• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Waterproof footwear - pros and cons

Karl G

Time of past OR future Camino
August and September 2019 - Arles
This topic tends to elicit strong opinions whenever it comes up. So, in hopes of providing a very thorough and balanced reference to provide guidance, I am posting this resource that I recently came across. Some key information you’ll find in the article:
- How and why waterproof materials work
- Not all waterproof materials are the same - who has the best stats?
- What conditions merit the use of waterproof footwear - and which ones do not

There are more nuances to the topic than I was previously aware of and hopefully the information in the attached helps this debate become more productive and informed.

Bon chemin!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
This topic tends to elicit strong opinions whenever it comes up. So, in hopes of providing a very thorough and balanced reference to provide guidance, I am posting this resource that I recently came across. Some key information you’ll find in the article:
- How and why waterproof materials work
- Not all waterproof materials are the same - who has the best stats?
- What conditions merit the use of waterproof footwear - and which ones do not

There are more nuances to the topic than I was previously aware of and hopefully the information in the attached helps this debate become more productive and informed.

Bon chemin!
We wear waterproof (for real!) socks. Love them!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We wear waterproof (for real!) socks. Love them!
Have you worn them in snow/slush? Have they kept your feet war,? Do they dry quickly. I know that may sound silly as they are waterproof but they must absorb some water. I walk in October-December and always have walked with non waterproof trail runners. I have thought about walking later in winter and thought to still wear the same trail runners I always have worn. I would wear the waterproof socks when necessary.

…and perhaps I should have mentioned that if you click on the FAQ link you’ll see some other useful articles - e.g. tread patterns, sizing and fitting, etc. 👍

Have you worn them in snow/slush? Have they kept your feet war,? Do they dry quickly. I know that may sound silly as they are waterproof but they must absorb some water. I walk in October-December and always have walked with non waterproof trail runners. I have thought about walking later in winter and thought to still wear the same trail runners I always have worn. I would wear the waterproof socks when necessary.
I bought two pairs of Sealskinz waterproof socks that I have been using on remote mountain trails that require creek crossings. If the water level is above the top of the socks, which is common, the water gets in anyway, so they haven't been more useful to me than regular hiking socks. I also found that I needed to wear a silk liner with them because the Sealskinz fabric is a little rough and can rub a hotspot, especially after they get wet. Laundry instructions say to hang dry, which takes at least a day. On the other hand, I also bought Sealskinz gloves and a hat and they work great.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I do agree that having one pair of waterproof socks with you is a great idea.

May to September in Spain I would not want to hike in anything other than non-water resistant trail runners. If I would ever hike Camino in the colder months, then I would consider water resistant shoes (still one pair of waterproof socks are a must have!). Next year I want to do Via de la Plata in March/April and will still go with normal trail runners, since its very warm going 600km through the desert.

My worst Camino experience was walking Camino Portuguese from Lisbon in hiking shoes. I thought that having water resistant shoes was most important for an enjoyable Camino. Jokes on me. The trail is 75% improved surfaces. I would have preferred cheap sneakers for their soft treads. I did my first Camino Frances in cheap sneakers and liked it a lot. Now I have switched to trail runners and have found my perfect balance.

Like the article said, then for long distances you want your feet to properly breathe. I needed to even take off trail runners several times a day to air my feet when hiking CF during a heatwave last Summer.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.