A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Water

I'm aiming to do the Camino in May 2008. Can anyone tell me about the availability of water, please?

I intend to take my 2 litre camelbak...will I be able to fill it in most/all towns?

I've done a bit of walking in Northern Spain and I know that a lot of towns/villages have fountains where the water is potable. What's it like on the Camino?

I presume that most towns and villages have shops/cafes/bars where water is on sale...but these are likely to be few and far between on a day's walking...I presume it's best to set off each morning with as much water as you can carry???

Grateful for any help/advice.

Love life.

Red Kite

Advertisment

William Marques

Staff member
Donating Member
I'm aiming to do the Camino in May 2008. Can anyone tell me about the availability of water, please?
There is plenty of availability of water at fountains, shops and bars.

I intend to take my 2 litre camelbak...will I be able to fill it in most/all towns?
Yes

I've done a bit of walking in Northern Spain and I know that a lot of towns/villages have fountains where the water is potable. What's it like on the Camino?
Just the same

I presume that most towns and villages have shops/cafes/bars where water is on sale...but these are likely to be few and far between on a day's walking...I presume it's best to set off each morning with as much water as you can carry???
The Camino is not a wilderness trail there are very few sections (the one after Carrion de los Condes springs to mind) where you will not pass through a village or town or two during your day. Look at your day and take what you feel suits you, I know this differs from person to person.

All the above remarks apply to the Camino Frances. On other caminos like the Via de la Plata there are more long stages where water conservation needs to be considered.

Buen Camino
William

jeff001

I presume it's best to set off each morning with as much water as you can carry???
There are only a few places where you might need more than 1L at a time. In addition to the fountains you can always get water from the taps in bars, etc. and these are rarely more than 2-3 hours apart.

Trudy

Camino(s) past & future
(2006) Roncesvalles to Leon (2007) Leon to Compostela
I drink a lot of water, walking or not, and found there was no place on the Camino Frances where I needed to carry more than 1 litre. I used 6ooml bottles, the type you buy water in, and just reused them. Sometimes not even filling them right up, as I knew there were plenty of fountains and places to refill them along the way.

The water is potable in most fountains and, if not, is labelled as such.

Advertisment

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 18 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 67 17.0%
  • May

Votes: 104 26.4%
  • June