• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Waterproof trail shoes. Yes or no?

Time of past OR future Camino
August 26th 2023
Greetings from New Zealand.
I am starting the Camino Frances from St Jean-Pied-de-Port on the 26th of August.

I have done a fair amount of hiking here in New Zealand including about 870 kms of our Te Araroa trail. I have always worn waterproof trail shoes as they have been essential hiking through mud, streams etc.

So waterproof or not is my question?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I wear waterproof footwear, but there are many others here who don't, and many are fanatical!! There is no general consensus so far as I can tell (despite what some might suggest).

My own view is that waterproof footwear is just one part of any water and wind resistant clothing system, and unless you have all the elements in place, footwear, rain pants or gaiters, rain jacket, etc, any one part used along will not work to keep you dry.

As for hiking through mud and streams, I can only remember one stream that needed to be 'waded' across, and that was shortly before the top of Route Valcarlos approaching Roncesvalles. At the time, the depth wouldn't have threatened the welt of most shoes or boots.

There were some wet and muddy sections that emerge after rain.

That said, I haven't walked in autumn, and even in mid-spring, there were pilgrims walking in sandals.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am starting the Camino Frances from St Jean-Pied-de-Port on the 26th of August.

I have done a fair amount of hiking here in New Zealand including about 870 kms of our Te Araroa trail. I have always worn waterproof trail shoes as they have been essential hiking through mud, streams etc.

Buen Camino!

By all means, if you are used to waterproof ones you can also wear them on the Camino.

Winter and summer ( home and on a Camino) I wear my trusted leather Hanwag boots. I just experiment with types of socks depending on the season.
So wear what is comfortable for you.

And indeed there is no general consensus here about this topic.

Happy preparations!

My experience (based on years with USFWS and their waterproof boots) is that waterproof shoes will hold water IN as well as out and damp feet are more prone to blisters.
Any waterproof layer* prevents moisture from passing through the membrane - sweat is kept in as much as water is kept out. If one does sweat profusely to the point where it doesn't evaporate and form a vapour that the waterproof layer will transpire, then sweat will accumulate. It is just as important to consider having a wicking layer on ones feet as anywhere else, and have a liner sock that moves the sweat away from the skin to an outer sock and then the boot.

My experience, albeit from just the one time I did walk in non-waterproof footwear in early summer, was that my feet were soaked relatively quickly even in moderate rain. In contrast, I have walked most of the day in solid rain with waterproof footwear, rain pants and rain jacket, and kept dry for most of the day.

* edit - except if it is a genuinely impermeable layer, which doesn't have a membrane but is made of a rubberised fabric of some sort.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi!
My Non waterproof /breathable trail runners dried out after hours in pouring rain in about an hour.
The rain stopped i changed out my socks to a pair of fresh Darn Tough's after another hours walking they were dry!!
Waterproof shoes /boots hold water/sweat in and take ages to dry.
Walking in rain your feet will eventually get wet whatever you have on your feet.

Woody

I wear waterproof footwear, but there are many others here who don't, and many are fanatical!! There is no general consensus so far as I can tell (despite what some might suggest).

My own view is that waterproof footwear is just one part of any water and wind resistant clothing system, and unless you have all the elements in place, footwear, rain pants or gaiters, rain jacket, etc, any one part used along will not work to keep you dry.

As for hiking through mud and streams, I can only remember one stream that needed to be 'waded' across, and that was shortly before the top of Route Valcarlos approaching Roncesvalles. At the time, the depth wouldn't have threatened the welt of most shoes or boots.

There were some wet and muddy sections that emerge after rain.

That said, I haven't walked in autumn, and even in mid-spring, there were pilgrims walking in sandals.
Thanks for the tips. I am bringing Crocs for the streams.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That time of year you will not have a single river to ford, and mud will be minimal. Its still summer! It might rain, but this is still the dry season. Take a rain coat of course, but there is a decent chance you will not use it until Galicia right at the end.

