• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Waterproofing?

MegH

Time of past OR future Camino
September/October 2016
Hi
I am starting from SJPDP on 15th September. I have vulnerable feet(historical metatarsalgia) and need new shoes. I have tried on lots but feel most comfortable in some trail walking shoes which are not waterproof. So many walking shoes feel like walking in wooden boards, as my foot cannot roll in them! Is it mad to go in non waterproof shoes? I could do a spray on waterproofing. Advice welcome.
Also I am debating between my waterproof jacket and trousers and rucksack cover or poncho and gaiters. Any advice? Especially about what sort of light ponchos.
Many thanks
Meg

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Meg

regarding the footwear you have to go with what is comfortable for you, the most important prt of the body to look after on the camino is your feet.
I did my CF last year at the same time and only had 4 days of rain out of 42, you may be lucky and get none, or you might get a lot.
If the trail walking shoes are the most comfortable for you then this is what you should go with, I'm not sure how effective water proof stay is, but anything is worth a try.

As for the rain jacket and pants versus poncho, there have been some long debates on the forum of which is the best, again it is personal preference, you might want to do a search for the posts.

Buen Camino

Hi
I am starting from SJPDP on 15th September. I have vulnerable feet(historical metatarsalgia) and need new shoes. I have tried on lots but feel most comfortable in some trail walking shoes which are not waterproof. So many walking shoes feel like walking in wooden boards, as my foot cannot roll in them! Is it mad to go in non waterproof shoes? I could do a spray on waterproofing. Advice welcome.
Also I am debating between my waterproof jacket and trousers and rucksack cover or poncho and gaiters. Any advice? Especially about what sort of light ponchos.
Many thanks
Meg
My walking shoes are not waterproof so I took a pair of Sealskinz waterproof socks for the damp days, and made sure my waterproof trousers covered the sock tops. Worked well. Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Is it mad to go in non waterproof shoes?
Of course it's not mad! Many people do it. Just search "waterproof" or "wet feet" on this forum to read the discussions. Or any thread on boots or shoes. :D Wear what is most comfortable for you on a 20-km walk.

Neither is there a consensus on whether to use poncho or rain jacket/pants, but there are many threads!

It is almost a given that you will have rain in October in Galice, as you are approaching Compostela. It may go from a light, occasional drizzle to a persistent and annoying rain (mostly, after noon). You never know, but Galice is so green for a reason...

Hi
Many thanks
Meg
My suggestion is to go for the shoes that feel really comfortable. There's a good chance there won't be a lot of rain at that time of the year, but, of course, no guarantee. If you do get very wet feet it's worth paying them extra attention to avoid blisters.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have walked for years in lightweight trail shoes with mesh uppers and the benefits out way the occasional wet feet. If you wear merino socks you feet will stay warm when wet. Having walking and camped in the UK there are plenty of upland moors and peat bogs where having wet shoes and socks for a week or more is not unusual. If I'am camping then putting on wet socks and shoes in the morning is just one of those things you have to do. If you think putting on wet footwear is bad news then try wearing trail shoes and socks that have frozen solid over night. If you keep up with your foot care then you should not have any problems.

It is almost a given that you will have rain in October in Galice, as you are approaching Compostela. It may go from a light, occasional drizzle to a persistent and annoying rain (mostly, after noon). You never know, but Galice is so green for a reason...
@Felipe
I walked the Frances in October-November last year and had no rain in Galicia, except for a few showers in Compostela after I arrived. However, I did have about two weeks of persistent rain earlier in my walk.

@Felipe
I walked the Frances in October-November last year and had no rain in Galicia, except for a few showers in Compostela after I arrived. However, I did have about two weeks of persistent rain earlier in my walk.
First week of October, 2015: Persistent rain after noon in Vega de Valcarce, rain and strong winds in the way to O Cebreiro, impossible weather, almost no visibility next day (we had to take the bus to Triacastela). Then, intermitent, light rains, early mornings and the afternoons in the following stages in Galice.
With weather, you never know, really. I suppose that, as it is a public, free service, I can't complain.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As stated this Forum is a great resource.
Shoes that dry, shoes that repel, waterproof? Comfort, good socks and constant care will carry the day. "It Rains in Spain"
When fitting the shoes give yourself a little toe room at least 1/2 size bigger and fit with the thickest socks you plan on wearing. Also start training with pack weight as this makes feet tire too.
Do not be shy, ship your bag if your feet hurt, it can save the journey and you will find other ways to feel stress.......... Ultreya......... Willy/Utah/USA

There is consensus on this thread that you should expect rain. However, we haven't given much advice with respect to waterproofing!

@MegH - There are two arguments:
  1. Wear waterproof because they will keep your feet dry in many conditions. (But in a day of moderate to heavy rain, they will likely still get wet.) However, those shoes may take longer to dry, especially in an unheated albergue.
  2. Wear non-waterproof because they will dry quickly. However, those shoes may get wet very easily, for example in wet grass.
Either way, you will probably sometimes have wet feet. So... What to do?

