• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Waterproof Socks

almhath

I've been studying the differences in waterproof boots or shoes vs. not, and I think waterproof socks need to be added into the equation.

Is it reasonable that a waterproof boot or shoe be used if a waterproof SOCK be used with it?

Then, on a day's trek, if the feet gets wet---

--in a hard rain: after the rain, you could change your socks and keep going in dry feet?

--from an unavoidable puddle in the path: you could change your socks after?

The non-waterproof boot or shoe may dry more quickly by the next day, but even it it's damp, it may not matter if you have a waterproof sock you're wearing.

I was thinking two pair of waterproof socks could be brought and only worn (possibly) if expecting water or if boots/shoes are wet—or they could be incorporated with another sock liner as part of normal footwear for the Camino.

Is that something that could likely work? Might that solve the problem for folks who wish to wear non-waterproof boots/shoes, or for people who wear waterproof boots/shoes but that get wet inside anyway?

Me? I went to New Balance yesterday and bought a good pair of running shoes to consider for the Camino. They are very light, an impenetrable sole, stabilicore stuff for support, etc., but they're not waterproof at all. Extremely comfortable, but not waterproof. So I've been wondering if they'd work with a pair of waterproof socks added as part of the mix.

(Right now, it's a toss up between them and some Merrell boots I have that are well ventilated but also with goretex. The NB shoes are lighter.....and I'm still wondering why boots are so needed if the Camino is mostly a trek and not really a hike, that is: mostly on well-worn paths or paved, or something, but not mostly through off-road, rough country.)

Ideas? Thoughts?

Almha

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ooooops!

I made a mistake on that first note:

This: "...Is it reasonable that a waterproof boot or shoe be used if a waterproof SOCK be used with it?.."

Should add the word "NON-" to it, like this:

"...Is it reasonable that a NON-waterproof boot or shoe be used if a waterproof SOCK be used with it?"

Sorry.

Almha

almhath said:
Ooooops!
waterproof SOCK
Almha
Are there any? And if so, do they work, without blisters???
My advise: every day clean socks.
I used Falke socks. No blisters at all, lucky me.

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Not a fan of anything that holds water in my boots such as a "water proof" sock. Feet need to breathe, and if something really keeps the water out, it must keep the moisture in.
As Carli said, clean socks are key, if they get wet they should be changed, and often.

Arn

Hmmmm.. But if a waterproof/breathable sock is bad because it keeps moisture in, then isn't that the same issue with the waterproof liner in a waterproof/breathable boot? If it keeps water out, then it keeps moisture in hence moisture on the foot?

I was thing:

After a strong rain, and if the boots get soaked inside and out, whether waterproof or not, then the boots/shoes are wet. If one stops to change into dry normal socks, then the moisture from the boot will wet the new socks/feet. But if one put on "waterproof" socks,then the wet boot may not affect the foot so much.

I'm not thinking to wear these all day every day. I'm wondering about using a waterproof sock when the boots are wet, or when a non-waterproof boot is used and moisture is anticipated.

I was wondering about such as these:
http://www.amazon.com/All-Season-Mid-Ca ... roduct_top

Or are there others anyone may recommend?

Almha

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In my opinion, waterproof socks or shoes are an invitation for foot problems, including fungus and/or blisters.

Anything that keeps moisture OUT will also keep it IN.

My feet never sweat at home, but they do on the Camino!
Most feet will sweat (and it can be profusely) when you are walking 6 to 7 hours straight.
If you have waterproof socks, that means you will be walking in feet that will probably be more wet than if you simply wore trail shoes.

I've walked in all seasons except deep winter, and have never had a problem with wet feet.
I've worn New Balance trail shoes and/or runners - lightweight - NOT waterproof.
If they do get wet and the wet bothers me, I stop and put on dry socks.
The shoes have ALWAYS been dry next morning.

Another option is gaiters which will keep most of the rain out of your shoes. Sil uses those, which she made herself. I've never used them but am considering them this trip.

I also avoid having wet feet most of the time by wearing a long poncho like an ALTUS.

Hi Almha, as to your question about boots, do you really need them on the Camino? I'd say it depends on when you walk. I have been walking in July, August and September. Next year I will walk the aragones from Somport to Santiago in June, I always wear my teva fi walking sandals, even on the Primitivo with its mountains. I carry with me a pair of trekkingshoes for hard rain but hardly ever used them. Since you get wet anyway I walked with sandals most of the time on rainy days as well. You dont get cold in summer and I never had any blisters. At another time of year, when you have to expect more cold, maybe several days of rain and therefore also lots of mud on some parts of the Camino I would consider boots/halfboots. In summer you will see quite a lot of pilgrims walking in sandals even though we are a minority, personally I love them. (Always use a pair of socks with them, wouldn't get my feet clean in the evening if I didn't)
And- yes, like many others, I wouldn't go without my Altus.