That time of year you will not have a single river to ford, and mud will be minimal. Its still summer! It might rain, but this is still the dry season. Take a rain coat of course, but there is a decent chance you will not use it until Galicia right at the end.
Thanks Rick! Much appreciated.

Absolutely correct. I've walked in Spain and New Zealand and they are very, very different geographies. If you see any water in August in Spain, the chances are you'll be jumping up and down in it out of sheer joy and relief.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Buen Camino!
Not. Spain, where I also live a good proportion of the year, has a varied climate between the very dry & hotter south, to a more lush landscape in the north, BUT, July and August are the hottest months of the year all over Spain, and as someone has already said, you’re more likely to be praying for rain. Don’t worry in the slightest about wet feet, it just won’t be a thing at that time of year.

Buen Camino!
It is likely to be hot if not very hot, breathable shoes are desirable. This is a village to village walk on a decent path for 99% of the time - very different from hiking though our bush here.
For my first 2 Caminos I wore breathable running shoes, these days I wear sandals for the Camino.

Only during winter months in places where I might encounter snow. Otherwise non waterproof for me. Breath better and dry faster. Feet usually stay mostly dry with my double socks. If socks do get too wet I change them mid-day.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
How many times have you crossed the Pyrenees Rick? It can snow at anytime ... even in Summer!

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve seen too many Peregrinos on Camino
Frances last September limping because of
Blisters usually from wearing water proof shoes. I usually hike in water proof shoes in colder climates (Patagonia, Machu Picchu, etc). I wore trail runners especially for this trek and not one blister. Hint- I also used Injinji socks (mid weight) also known as toe socks. Combo made a difference. I suggest you test drive socks and shoes combos for best fit.

€83,-
If your feet sweat, then no waterproof. If your feet don't sweat then waterproof is fine. I used waterproof for a May/June CF in 2019 and did not have a problem. To be honest, they did not stay dry in a rainstorm crossing the Napolean to Roncessvalles. A little newspaper stuffing dried them out by the next morning.

I'd say if you've got a pair of boots/shoes you're already comfortable walking long distances in, then stick with those. For me, waterproofing is secondary to how comfortable they are, how tired my feet etc feel after walking for a day in them. I walked the Frances in waterproof Merrells last year and had a grand total of two blisters - one I didn't even notice until I took my sock off at the end of the day in Leon and saw it there on top of my toe, the other a few days later when the tape I had around the remnants of that one was a bit tight for the descent to Molinaseca...

Buen Camino!
Waterproof are fine for most of the Camino Frances, but when you get into Galicia, you may find as we always have that the rain comes at you in all directions. You cannot keep it out of your shoes. Vented shoes dry out quickly with some newspaper stuffed inside, which every albergue has on hand.

We've hiked here in the U.S. all over the country, and we used to tip toe on rocks across streams so as to avoid getting our feet wet. Once we saw how quickly vented shoes dry, we just walk through the stream. Cool the feet!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
How many times have you crossed the Pyrenees Rick? It can snow at anytime ... even in Summer!
I have crossed the Pyrenees four times, once in September. In April, there was snow on the ground at the top of the Napolean in each case. For the record, I walk Camino in standard running shoes. Many do it in sandals. Whatever keeps blisters away is the right choice for each of us, and should be the only concern a prospective pilgrim has for choosing footwear.

Buen Camino!
For me, waterproof shoes aren’t necessary on pretty much any of the Caminos in Spain. I might reconsider if I were walking in mid-winter when it could snow, but otherwise I stick with non-waterproof. Waterproof shoes are too hot for August imo. Feet need to breathe, this helps prevent blisters, and “waterproof” hiking footwear isn’t really waterproof. It will wet out and take forever to dry. The (very) few times I really didn’t want my feet and socks to get wet— walking in a major deluge for example— I put plastic bags over my socks inside my shoes for a temporary barrier. My feet were wet from perspiration but that was short-lived.
In August there most likely won’t be any stream crossings, maybe not even any mud to speak of, unlike during spring and (sometimes) fall rains. Some folks swear by their waterproof boots though, so to each his own.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Buen Camino!
No waterproof for me.

