• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Waterproof socks

Nanc

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Sept 2016)
SDC/ Finesterre/ Muxia (2016)
several people have mentioned waterproof soxks as their solution to preventing wet feet in non waterproof shoes. I gave several questions:
How hot are they?
Wouldnt they generate
self defeting sweaty feet?
Do they conform well enough to the foot to prevent hot spots?
What brands have you liked and why?
Thanks always
Nanc

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Unless they have improved them I will say they don't work. I tried them in the past. My girlfriend and I wore wool socks(they come thick or thin). We wore smart wool brand. Never had any problems the whole 800+km we walked.

It probably will not rain enough in September to require waterproof socks. In hot weather they hold moisture in, and blisters can result. Even in wet weather, they can be a mixed blessing and should be worn only in continuous pouring rain. Good wool blend socks are the most satisfactory (worn over polypro liner socks is best), and cotton socks should be avoided unless you are going to change them continuously during the day. Buen camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have a pair if Sealskinz but only use them for (Canadian) winter golf! Mine are definitely not form fitting and if I walked in them I'm certain blisters would follow. I like gortex mid-high boots and if the weather is particularly foul I slip on a pair of gators. I wear smart wool socks which are thick enough to take some internal dampness and hold it until I swap them out later. As mentioned above, combining them with liners (I prefer merino wool liners though) will take care of any friction issues as well as keep you feet warm if they do get some water on them. Good luck and Buen Camino.

I don't see why you would need waterproof socks on the Camino?

Unless the terrain looks like this and you wear trail runners, you will not benefit from them.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 33
I use Sealskinz, which breathe surprisingly well and seem very waterproof. They consist of two layers with a membrane in between and have a slightly strange crunchy feel to them. Think the inner sock is merino so they are really warm and comfortable. I tend to use them in boots when working and camping out in wet fields for weeks on end, if everything gets damp, these stay dry inside. I've not used them for Camino type long distance walking though. I see sealskinz also do waterproof trekking socks- might be really helpful for a cold wet winter camino, though I'd probably stick to my tried and tested Bridgedale sock combo and use waterproof boots.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don't see why you would need waterproof socks on the Camino?

Unless the terrain looks like this and you wear trail runners, you will not benefit from them.

I wouldn't think about waterproof socks even with trail runners

The heat of your foot dries the inside of my trail runners very quicky and, indeed, also eases mud away as well relatively quickly- but I do walk with three or four pairs of thin socks so I can change them after getting too wet

I have a pair of Dexshell waterproof socks. I've worn them a few times both hiking and cycling, and they work well for me. In warmer weather I wouldn't bother, but if chill is a problem, then they're worthwhile. Mostly on the camino, in my experience, cold is not a problem.

I have not used waterproof socks, but have walked with people who have. The major issue has always been that they have not addressed stopping water getting in through the big hole at the top. To be effective, they have to be part of a protection regime that stops water running down one's legs, like rain pants, chaps or full length gaiters.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I use my sealskinz with sandals in heavy rain. They breath surprisingly well but I don't swear so much from my feet anyway. They are really not for long distance use as the membrane will wear down but they have helped me through some really rainy days here on Norte this summer I don't like wet feet so for me if works.

My wife and I walked in March 15 thru April 25 thru Snow (5 days) most of the rest of days were cloudy, rain, and hail. We only had 5 days of sunshine. We wore thin smart wool socks with a silk sock liner and our feed stayed warm even if the socks got wet. They also dried quickly.

I would highly recommend breathable non-waterproof shoes and socks. It barely rained on my Camino (May-July) but I had wet feet the whole time because of my waterproof boots. So many blisters as a result! And they took forever to dry out after the rare rainy days (smelly pilgrim shoes...)

I switched to breathable sneakers for the second half of my Camino and felt much better.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I used Sealskinz waterproof socks on the Camino Ingles in a December camino. They worked really well.
They weren't hot and they didn't generate sweaty feet. I wore a pair of light trainer socks inside (i.e. ending below the ankle), washed these daily and they dried quickly as small/light. Didn't need to wash the sealskinz for 5 days.

I'd say give them a try - worth while.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.