Josefine

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Josephine, how much do those Tevas weigh? I'd like to try walking in them in the summer. Do the rocks get in your shoes when you wear the Tevas?

Anniesantiago said:
Josephine, how much do those Tevas weigh? I'd like to try walking in them in the summer. Do the rocks get in your shoes when you wear the Tevas?

have similar, ecco, very comfortable, however never walked in them for more than couple of hours.
Yes too stones, you develop a 'flick' or 'stubb' to remove while walking without stopping :lol: & you where them loose too, strangely don't get blisters this way & allows stone flicking easier :lol:

Annie, they weigh 450 gr, depending on the size of course, mine are 38. If you decide to buy a pair make sure its the true Teva fi for walking. There are other Teva sandals, cheaper ones, and they are not so good for long distances. I think Merrell also have good walking sandals but they don't fit my feet so I will stick to my Tevas. About stones, I don't think it's a problem, I get them but not very often.
Josefine

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In 2007 I wore sock liners and very expensive SealSkinz socks. http://www.sealskinz.com/socks
They are so waterproof that when you wash them you can hold them under a tap and fill them up like a balloon!
This was the first time, in all my years of walking, hiking, running marathons and ultra-marathons, and walking el Caminos, that I developed blisters. In the heavy rain, water got into the top of my boots and into the socks which trapped the water inside causing huge blisters on the back of my heels.
I haven't worn them again since!

Thanks for that post. I cannot conceptualize the how and why of waterproof socks, so hearing from someone who actually used them is very valuable. I may try the plastic shopping bag trick as a barrier between boots and socks, but I am wary that they will bunch up and cause friction points. GoLite sold barrier socks in the past if someone wants to try to find them. I think they were discontinued because they were unsatisfactory.

Moosejaw has a lot of GoLite products on sale:

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/s ... ectedView=

Hmmmmm. I must be missing something.

Waterproof boots/shoes that use a lining, such as goretex, have that lining around your foot, but it breathes a little as well, so you get both some waterproofing and some breathability.

Waterproof socks can't do the same thing? To be worn if anticipating a lot of rain, or if the boots/shoes do get wet, as in a puddle, and soak through, then change to a waterproof sock for a while so the wet boot/shoe doesn't soak your socks, causing the moisture that can cause blisters?

I'm inferring from your statements that waterproof socks aren't breathable? Or if they would keep moisture off your foot from soaked boots, they wouldn't wick or breathe, letting perspiration out (somewhat like Goretex can if sewn into your boot)?

I'm guessing I'm hearing that waterproof socks don't breathe?

Almha

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
almhath said:
Hmmmmm. I must be missing something.
I'm guessing I'm hearing that waterproof socks don't breathe?

According to the manufacturer: Waterproof, breathable and close fitting these socks are the perfect choice for a host of outdoor pursuits. Totally unique patented technology keeps your feet dry no matter what the weather is doing.

Personally I don't think that I'd want to try them.

I'm bumping this old thread.
I wonder if there's anyone else who has tried waterproof socks now?
I'm walking in my Teva sandals as usual and I'm considering buying some waterproof socks to wear in an emergency situation.
I already walked in snow barefoot in my sandals on camino de Madrid, but that was ok thanks to sunshine that day. I've also walked on vdlp in everlasting rain with wool socks in sandals and that was ok too.
Am now thinking if there would be days walking in cold rain and mud. What to wear?

Sealskins, but what happens when they get full of mud?
Goretex socks. They look nice but I must order them from abroad.
Neoprene socks. They are much cheaper.
Or, the low budget alternative: wool socks and a pair of these blue plastic shoe protectors.
Has anyone tried something like this with sandals?
Grateful for any advice.
(Yes I know boots exists :wink: )

Susannafromsweden said:
I'm bumping this old thread.
I wonder if there's anyone else who has tried waterproof socks now?
I'm walking in my Teva sandals as usual and I'm considering buying some waterproof socks to wear in an emergency situation.
I already walked in snow barefoot in my sandals on camino de Madrid, but that was ok thanks to sunshine that day. I've also walked on vdlp in everlasting rain with wool socks in sandals and that was ok too.
Am now thinking if there would be days walking in cold rain and mud. What to wear?

Sealskins, but what happens when they get full of mud?
Goretex socks. They look nice but I must order them from abroad.
Neoprene socks. They are much cheaper.
Or, the low budget alternative: wool socks and a pair of these blue plastic shoe protectors.
Has anyone tried something like this with sandals?
Grateful for any advice.
(Yes I know boots exists :wink: )

I used to wear tevas with neoprene while kayaking. Neoprene does not keep water out; they work by reducing exchange of heat by reducing the flow of water past your foot. They will keep your feet warm but they will not keep your feet dry. Further, debris (sand and gravel) gets between the sandal and the bottom of the foot (which is why I don't use them for kayaking anymore) and tend to wear a hole in the sock.

