat I will be draining my water containers. Younger, fit individuals will have different requirements and you will quickly learn what you need.

2. dehydration - depriving your body of adequate water is harmful, so drink regularly even when you don't feel thirst. By the time you feel thirst you are already in the first stages of dehydration which can lead from mild thirst to headaches to fatigue, sun stroke and muscle and tendon soreness - yes your tendons need water - keep hydrated

3. diuretics - coffee and alcohol increase our loss of water - be mindful that beer and wine the night before may increase your need for water the next day so plan for it -

4. efficiency - As your body becomes more efficient during your walk your requirement for water will change and you may find yourself carrying less, only you can monitor your body - keep hydrated

5. If you have extra water, and the weight is bothering you and you've assessed that you will be able to fill up soon, bathe your face and hands and feel the luxury

Probably none of these thoughts are new to you but all of us need little reminders that water is essential - enjoy your Camino - keep hydrated and stay healthy!

maggie

€149,-
If you are carrying too much and part of the extra is water then drink it :) At least that way you lighten your pack and won't dehydrate.
That is our philosophy anyway.

We actually reckon to half fill our bottles most days but will add the extra if we think we'll need it so this is a semi-serious suggestion.

[Edit: 11/02/12 - 20.15- We use bottled water not tap or fountains. Buy a big one at night, drink some and fill bottles with the rest.]

Six weeks is a long time lag for symptoms, and it leaves a long time after the Camino to have acquired the disease including the plane ride. A doctor might try to place the blame on Spain, but I personally would be a bit skeptical about the connection unless he was able to test the suspected source. If you get symptoms while still in Spain, it could be from water, food, dehydration, a virus, or a cold. Blaming it on the water is a bit too facile for me. There is no immunity to the following sicknesses, so the local people would be getting as sick as the pilgrims from them. Symptoms begin within two days to two weeks, making six weeks somewhat speculative. Properly labeled Spanish water is completely safe.

Giardia Protozoa in 2 to 21 days, lasts 1 to 2 weeks diarrhea, vomiting, cramps
Cryptosporidium Protozoa begin in 1 to 2 weeks, lasts 2 to 4 weeks diarrhea, vomiting, cramps
Cyclospora Protozoa begin in 1 week, lasts several weeks diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, weight loss
Microsporidium Protozoa diarrhea, bronchitis
E. Coli Bacteria begin in 2 to 4 days, lasts 8 days severe abdominal pain, watery and bloody diarrhea, sometimes vomiting.

falcon269 said:
Giardia Protozoa in 2 to 21 days, lasts 1 to 2 weeks diarrhea, vomiting, cramps
Cryptosporidium Protozoa begin in 1 to 2 weeks, lasts 2 to 4 weeks diarrhea, vomiting, cramps
Cyclospora Protozoa begin in 1 week, lasts several weeks diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, weight loss
Microsporidium Protozoa diarrhea, bronchitis
E. Coli Bacteria begin in 2 to 4 days, lasts 8 days severe abdominal pain, watery and bloody diarrhea, sometimes vomiting.

This enough to drive me to bottled water :roll:
Now when I've walked in the Lake District & Scotish hills/mountains I've always drank the water from the streams, I find it amazing stuff, where you get an instant lift or kick in your step, I just loved it, sort of said a prayer everytime, please no bugs, & thankfully seemed to survive :) You just cannot beat fresh running cold water, I'd imagine Canadian rivers to be even better :D

€149,-
You'd be wise not to drink any untreated water here in Canada.
In my neck of the woods, those who do, often develop "beaver fever", or giardiasis, caused by animal poop in the water. Makes you very very sick. So it's a case of "Do you feel lucky today? Well do you?"

I'm terrified now! Goodness knows how I survived my Caminos! :D

Buen Camino!

I know some people who use water bladders (Camelbaks, Platypuses) don´t clean or sterilize them nearly often enough. They join the Dark Side very quickly, and can make you very sick indeed.
But then you can blame it on "bad water," and it sounds so rugged and romantic!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Almha:

I prefer to drink Gatorade or an equivalent. It provides all the salt, sugars and carbs I naturally am losing while walking. I did not have much trouble finding these products on the Camino. I usually started the day with 40oz. or 1.2l's. Typically that was enough for the whole day. Occasionally I supplemented this with a couple of cerveza's if it was a warm day :D .

That said, many people I walked with only drank water and refilled their bottles from fountains and bars along the way, without any ill effects.

