A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

See the full Camino Forum Store here with many more camino products.

COVID Wave of pilgrims when lock down is over?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antonius Vaessen

Camino(s) past & future
2015-2016 VdlPlata - Sanabres
2016.Primitivo
2017 Salvador
2018 Norte (to Sobrado)
2019 Norte again
Like many others I had caminoplans in the near future (may from Le Puy en Velay to Irun) I am retired, am for a great deal "master of my own time" so I can start my camino real soon after lock down is over. I don't like crowds, races for beds and so on though. Now I don't know what to expect, will many people who could not go take up their plans as soon as possible? I know that no one can see in the future that is why I want to ask a specific question:
Did you have to cancel a camino, if so do you still want to go and plan to go in the near future or postpone it.
Answers could give me some insight in what I may expect. Next year is holy year, that would lead to much more pilgrims on their way. (I don't know if that will also be the case on the Le Puy route, as this is also walked by walkers who don't walk in the direction of Santiago)
Thanks for all answers

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
I had to cancel this April. I am retired. I am ready to go as soon it's possible. CF.

wayfarer

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
SJPP-Santiago-Finistera-Muxia. April/May 2012
Sarria-Santiago Sept. 2013
SJPP - Almost Orrison April 2014
Like many others I had caminoplans in the near future (may from Le Puy en Velay to Irun) I am retired, am for a great deal "master of my own time" so I can start my camino real soon after lock down is over. I don't like crowds, races for beds and so on though. Now I don't know what to expect, will many people who could not go take up their plans as soon as possible? I know that no one can see in the future that is why I want to ask a specific question:
Did you have to cancel a camino, if so do you still want to go and plan to go in the near future or postpone it.
Answers could give me some insight in what I may expect. Next year is holy year, that would lead to much more pilgrims on their way. (I don't know if that will also be the case on the Le Puy route, as this is also walked by walkers who don't walk in the direction of Santiago)
Thanks for all answers
I think the Camino may be quiet for some time until people are fully sure that everything is ok.

Bradypus

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
I was due to travel to Spain on the weekend that the lockdown was announced and cancelled my plans just two days before the announcement. I much prefer the less-travelled routes these days and was intending to walk the Camino Zamorano Portugues. Once travel is practical again I hope to do that as soon as possible. But serious illness in my family may put a spanner in the works even then. No option at the moment but to sit and watch how things develop.

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Inglés 2009+2017, Francés 2012+2018, Astorga-Santiago repeatedly
I have also got flexible work and will probably go back as soon as it is safe and legal to do so. Was planning for the meseta, possibly walking to Fisterra if I have time, and will stick to the CF for the infrastructure and to spend my money on my favourite places and people. Would wait until I know the state of this infrastructure though - the sad truth is that some (many?) places will probably not survive the economic hit if it lasts too long. But I suppose the municipals would be open?

Camino(s) past & future
Us:Camino Frances, 2015 Me:Catalan/Aragonese, 2019
But I suppose the municipals would be open?
I would suppose this. I thinking that means you may be better off on the lesser traveled caminos that have municipals than the CF. The CF municipals may be full if the private albergues have had to close up shop. I'm assuming here that the CF will likely be the camino that will attract the post-covid crowds.

bjorgts

Camino(s) past & future
Caminos in Spain, France, Portugal, Germany since 2003. Last: Malaga - Cordoba November 2019
This is interesting! JanskeMarie says September, but maybe not until next year. I think next year. What is "when it's safe"? What is the time perspective of you who are writing here now? Do you think you will walk in 2020? Spring? Summer? Autumn? Are you willing to travel as soon as the travel restrictions are lifted? The virus will be suppressed at one time or another, but it probably won't go away. Therefore, it is interesting to read the answers here.

Are you willing to walk a Camino before we get a vaccine? I am a pensioner as many of you are. Most of us then are part of the risk group - just by our age. I was supposed to start my Camino del Ebro in a week now, but now I imagine there may not be a new Camino in a year. The best I can hope for is late fall this year, but I don't think it will be. I will not dare to go for a Camino as soon as the travel restrictions are lifted.

kelleymac

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
March/April 2015, Late April 2016, Sept/Oct 2017, April 2019.
I am wondering about possible changes in health code laws that may change the camino. How many beds/room, etc? I remember being coughed on in one albergue in the middle of the night-- I could feel the droplets hit my face. The peregrino next to me was seriously ill. He should have been in a separate room-- but my guess is that he didn't have enough money, and/or was more ill than he realized. (I am often in self-denial when ill.) The people running the albergue told me that they rely on individuals to determine if they are ill enough to self-quarantine. So.. maybe that will change.

Even when the Camino opens, I will probably wait until I have immunity-- either through an inoculation or getting the covid-19 virus.

Last edited:

rabtacoma

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Leon to Santiago October 2019
We are scheduled for SJPDP - Burgos (did first half in 2019) mid September . We have some risk factors and need to travel from Seattle, USA. I’m beginning to wrap my head around that this is not going to happen. I’d like to go in 2021 but don’t enjoy crowds. I’ve heard that most of the Holy Year crowds will be the 2nd half so it may still work for us.

easygoing

Camino Sharon
Camino(s) past & future
I have walked the Camino Francis 7 times, twice in 2017 and 2018. (2019)
This is a difficult question. I still have plane tickets in May and I'm waiting for the airlines to cancel the flight because I've heard I have more options that way. But they only give you 6 months to reschedule although I'm hoping for a year. Two flights round trip from Seattle were expensive and I would just hate to lose the money. But of course I don't want to put myself or other people at risk. I'm from near Seattle which is one of the epicenters of the virus. So my risk of catching the virus is probably similar in both counties.
But on the other hand financially Spain needs the tourist industry so what to do? ( My friends in Pamplona and Leon are looking forward to my return)

marylynn

Camino(s) past & future
2011-2019 CF, Arles/Aragones
2015 & 2017 HærvejenDK
I had planned to meet up with my 2017 Camino friends and walk part of the CF with them in June, then go to Denmark to walk our unwalked part of the Haervejen with my 2011 Camino (Danish) friend in July. All that is cancelled. I think the Caminos in 2021 and 2022 will be insanely overcrowded, so last November may have been my last Camino. ?????