No shoe choice will be perfect for all conditions. The distances and varied terrain are guaranteed, whereas the rain conditions are not!

Conclusion: Wear the shoes/boots that are most comfortable for you on 20 km walks with varied terrain that includes hard surfaces.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As stated this Forum is a great resource.
Shoes that dry, shoes that repel, waterproof? Comfort, good socks and constant care will carry the day. "It Rains in Spain"
When fitting the shoes give yourself a little toe room at least 1/2 size bigger and fit with the thickest socks you plan on wearing. Also start training with pack weight as this makes feet tire too.
Do not be shy, ship your bag if your feet hurt, it can save the journey and you will find other ways to feel stress.......... Ultreya......... Willy/Utah/USA

Thanks for your reply. It is easy to feel it is lazy or wrong to get pack carried for you! M

Adidas makes a gortex shoe, so does salomon.
Just found some really comfortable Saloman Escambia gortex shoes. I am feeling more confident. Thank you everyone for the encouragement. I realise I am feeling really quite anxious!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There is consensus on this thread that you should expect rain. However, we haven't given much advice with respect to waterproofing!

1. Wear waterproof because they will keep your feet dry in many conditions. (But in a day of moderate to heavy rain, they will likely still get wet.) However, those shoes may take longer to dry, especially in an unheated albergue.
  2. Wear non-waterproof because they will dry quickly. However, those shoes may get wet very easily, for example in wet grass.

No shoe choice will be perfect for all conditions. The distances and varied terrain are guaranteed, whereas the rain conditions are not!

Conclusion: Wear the shoes/boots that are most comfortable for you on 20 km walks with varied terrain that includes hard surfaces.
Thank you

Good down to earth advice. Thank you. Meg

Meg

regarding the footwear you have to go with what is comfortable for you, the most important prt of the body to look after on the camino is your feet.
I did my CF last year at the same time and only had 4 days of rain out of 42, you may be lucky and get none, or you might get a lot.
If the trail walking shoes are the most comfortable for you then this is what you should go with, I'm not sure how effective water proof stay is, but anything is worth a try.

As for the rain jacket and pants versus poncho, there have been some long debates on the forum of which is the best, again it is personal preference, you might want to do a search for the posts.

Buen Camino
Thank you. Meg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My walking shoes are not waterproof so I took a pair of Sealskinz waterproof socks for the damp days, and made sure my waterproof trousers covered the sock tops. Worked well. Buen Camino.
Thank you. These socks sound interesting. M

I am training by getting generally fit not just walking. Amazing how my body feels freer. It is so easy to become rather disembodied. I guess this may be partly why so many are drawn to the Camino.

I to will be wearing a non Gortex pair of hiking boots which have been as comfortable as I had hoped so not looking to change but will endeavour to make sure they are as waterproofed as possible. In view of this was considering getting a pair of Sealskinz sox as a back up in the event the weather is regularly very wet. Does this makes sense?

Hi
Many thanks
Meg
All equipment is a personal thing. I personally found fairies unnecessary and prefer a jacket to poncho.
Wear theboot/shoes which are most comfortable for you. if they are not waterproof have a dry pair of shoes/ sandals you can put on at the end of the days walking and cadge some newspaper off someone and stuff them in your shoes, not too tight, by morning a lot of the moisture will be.gone. Buen Camino

@Pam Scott
I am intrigued by this post. For what, exactly, did you find fairies unnecessary? Did you meet then on the camino and send them away with this indifferent response?
@Pam Scott
I am intrigued by this post. For what, exactly, did you find fairies unnecessary? Did you meet then on the camino and send them away with this indifferent response?
Sorry it's ment to say gaiters!! Sadly I didn't see any fairies and certainly wouldn't have sent them off with an indifferent response!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Definitely go with breathable shoes over waterproofed ones. Especially if you have finicky or sweaty feet. I used waterproof boots for the first half of my Camino and had terrible blisters as a result! And they never dried out after rainy days, so were smelly all the time. I bought breathable ones for the last month and was much happier.

For the other ones: I say waterproof jacket and trousers and rucksack cover. Plastic ponchos flap around in the wind and are unwieldy. Gaiters are an extra weight.

Hi
Many thanks
Meg

I hiked the Camino in two parts, first part was with waterproof boots by Keen. The next spring I switched to water resistant trail runners by Oboz because the Keen boots gave me blisters, and my feet were often damp with sweat because waterproof means they don't breathe. The Oboz trail runners were a real success - they got wet often but dried quick. I carried keen walking sandals just in case I needed them. The first part we did we had extreme heat, thus waterproof was too much. This last April, we had lots of rain and mucky muddy trails. I just stepped carefully. My one regret was that I didn't bring quality rain gear. I had good rain pants but my jacket didn't cut it. I didn't use gators but wore rain pants over leggings. I had a pack over and also used plastic bags inside my pack to keep my gear dry.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.