• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Experienced pilgrims - opinions on waterproof socks?

Dani7

Stop wishing, start doing.
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2023 from Bayonne.
Camino Podiensis & CF 2026
Hello everyone :)

I’m wondering about wet feet as I will be travelling the Frances from last week of April and walking until first week of June 2023. I have a Ferrino poncho to keep myself and my pack dry but I’m wondering what walking with wet feet will do to them should I encounter a few days of wet weather in a row.

Weather being so unpredictable, my question is “For pilgrims who have used them, what was the brand and did they do the job for you? We’re you glad you had them?”

Thanks so much 😊

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have used seal skinz and on my last trip i used a pair of unbranded orienteering socks in neoprene. I walk in sandals only and long days so a day with a lot of rain they keep my feet dry a couple of hours but eventually the water will come in or you sweat so you get damp anyway. But for me it works fine my feet don’t get “water sick” and no blisters due to wet feet. I have them over a pair of injini toe socks.

The seal skinz are a bit sensitive to sand etc and the membrane is easily worn out so it is a high cost for the number of times you can use them.

I have a pair of Sealskinz waterproof socks that indeed keep my feet dry. I wear hiking sandals on the Camino and they work particularly well together.

The waterproof socks are thicker than regular socks, and kind of stiff feeling. You'd have to see how they fit with your shoes.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have used both Dexshell and Showers Pass. They are both fantastic and well worth the cost. Several years ago, I walked multiple days in a row in the rain and cold. My feet stayed dry and warm. They are also good for stream crossings (assuming that the water does not go over the top of the sock). I have not used the socks in warm weather.

The only way to know is to buy a pair and test them out on at 25Km hike on your own feet! Test socks and all other equipment thoroughly at home before your Camino.

-Paul

I think they’re worth it. Wet feet = blisters. I wear injini toe socks as a base layer and either EDZ waterproof socks for wet weather or Coolmax sock for dry weather. I always wear boots. Non gortex boots are cheaper and dry quicker.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In a high rain season - I would say they are worth it. I didn't need them on the Frances (and I walked many days in the rain). They would have been good to have on the Norte on ON ONE DAY ONLY when I had to walk through tall wet grass all day long and my laundry wasn't drying each night - so I had no dry socks to change into mid-day. I arrived in Oviedo and bought two more pairs of regular hiking socks so I would have more dry socks. walking in rain is usually fine even with non-goretex shoes. Walking in puddles and tall wet grass all day your feet will end up wet. I am hiking the VF this summer and will take one ankle length pair of waterproof socks as my 3rd pair of socks.

Hello everyone :)

I’m wondering about wet feet as I will be travelling the Frances from last week of April and walking until first week of June 2023. I have a Ferrino poncho to keep myself and my pack dry but I’m wondering what walking with wet feet will do to them should I encounter a few days of wet weather in a row.

Weather being so unpredictable, my question is “For pilgrims who have used them, what was the brand and did they do the job for you? We’re you glad you had them?”

Thanks so much 😊
I haven't used commercially available waterproof socks, but have used thin plastic bags (bread bags) under hiking boots when necessary - these are cheap and easily replaced, but slippery, especially when one doesn't have shoes on.

While waterproof socks will prevent outside water from getting in, they also will trap the vapor emitted from skin and if the humidity inside the barrier exceeds the dew point of the temperature at the barrier it will condense resulting in wet feet (rain jackets are susceptible to the same problem, which sometimes is mistaken for leaking). Whether or not you use a water barrier when it's wet out, one approach is to wear wool socks which can absorb some water while retaining some insulation and changing them often for a dry pair.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I recommend them, its rare on a long camino not to have multiple back to back days of rain...keeping your feet dry is a high priority...they work for me...I only use them on rainy days...

I recommend them, its rare on a long camino not to have multiple back to back days of rain...keeping your feet dry is a high priority...they work for me...I only use them on rainy days...
That depends on when you walk. When I walked in July and August 2016, 41 days walking and we never needed to use our rain gear. I won't say it never rained. But all the rain seemed to happen when we were stopped in a bar or at the albergue and was done by the time we started walking again - even in Galicia! Certainly not multiple back to back days of rain. I expect it is different at other times of year.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.