• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Waterproof Jacket

goldie from aus

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2023
Calling all Aussie’s looking for serious waterproof jacket. I bought a lightweight waterproof breathable, and it was great light drizzle all good. Then, if anyone out there is a Melbournite yesterday was the jackets downfall. Major soaking all the way through - after about 70 mins ☹. So, I’m looking for inspiration – to that, people in the know what sort of mm tested should I be looking at, is Tested to 10,000mm enough. Ta heaps 🥶

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have a Marmot Precip rain jacket and it has served me well. I had 3 days of rain on my recent Camino Ingles and it held up fine, without overheating me. I had the pit-zips open. Then I wore it for a heavy rain filled 3-hour hike near home and didn't notice any leaks.

I live in the rainy Seattle area and I’ve been testing jackets in the rain with a pack for 10k hikes. In the last few weeks I’ve tried the Columbia Outdry, REI Drypoint Goretex, Outdoor Research Foray II, and an Altus Atmospheric poncho. All kept me dry from the rain, but I sweated in most of them keeping a 3mph pace. None breathed as well as the poncho, and I didn’t need a pack cover. I see why so many on the Camino buy the Altus.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I live in the rainy Seattle area and I’ve been testing jackets in the rain with a pack for 10k hikes. In the last few weeks I’ve tried the Columbia Outdry, REI Drypoint Goretex, Outdoor Research Foray II, and an Altus Atmospheric poncho. All kept me dry from the rain, but I sweated in most of them keeping a 3mph pace. None breathed as well as the poncho, and I didn’t need a pack cover. I see why so many on the Camino buy the Altus.
Thank YOU Derek— for Test driving all the jackets for us. I had my eye on the Altus Atmospheric Pocho—
I’m on the West Coast—where have you gone to test out all this rain gear(?) REI? 🛍️🛍️🛍️

Thanks for that - sweating's never good. Was the one you tested a Altus Atmosperic H30 poncho, if so is the sizing quite loose.

Thanks for that - sweating's never good. Was the one you tested a Altus Atmosperic H30 poncho, if so is the sizing quite loose.
The Altus Atmospheric was nice and loose and that helped it breathe. The Outdoor Research Foray jacket had side zips that went all the way to your armpit, but it was cooler in the poncho not having jacket material between the backpack and myself. I’m returning the jackets this week and walking in the Altus from now on.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank YOU Derek— for Test driving all the jackets for us. I had my eye on the Altus Atmospheric Pocho—
I’m on the West Coast—where have you gone to test out all this rain gear(?) REI? 🛍️🛍️🛍️
REI and Nordstrom as their return policy is great. The poncho came from Caminoteca.

The Altus Atmospheric was nice and loose and that helped it breathe. The Outdoor Research Foray jacket had side zips that went all the way to your armpit, but it was cooler in the poncho not having jacket material between the backpack and myself. I’m returning the jackets this week and walking in the Altus from now on.
Great feedback… when is Your Camino beginning?— where at?
I’ll do the Frances…. In mid-October… and I’m expecting some rain and the Altus will be great-☔☔

Great feedback… when is Your Camino beginning?— where at?
I’ll do the Frances…. In mid-October… and I’m expecting some rain and the Altus will be great-☔☔
Camino de Madrid this year. Doing the Lana next year. I’m hoping to move to Spain eventually and so I walk a section then I scout locations to live before going home.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I had my eye on the Altus Atmospheric Pocho—
I’m on the West Coast—where have you gone to test out all this rain gear(?) REI?
Unfortunately, you can't buy an Altus in the US. You can order one from Caminoteca in Pamplona

Or if you are going to start from SJPdP you can reserve one at Boutique du Pelerin

REI and Nordstrom as their return policy is great. The poncho came from Caminoteca.
I’m an REI member—I’ll pick it up there— thanks again.. you have totally saved me hours of research 😉🛍️☔
Camino de Madrid this year. Doing the Lana next year. I’m hoping to move to Spain eventually and so I walk a section then I scout locations to live before going home.
great plan… check out before you move—

I'm using a Patagonia Torrentshell 3L rain jacket. 20k waterproofing and material breathability. Most importantly it has big pit zips without mesh. This way I can actually breathe when walking in warmer weather.

