• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Waterproofing Shoulder Straps with Wax

ricitosdeplata

Time of past OR future Camino
09/2015: Via de la Plata
My Osprey Kestral 38 has a rain cover to keep it dry, but my shoulder straps might get wet since I'm going to be wearing a rain jacket and my umbrella may not be enough to protect them. Then there's the matter of sweat being absorbed daily. Any advice about waterproofing the shoulder straps of a backpack with wax. I'm thinking that the foam in the straps would be stiffened by a waterproofing liquid.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My Osprey Kestral 38 has a rain cover to keep it dry, but my shoulder straps might get wet since I'm going to be wearing a rain jacket and my umbrella may not be enough to protect them. Then there's the matter of sweat being absorbed daily. Any advice about waterproofing the shoulder straps of a backpack with wax. I'm thinking that the foam in the straps would be stiffened by a waterproofing liquid.

Scotch-guard them.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My goodness, I've never had a problem with wet shoulder straps.
I feel like you're overthinking this a bit?
I never considered this until I read a post on this forum about the experience of another pilgrim. She said she went through a lot of rain and wound up with shoulder straps that stunk terribly. I figured october might be wet so better to take precautions while I can.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wax will seal in the "funk," scotch guard maybe, or you can let Mother Nature air dry it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've hiked in all weather for over 30 years ... wet shoulder straps are not an issue. Putting wax on them would likely cause more problems than it would solve.

If the shoulder straps stink try using a deodorant. On your pits that is. You can wash your pack in a tub of warm water and woolite when it does get too smelly.

Ricitosdeplata: a fellow Texan here. I have been reading your posts and enjoying them. You sound very prepared for your camino so agree with others...don't sweat the small stuff (there will be smellier stuff than your pack straps:(). One good thing about my past caminos is that I didn't know I was going until shortly before (calendar opens up) so rarely have had more than a few weeks to prepare. Used this forum to put together a packing list spreadsheet (10 years old now) that gets slightly altered each time based on season and my last experience. It all just works out. I am excited to hear how your camino goes!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My shoulder straps are not so thick that I am worried about them getting wet. I think they would dry quite quickly.

However, since I have the impression that you are (like me :D) handy with a sewing machine as well as being an equipment nerd, you might be interested in the famous "super-duper Maggie shoulder cape" created by @Magwood. (Scroll down that linked page quite far.) She has lots of other good tips on her blog.

I have a pack with waterproof shoulder straps. They are sweaty and awful. I would much prefer that they breathe.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.