• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Waterproofing....I need your advice

gerardcarey

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CFx2, CPx1
I hate wet feet. Mine, when they get wet they fall apart.
Now that's a problem that's half solved by waterproof footwear.
The problem is that socks act like a wick and conduct the water inside.
So my options are to carry waterproof trousers or gaiters, but I don't want to carry either.
I'm a Altus wearer which gives protection to just under the knees, to the area where the lower section of my zip-off trousers begin.
My plan is to waterproof just the zip-off lower section of the trousers to protect my socks, leaving the upper section breathable and comfortable.
The fabric used in these lightweight trousers is usually nylon or some synthetic fabric.
I would appreciate recommendations on what waterproofing products to use.
TIA
Regds
Gerard

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Nikwax spray on waterproof works well, or the wash in variety which may last a few washes. I have used both in the past.

The wash in type can be more opaque and change the colour of the trousers so if using that I suggest washing the whole garment. A light iron completes the process and also can refresh it. You would need to check the instructions for your trousers and the waterproofer to make sure that they are compatible.

The spray type is also easy to use - we sprayed the lining of our reversible fleeces to make them shower proof as they are non-iron. It worked well and they turn light rain. It also claims to be breathable.

Our own trousers are shower proof anyway but I still prefer to carry fairly lightweight waterproof and breathable trousers for when it is really raining, or cold. They are long enough to come down ove the lacing on my boots so keep the water out well. However if you really don't want to carry them then I think proofing at least the trouser bottoms would help. Just check that the rain will not run off them and into your boots.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It's very hard to keep your feet dry in the variety of conditions you experience on the Camino: rain, sweat, streams and puddles. I've found that using a good pair of socks (wool/synthetic blend) and coating my feet with Vaseline has worked the best to keep my feet dry and blister free. I hope this helps. Good Luck and Buen Camino!

Maybe you're ready to try this:

Wish you happy feet ;)

Maybe you're ready to try this:

Wish you happy feet ;)

Awesome. you´ve just found the solution for us all KinkyOne. All we need to do is have a bath in it and no more problems with rain.:rolleyes:

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sealskinz are a company that makes socks and gloves, they are totally waterproof and very cosy, I use both - often (I do live in England...)

Which sealskibz do you use? I find the water gets in after a bit

Andy

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back