I have tested walking with a poncho in the past and the main feature I do not like is that rainwater will run right across your face. Better hiking jackets have a small beak and structure inside the hood to keep things where they need to be.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm using a Patagonia Torrentshell 3L rain jacket. 20k waterproofing and material breathability. Most importantly it has big pit zips without mesh. This way I can actually breathe when walking in warmer weather.

I have tested walking with a poncho in the past and the main feature I do not like is that rainwater will run right across your face. Better hiking jackets have a small beak and structure inside the hood to keep things where they need to be.
Thanks for that - that one I can source here.

Hi Goldie,
I have a North Face jacket, I think it is the Venture 2 model (bought a few years ago). It's lightweight and has pit zips, has always worked well the few times I've needed it in the rain (including hiking in NZ). I have used it more often as a windbreaker, and it is excellent for that. 🙂 You should be able to find one at any of our major outdoor stores.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I used the Altus in torrential rain. It was amazing

Calling all Aussie’s looking for serious waterproof jacket. I bought a lightweight waterproof breathable, and it was great light drizzle all good. Then, if anyone out there is a Melbournite yesterday was the jackets downfall. Major soaking all the way through - after about 70 mins ☹. So, I’m looking for inspiration – to that, people in the know what sort of mm tested should I be looking at, is Tested to 10,000mm enough. Ta heaps 🥶
Very,very expensive, but there is nothing better than Arcteryx for waterproof, light, breathable.

I have a Marmot Precip rain jacket and it has served me well. I had 3 days of rain on my recent Camino Ingles and it held up fine, without overheating me. I had the pit-zips open. Then I wore it for a heavy rain filled 3-hour hike near home and didn't notice any leaks.
Mine does well in all sorts of rain - light rain to Monsoons... definitely need the pit-zips open on warmer days.

I’ll give another thumbs up for the Patagonia Torrent rain jacket. Never had one problem with it when I walked last fall. However, I did end up buying a long poncho in Sarria because no matter what jacket you get, the shoulder straps on your pack will get wet with just a rain jacket and a pack cover.

I was about to buy a new Marmot Precip (mine is 10 years old and all the lining inside is disintegrating so I can’t re-treat it). I see that they have changed the name to Marmot Precip Eco and wonder what that means. The gear website I frequently use to get reviews of outdoor gear ranks it pretty highly, but ranks two others slightly higher — Black Diamond Stormline and REI Zero Dry GTX. Those two are both a bit more expensive, but wonder if anyone has experience with them.

Attachments

• CEEB6BA2-D8D9-4DB6-A2FF-8286A0907D37.png
    CEEB6BA2-D8D9-4DB6-A2FF-8286A0907D37.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 39
My Mountain Hardwear jacket kept me dry and comfortable while walking through the remnants of a tropical storm near Portomarin so that was not only torrential rain but lots of wind! I wish I could say that my pants and boots had performed as well! My husband's Columbia jacket failed miserably. Fortunately, our important papers were in ziplock baggies.

I have a Mont-Bell Versalite Jacket. A bit spendy $250, but is super lightweight (5.8 oz, 165g). It has zip pits, hood, great breathability (no sweat inside) & at the same time great in keeping the rain out. I think you have to order directly from Mont-bell. Www.Montbell.com

I have used it for multiple day hikes & on CF. Kept rain out, no sweat buildup, and served as a great outer layer (wind) on chilly mornings.

there was a great YouTube video comparing rain jackets for hiking That helped me make my decision. So just search for Montbell Versalite Rain jacket.

I tried other rain jackets (Columbia, Marmot, Patagonia, REI) but they either failed the weight (too heavy/bulky), not breathable (made me sweat) or could not handle the rain. The only other brand I was thinking about was Arcteryx, but very expensive..

