• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Waterproof pants

Katia Taam

Time of past OR future Camino
Every year, since 2000. Most times portuguese camino also twice the french camiño. Two time Le Puy .
Hi all
I´ll be on my way october/november so I do need a pair of watrproof pants.
Last time I walked I used a very light pair that had nice and practical zippers so I could put on and take off easily. The problem is I can´t remember wich was the brand. I recall it was a spanish one I´ve bought on amazon. I live in Brazil and there are not many options here.
Sugestions?
Thanks

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In the past I have used three-layer membrane, gaiters and a two layer membrane. While not significantly lighter, I have pretty much settled on the two layer. My current ones are from Bergans of Norway, but there are many others on the market that should offer very similar rain and wind protection.

In colder conditions, they will work really well, but if it is warmer, there is always the issue that you will be pushing out hard enough to raise a sweat, and that moisture will be stopped from getting out as well as your waterproofs stop the rain getting in.

Hi all
I´ll be on my way october/november so I do need a pair of watrproof pants.
Last time I walked I used a very light pair that had nice and practical zippers so I could put on and take off easily. The problem is I can´t remember wich was the brand. I recall it was a spanish one I´ve bought on amazon. I live in Brazil and there are not many options here.
Sugestions?
Thanks

I use a rain skirt/kilt if I need more protection than my poncho provides.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks everyone...

I walk the caminos in October/November and took North Face rain pants for my latest walk, on the VdlP. The model is HyVent 2.5L. They weigh about 220 g. They can be put on or removed without taking off footwear, because of zippered legs. Most important, they are very breathable, so I have never sweated in them. And they are cozy to wear over pants on cold dry days. I shall be taking them again on my camino this autumn.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My husband and I mailed our rain pants home from Logroño. Not worth the weight. A hassle to take on and off. The next Camino we brought rain skirts. Light as a feather and work well in everything but a huge all-day downpour. And in our experience, those days are rare. (Maybe we have been lucky?)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I used 2 layer rain pants (Marmot Precips), and they were fine. But were I to do it again, I'd go with my silnylon rainskirt that I have since purchased, as many others have mentioned.
But, on our CP, my daughter and I became friends with a young woman who was traveling very light. She had a single pair of shorts, and had, for rainy weather, a rain skirt she made from a plastic garbage bag that she said worked amazingly well and weighed next to nothing. I think she used the cinch straps that were part of the bag to tie it around her waist, then just cut the bottom open. There she is on the right, at the Ponte de Lima bridge statue.

Attachments

• IMG_3651.JPG
    IMG_3651.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
The rain kilt has only been around for a few years but are growing in popularity as they are really all that is needed. And, nothing provides greater breathability.

Having said that, it looks like, "LIGHT," rain pants with a zippered leg for ease of putting on or taking off, would be the next best option. Keeping dry under the protective layer is so essential. If perspiration cannot vent out, it will make you as cold as if you never had a rain layer.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back