I got some Gortex trail runners last summer. They actually didn't keep my feet dry one time but my main complaint is they make my feet feel sweaty and because of that, I'm not going to wear on my next Camino next month. I'm afraid the sweat and walking for hours will cause blisters.

I wore regular salomon trail runners on the Norte and all except the first wet day out of Irun I didn't have any issues with them and no blisters. I think the cooler temps we encountered, helped. Had we been on the CF, the warmer temps might have had a different result.

There's are many threads on this topic including another new one today here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-or-lone-peak-all-weather.79434/#post-1118925

The general consensus is that waterproof is not desirable for the Camino except in very cold weather.
..and the counter-point is that shoes are a highly individual matter. For some, like myself, waterproofing is great - I don’t have to be concerned about my shoes drying out, my feet don’t get wet, and they breath enough for my feet to be comfortable - even in the intense heat waves. That said, others hate them.

The only practical advice is to try a pair before taking on the camino to see what works for you.

Any waterproof layer* prevents moisture from passing through the membrane - ….

* edit - except if it is a genuinely impermeable layer, which doesn't have a membrane but is made of a rubberised fabric of some sort.
Perhaps my shoes are of the latter sort. But they've been my only footwear for more than a year and haven't given me any trouble. I was very glad in the rain that my previous pair didn't leak. But the kilo or more of mud clinging to each shoe wasn't fun!

Not. based on my experience locally and in Europe.

My preferred shoe these past 9 years is an open weave upper: both flexible and hard wearing.

And very good at letting my feet and hose (sox/socks) breathe.

My favourite enjoyment is to walk along the beach from Paekakariki to Waikanae Estuary (15 km) and just slosh through the various streams that cross over into the sea. Of course the water pours in and just as easily pours out while the warmth of my feet usually have hose pretty much touch dry within a few hundred metres.

And these past 9 years I can count the total number of blisters on the fingers of my left hand and have 2 or 3 unused. There are other factors at play: the main factor is my feet cannot overheat.

It it rains my parka acts as something like a tent.

The number of rain days over a cumulative eight to nine months of walking is, thankfully very few. I would rather put up with a few days inconvenience when it does rain, that have the rest of my time hoping my precautions would work when it does rain. Which is why my parka is in my pack.

PS: The many long distance walks I have experienced in France, Spain, England and Scotland are nothing like the off road bits of Te Araroa. For a European comparison with Te Araroa, I suggest Bombay to Huntly, or Whanganui to east of Palmerston North

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Buen Camino!
Nowadays I always wear waterproof shoes. I have never had any problem with sweaty feet etc. Dry feet make me happy.

Not. based on my experience locally and in Europe.

My preferred shoe these past 9 years is an open weave upper: both flexible and hard wearing.

And very good at letting my feet and hose (sox/socks) breathe.

My favourite enjoyment is to walk along the beach from Paekakariki to Waikanae Estuary (15 km) and just slosh through the various streams that cross over into the sea. Of course the water pours in and just as easily pours out while the warmth of my feet usually have hose pretty much touch dry within a few hundred metres.

And these past 9 years I can count the total number of blisters on the fingers of my left hand and have 2 or 3 unused. There are other factors at play: the main factor is my feet cannot overheat.

It it rains my parka acts as something like a tent.

The number of rain days over a cumulative eight to nine months of walking is, thankfully very few. I would rather put up with a few days inconvenience when it does rain, that have the rest of my time hoping my precautions would work when it does rain. Which is why my parka is in my pack.

PS: The many long distance walks I have experienced in France, Spain, England and Scotland are nothing like the off road bits of Te Araroa. For a European comparison with Te Araroa, I suggest Bombay to Huntly, or Whanganui to east of Palmerston North
Thanks, Alwyn. I'm just up the road in Levin. Going to Wellington tomorrow for a walk from Island Bay to Oriental Parade? Are you keen?

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.