I see that they have changed the name to Marmot Precip Eco and wonder what that means.
I bought 2 of them in 2021. They are not the "Eco" model and I don't know what the difference is? I use one for hiking and one for golf. Looking back, I paid $79 each which I think was a great deal for what you get. I didn't know that this jacket is on the lower end pricing of rain jackets because it doesn't show.

I can recommend the Marmot Precip Jacket. Lightweight and very packable, but most importantly highly waterproof.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I brought a Patagonia Torrentshell 3 it leaked after an hour in heavy rain;pockets were zipped up but had water in them!
I wore my Haglof LIM jacket (230grms and 28000 mm h/head) on Camino in 8 hours of heavy rain and stayed dry! But it only has a chest pocket for a phone and that's it.
Woody

Among the variables to consider for rain gear is how they are worn. Generously sized jackets can be worn over the pack in quiet rain with maximum ventilation. In driving rain and cold temperatures, or even high winds and cold, a zipped up jacket is likely to keep you more comfortable than a poncho. The coldest pilgrims we've met have been in ponchos (very high winds and heavy rain). Hoods also are nice in high sustained winds for warmth and to block sound! Does anyone still use Frogg Toggs, classic light weight version? The jacket and rain pants, and an umbrella have been in our basic kit. They are extremely light in weight, wind and water proof, breath better than our gortex gear and are very inexpensive. They are low in fashion points and are not for thrashing through brush.

My experience with "breathable" waterproof jackets is they are waterproof only for awhile, days to months, don't breath enough to justify the claim, and remain sweatboxes long after the waterproofing is no longer is reliable. Over the years I've been fooled by a number of them (what's wrong with me?), including Gortex, several from REI, and others. REI's warranty now is only 1yr, so I was out of luck when an expensive jacket that worked well in a sustained downpour when new failed miserably when the next time I wore it was out of warranty - this can be a safety problem in mountains, etc.

Two types have worked the best for us, both not "breathable". Inexpensive vinyl or rubber coated rain gear from L.L. Bean, absolutely waterproof for several decades before the coating finally peeled but also on the heavy side. The other is siliconized nylon fabric, very light weight but still waterproof at 5 yrs.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I’m returning the jackets this week and walking in the Altus from now on.

I too like the Altus for both enclosing the pack and keeping me dry to my knees.

One thing I don't like about the Altus and a poncho is the difficulty I have encountered putting either on when rain (and wind) strikes unexpectedly while walking.

The mechanics of:
1) finding somewhere to place the Altus (or poncho) while putting on the pack;
2) donning the garment with even mild wind while trying to get it over the pack.

As I walk alone, a nearby walker is often hard to encounter at times like this.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong)

I too like the Altus for both enclosing the pack and keeping me dry to my knees.

One thing I don't like about the Altus and a poncho is the difficulty I have encountered putting either on when rain (and wind) strikes unexpectedly while walking.

The mechanics of:
2) donning the garment with even mild wind while trying to get it over the pack.

I put my arms into the sleeves and turn and face into the wind while leaning forward and the wind, and the poncho kind of slides over me. I was walking in the wind and rain the other day and someone I walked by said I looked like Superman with his cape. (My poncho is red, the only one they had in my size) Needless to say I’ll be buying a blue one this year…

I’ll give another thumbs up for the Patagonia Torrent rain jacket. Never had one problem with it when I walked last fall. However, I did end up buying a long poncho in Sarria because no matter what jacket you get, the shoulder straps on your pack will get wet with just a rain jacket and a pack cover.
Hi, I live in five days a new time to order a poncho. Apparently it has been raining a lot. I’d like to have something to cover my pack because I can’t find my pack cover from years ago. Can I ask where in Sarria you got your poncho?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Try OR Helium.