Ultreya,
Joe

Hi Almha,

I consider myself a big water drinker (some friends would even nickname me a camel :) ) and I got along well with a 1-liter bottle. You'll have ample opportunities to fill up your bottle on most days. On the (very!) few days where there aren't as many water fountains, you just make sure your bottle is full and you do stop when you come across a water point. I like the notion of having water in you rather than on you...I found there was really no need to carry more than 1 liter at any given time, and again, I'm used to drinking a lot of water even without walking. Not sure if you consider a bottle vs. a bladder as well...I personally prefer a bottle. It is much easier to clean and you can use it in the evenings while wondering around town. A bladder makes it easier to drink while walking, but if your backpack has a side pocket, it makes it almost as accessible. Either way, I'm not sure how much your backpack weighs at the moment, but there are many things I'd take out before compromising water beyond taking 1 liter. Water included, my backpack weighed 8.5 kilograms.

Buen Camino!
Michal
--
http://michalrinkevich.wordpress.com/tag/camino-de-santiago/

I learned, "Esta agua es bueno para beber?"

All good ideas. Sitting here before going, I'm inclined to (1) carry my two bottles that together hold about .5 litres, place them one on each side of pack (2) sometimes fill one of them with gatorade (3) fill the other one with bottled water someties, ad (4) fill them as needed with good water at villages I pass through. I"m sure it'll be fine.

What about bathrooms? What about all that drinking? You men have it easy!

Almha

A selection of Camino Jewellery
almhath said:
What about bathrooms? What about all that drinking? You men have it easy!
You will find bathrooms at bars and cafes. The price is a cup of coffee.

Or a bottle of water!

Regards.

Tia Valeria wrote [Edit: 11/02/12 - 20.15- We use bottled water not tap or fountains. Buy a big one at night, drink some and fill bottles with the rest.][/quote]

Better still, buy a litre carton of milk in the evening, drink half the next morning, fill one of your 0.5L bottles with the rest and the other with water.....

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Given the chemicals put into our USA drinking water, including chlorine and fluoride, I quite prefer the drinking water from the fountains in Spain.

I agree that what often makes people sick is either exposure to a flu bug in tightly packed albergues or nasty water bladders that haven't been properly cleaned. They're breeding grounds for problems. :twisted:

Bottled water... well.. MAYBE it's been purified, or maybe there's just a hose behind the machine filling those bottles with plain old tapwater. :roll: Then there's the added issue of disposing of all those insidious plastic bottles that take millenia to break down, if they ever do. :!:

Take your own bottle. Fill it at every fountain.
Stop worrying.
I'm becoming a firm believer in you get what you focus on... :wink:

"Given the chemicals put into our USA drinking water, including chlorine and fluoride, I quite prefer the drinking water from the fountains in Spain."

So you prefer what you don't know to what you do?

And flouride is there for a good reason...perhaps part of the reason why americans all have the teeth that they tend to be so proud of, apart from the phenomenal amount of money they spend on private health care that is. We have flouride in tap water in the UK as well. And so do most developed countries, including, no doubt, Spain.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I bought a water bottle at REI that has a screw on lid attached to a tube - like the bladder. I carry the bottle in the side pocket of my backpack and loop the tube over my shoulder. Quick & easy.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Rebekah Scott said:
I know some people who use water bladders (Camelbaks, Platypuses) don´t clean or sterilize them nearly often enough. They join the Dark Side very quickly, and can make you very sick indeed.
But then you can blame it on "bad water," and it sounds so rugged and romantic!
While there is some risk from not cleaning the bladder, tube and mouthpiece, the greatest risk that I saw on the camino occurred when pilgrims would take off their packs, and the bite valve would drop onto the ground and come into contact with whatever was there. Yuk!

Serendipitously, I carried a bladder (Source) that has a cover for the bite valve. That protected the bite valve when it was on, but didn't mean that I remembered to replace it all the time. If I forgot, then the mouthpiece would need to be cleaned before I used it again.

Regards,

IMHO, people worry too much about these things.
Just start walking, and use common sense. On the Camino Frances, the water is abundant and clean and clear, unless something tells you otherwise. Top up when you see a good fountain. It´s a no-brainer. No special equipment or sterilizers needed. Just carry extra water the day after Carrion de los Condes, and that other day after Calzadilla de los Hermanillos.
No problems. (I have only ever run out of water on the other caminos.)
And don´t throw your empties on the ground when you are finished, or I will hunt you down and hand them all back to you.

Good ideas here! The best way to stay healthy on the Camino and at home is to wash your hands thoroughly when you have the chance. That means soap and water for at least 15 seconds with attention to all surfaces. Many bathrooms do not have soap, so bring your own. Use hand sanitizer when you need to. And especially clean your hands before you eat. I will now step down from my handwashing soapbox!
I promise to maintain my Camelbak and keep the bite valve clean, too.
Everything else is up to the Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.