I still carry tevas on hikes. They are excellent for crossing creeks (without socks) and make a good camp shoe with socks thick enough to repel mosquitos.

I would not consider walking in tevas with gortex, neoprene, or sealskin socks.

What emergency are you considering? I walked camino last fall. Mud rarely was as thick as the sole of my boot. (cow poop was a greater issue)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I only use waterproof socks for short cycle rides - they always let the water in after a while.

I like to wear very light trail shoes (apart from winter). I carry extra socks to occasionally change into dry ones.

Good luck

Andy

whariwharangi said:
I used to wear tevas with neoprene while kayaking. Neoprene does not keep water out; they work by reducing exchange of heat by reducing the flow of water past your foot. They will keep your feet warm but they will not keep your feet dry. Further, debris (sand and gravel) gets between the sandal and the bottom of the foot (which is why I don't use them for kayaking anymore) and tend to wear a hole in the sock.

I still carry tevas on hikes. They are excellent for crossing creeks (without socks) and make a good camp shoe with socks thick enough to repel mosquitos.

I would not consider walking in tevas with gortex, neoprene, or sealskin socks.

What emergency are you considering? I walked camino last fall. Mud rarely was as thick as the sole of my boot. (cow poop was a greater issue)

Thanks for your reply (and thank you to Andy too)
I was thinking about a situation when I'm in the mountains (I'm starting with the Salvador route) and the weather gets bad quickly. The plan is to walk barefoot in my Tevas as usual as much as possible, but if the weather gets so cold the feet feels stiff it would be nice to put on a pair of socks.
I've been reading a few articles about people walking in mesh shoes with sealskins and that seems to be ok. But the socks don't last so long (and they are very expensive here).
I will see if I can find a cheap pair of waterproof socks on ebay or something. It's worth a try anyway.

I've had Sealskinz in the past to use on boats. Never liked them or the Sealskinz gloves for that matter. Yep they are waterproof for a time but water does get through eventually. However, I really don't like the texture of the fabric. It has a tendency to get quite hard/rough after it has been wet and dried out and ends up rubbing.

Personally I prefer Goretex boots and decent socks for wet conditions. Even if your boots do get wet then a good pair of walking socks can take a bit of water.

As said, neoprene socks are not waterproof. They aren't made to keep water out, they are meant to keep you warm by providing insulation (the rubber foam) and by cutting down how much water flushes through (the fit). You can make them waterproof by sealing the seams (as done on drysuit boots) but either way, you really don't want to wear neoprene all day. It would turn your skin to mush. I've done it on caving trips where wearing neoprene socks inside boots is common practice and 8 hours of being wet and not letting them breathe really makes your feet into a mess. And as anyone who has spent long days in wetsuits/neoprene knows it ends up stinking very quick and it is pretty hard to get rid of even by washing.

The other problem is your feet move around a lot in them. They don't fit anywhere near as good as a fabric type sock.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you Stuart! That's good to know.
Ok, I've decided to not buy any neoprene socks. It sounds like my feet are going to look like they've been in the bathtub too long.
I also didn't quite like the texture of the sealskins. And they cost almost 50 euro in Sweden. That's a lot of money if they're only going to last a few days.
So that leaves me with either Goretex socks or ordinary wool socks + plastic shoes protectors. Or both.
Buen camino,
And I'm looking forward to your report from the Salvador route.

I am glad you brought this up. I am doing my first hike in Sept. and will wear keen hiking sandals. I have a pair of gortex over socks that I plan on bringing just in case I get caught in a cold rain. Other wise I will just put dry socks on when it I can. I have hiked in boots and water proof shoes and have found that unless it is a really cold rain I do better just going on. The sandals dry quickly and then I can change socks and get on with it. Where otherwise I spent the rest of the day with wet feet.

I am glad you brought this up. I am doing my first hike in Sept. and will wear keen hiking sandals. I have a pair of gortex over socks that I plan on bringing just in case I get caught in a cold rain. Other wise I will just put dry socks on when it I can. I have hiked in boots and water proof shoes and have found that unless it is a really cold rain I do better just going on. The sandals dry quickly and then I can change socks and get on with it. Where otherwise I spent the rest of the day with wet feet.

Hi, good, then I won't be alone wearing socks and sandals.:)
Are you happy with the Goretex socks?
I'm thinking of buying a pair but don't know what brand.
I've also been looking at latex socks. Arena latex socks, for swimmers, cost only about 8 euro.
And a thin wool liner sock under that.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.