Having walked the CF in the cold winter of 2019 with plenty of rain I would give my 2 cents, Altus atmosperic works best but you still get a bit wet, wear a cap and cinch the head cover tightly, the cap will keep some of the rain from entering the face. Also used a Black Diamond Stormshell mostly to layer with fleece as a windbreaker, works really well for this, better than walking with a puffy as you can regulate temp better with pittzips. In driving Spanish rain the Stormshell or Torrentshell + packcover is a joke and will not keep you dry and the Altus is best option.

Having walked the CF in the cold winter of 2019 with plenty of rain I would give my 2 cents, Altus atmosperic works best but you still get a bit wet, wear a cap and cinch the head cover tightly, the cap will keep some of the rain from entering the face. Also used a Black Diamond Stormshell mostly to layer with fleece as a windbreaker, works really well for this, better than walking with a puffy as you can regulate temp better with pittzips. In driving Spanish rain the Stormshell or Torrentshell + packcover is a joke and will not keep you dry and the Altus is best option.
Great real world feedback …thank you so much— my Altus will be delivered probably in the next 10 days… I’m excited. I’ll def check out the Black Diamond Stormshell 👍

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Snugpak patrol poncho has worked well for me...even along the Portuguese coast in rain storms.

The mechanics of:

This made me laugh thinking of first few times using the Altus, definitely awkward. So pro tip after having walked half a CF in driving rain, hold the altus in front of you, open zipped in same direction you would wear it, and then fling the whole thing over your head and off you go. My favourite picture of an Altus raincoat below, little red riding hood off to grandma's house!

Attachments

• 475ABCDA-B3D0-446C-863B-57E76409D71A.jpeg
    475ABCDA-B3D0-446C-863B-57E76409D71A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
Little Red Riding Hood— haha..
I can see that I’m gonna need to practice “THAT slinging the Altus on quick and over my head and Pack”👍😂

With the Altus on days that look like it might rain you can put the Altus on over your pack, but tuck the hood over the top and the sleeves can either be tied around your waist or tucked under your shoulder straps. Then when it does start to rain you only need to pull out the sleeves and put them on, and pull up the hood.

With the Altus on days that look like it might rain you can put the Altus on over your pack, but tuck the hood over the top and the sleeves can either be tied around your waist or tucked under your shoulder straps. Then when it does start to rain you only need to pull out the sleeves and put them on, and pull up the hood.
Great suggestion—- I can see that as being a good action plan.
I got an update from USPS— my Altus is traveling the World without me… “it” just left TheNeatherlands 😂-should be delivered on Saturday 👍

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Sounds like you are almost set, last couple of thoughts on rain prep, use a trash or contractor bag as a pack liner and keep your sleeping clothes and sleeping bag/liner in a drybag. On shoes, walking in rain for several hours NO shoes stay dry, goretex hahaha, the rain comes through the top of any boot so boots will get wet and then very hard to get goretex or leather dry. Go with trail runners with drainage, they will get wet quicker but also dry quicker. Make sure to spread vaseline on your clean dry feet and between toes every morning and take off wet shoes and socks when stopping and let your feet dry out to avoid blisters. There are waterproof socks on the market if you expect serious rain, would buy socks like that on route if needed.

Just dont lose it!

Sounds like you are almost set, last couple of thoughts on rain prep, use a trash or contractor bag as a pack liner and keep your sleeping clothes and sleeping bag/liner in a drybag. On shoes, walking in rain for several hours NO shoes stay dry, goretex hahaha, the rain comes through the top of any boot so boots will get wet and then very hard to get goretex or leather dry. Go with trail runners with drainage, they will get wet quicker but also dry quicker. Make sure to spread vaseline on your clean dry feet and between toes every morning and take off wet shoes and socks when stopping and let your feet dry out to avoid blisters. There are waterproof socks on the market if you expect serious rain, would buy socks like that on route if needed.
Great ideas….
I got a “Dry bag” my Backpack is a 40l and I got a 45l dry bag… that I’m using essentially as a dry liner…. Lots of ppl were saying that Pack covers were basically worthless… so I went the Dry bag route.
I’ve got some Foot glide for my feet. I’ve been waking/hiking at home in preparation.. I’ve got sick liners.. with Darn tough socks… no indication of blisters— trying to break in my shoes- I got trail runners from Hoka- I normally wear Hoka shoes -they are great.
Yes-getting very close… eppp!😂👍-thanks!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I got my Altus rain coat today in the mail
It’s perfect- the length is perfect.. but I definitely need a jacket underneath— I’ll be looking at getting a jacket for warmth now 👍

I’ll be looking at getting a jacket for warmth now

I write not knowing what other clothing you have when en route.

Rather than have several one-purpose tops (such as Altus and a Jacket) I suggest you consider the "layers" approach.

This involves adding more layers the colder it gets. Having said that I am conscious the cold (and heat) are in the "eye of the beholder"

Outer layer is both wind and rain proof - Altus is a good example - I wear a parka (and rain kilt).

My experience suggests wearing up to three inner layers:
1) short sleeve top - for me 150 gsm (a) merino (b)
2) long sleeve top - for me 180-200 gsm merino
3) short sleeve top - for me 150 gsm merino

For me July is my mid winter - day break temperatures around 5 Celsius
My starting wear is either a short and long sleeve top or, if really windy, one of those plus outer layer
As both the day and I warm up, I expect to shed the current top layer within about an hour.

You can also search the forum for "layers" and see what you get.

(a) gsm = grams per square metre - and indication of the weight of the garment
(b) merino = merino wool - breathes - absorbs body odours - wash every 3-4 days - dries quickly

@SFHoneybee I say kia kaha, kia māia, kia manawanui (take care, be strong, brave and confident)

I write not knowing what other clothing you have when en route.

Rather than have several one-purpose tops (such as Altus and a Jacket) I suggest you consider the "layers" approach.

This involves adding more layers the colder it gets. Having said that I am conscious the cold (and heat) are in the "eye of the beholder"

Outer layer is both wind and rain proof - Altus is a good example - I wear a parka (and rain kilt).

My experience suggests wearing up to three inner layers:
1) short sleeve top - for me 150 gsm (a) merino (b)
2) long sleeve top - for me 180-200 gsm merino
3) short sleeve top - for me 150 gsm merino

For me July is my mid winter - day break temperatures around 5 Celsius
My starting wear is either a short and long sleeve top or, if really windy, one of those plus outer layer
As both the day and I warm up, I expect to shed the current top layer within about an hour.

You can also search the forum for "layers" and see what you get.

(a) gsm = grams per square metre - and indication of the weight of the garment
(b) merino = merino wool - breathes - absorbs body odours - wash every 3-4 days - dries quickly

@SFHoneybee I say kia kaha, kia māia, kia manawanui (take care, be strong, brave and confident)
Absolutely great info-thank you.
Yes— very helpful.

The Altus is “thinner” that I thought…but that’s okay.. it’s meant to protect me from getting wet—and seems really good wind proof too.

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation.

I was just thinking.. how many layers I will need. Short sleeve + long sleeve + short sleeve… Sounds perfect. I e got some colder mornings by me now… well.. not so cold… 45F… it’s the weather that I can try out my gear.

Perfect information at the perfect time.
Much appreciated 🙏
I’m a beekeeper in San Francisco— it just never gets so cold here 😂
@AlwynWellington

I think you’ll find with the poncho on you’ll be warmer thank you think. It blocks the wind well, and like all rainwear doesn’t breathe that great. I tested mine in near freezing weather and definitely didn’t need additional layers.

I think you’ll find with the poncho on you’ll be warmer thank you think. It blocks the wind well, and like all rainwear doesn’t breathe that great. I tested mine in near freezing weather and definitely didn’t need additional layers.
Ohh— I can see that. Even getting “muggy/sweaty”—
I’m happy with my Altus .. and a few layers— is perfect 👍

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.