Mada

Camino(s) past & future
We would have walked Leon to Santiago in May this year, but we are not retired and our time limited to school holidays in South Africa. Because of the lockdown and restrictions here, most school holidays will probably be shortened and/or cancelled, so we have to postpone to 2021.

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Inglés 2009+2017, Francés 2012+2018, Astorga-Santiago repeatedly
Are you willing to walk a Camino before we get a vaccine?
Good questions, and for me that answer would probably be no, unless there are proven and effective medicines. I haven't been self-isolating this long just to go and end up a burden on a different country's health system ... but I also don't expect travel restrictions to be lifted to that extent until vaccine or meds have been found. When it is safe and legal again though, whenever that may be, I am ready.

Anik2001

Camino(s) past & future
Past: Camino Frances (2017), future: Frances again (2020)
I was hoping to walk the Francés in July, but if my flights are cancelled (which will probably happen), then I will have to postpone until 2021 or 2022, since I can only walk in the summer.

bjorgts

Camino(s) past & future
Caminos in Spain, France, Portugal, Germany since 2003. Last: Malaga - Cordoba November 2019
I had planned to meet up with my 2017 Camino friends and walk part of the CF with them in June, then go to Denmark to walk our unwalked part of the Haervejen with my 2011 Camino (Danish) friend in July. All that is cancelled. I think the Caminos in 2021 and 2022 will be insanely overcrowded, so last November may have been my last Camino. ?????
Perhaps it is important now that we remember this: Very many Caminos in Spain have never been overcrowded. There is plenty of space! Most of these Caminos won't be overcrowded for many years either - I guess. I haven't been to a Camino with a lot of people for the last ten years. For those of us who know that we do not have so many years left to walk the Caminos, it is perhaps hopeful to remember that it is always possible to find a Camino with solitude - even in 2021. :)

Guy Strachan

Alba Guido
Camino(s) past & future
Frances ('13/'14), Portugues ('15), Finisterre ('16/'19); Ingles ('17); Sanabres ('18); Invierno '20
Thanks for all answers
This thing isn’t likely to go away quickly and when it really gets going in India, Africa, South America and Central America etc “you ain’t seen nothing yet”...
I was due to walk the Invierno in early May with my wife & father but cancelled last month and putting it back by a year (exactly!) when hopefully some normality will have returned to our lives and the World in general.
We all just need to be sensible - and patient.
Don’t worry the Camino will always be there.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
I think the Camino may be quiet for some time until people are fully sure that everything is ok.
Do you think you will walk in 2020? Spring? Summer? Autumn? Are you willing to travel as soon as the travel restrictions are lifted? The virus will be suppressed at one time or another, but it probably won't go away.
I hope the Camino is quiet for some time until people are fully sure that everything is ok.

I have to admit astonishment at some of the responses. Seriously?

This thing is not just going to quietly go away in a few months, tracing a tidy parabolic curve as it goes down to zero. There will be waves, perhaps several. So I hate to say it, but it seems more realistic to give it up for this year - and maybe even next year.

There is also the consideration that everything won't just snap back to the way it all was. There are too many aspects life this will affect.

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
Hopefully you have not had the last of your camino/travels, Marylynn.
That's my hope after having to cancel my April 19th departure for the Norte. I will wait until the "coast is clear" and then wait some more, but I desire to keep on walking.

Last edited:

Barbara

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Norte (twice)and Primitivo, Sureste, In France From home Tours and Vézelay, also Le Puy.
I will be cycling down my drive with a tent the day the lockdown is lifted. Central France, so not ever busy. Well, have you heard of the Eastern variant of the Tours route? Via Angouleme.

murraydv

Via de la Plata / Sanabres / Camino de Levante
Camino(s) past & future
Completed Via de la Plata (2018).
Started Camino de Levante (2019).
I was due to travel to Spain on the weekend that the lockdown was announced and cancelled my plans just two days before the announcement. I much prefer the less-travelled routes these days and was intending to walk the Camino Zamorano Portugues. Once travel is practical again I hope to do that as soon as possible. But serious illness in my family may put a spanner in the works even then. No option at the moment but to sit and watch how things develop.
Realistically, I don’t think that any of us will see the Camino in 2020, Unfortunately

Theatregal

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
So far...
2012 ~ 2019
For me...only after there's a vaccine, after the lockdown is lifted and most importantly after there is clarity from Spain (or any country) that guests are welcome in their country as an asset and not a burden on their people and infrastructure. This will not suddenly be "business as usual". Beyond infrastructure being ready for visitors, we will be a world in grief. This crisis is still developing and escalating.

Dani7

Stop wishing, start doing.
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances
When the time is right
I am definitely doing the CF, was supposed to start my walk from SJPdP this Palm Sunday. Too early to tell how this virus may change our world in the future but I will walk it one day. The call to me has never wavered. The earliest I’m thinking is 2022.

Isca-camigo

Camino(s) past & future
Various ones.
I doubt the Camino will reopen in 2020. This lockdown isn’t going to resolve until there is a treatment or vaccine.
This. + possibly proof of antibodys, which would allow you to access places and other countries.
I still have in mind a Xmas Camino but it seems likely that the Northern Hemisphere will be going through a 2nd wave of this at that time, so I have a feeling it will be summer 2021, I always intended to walk from my home via the Plymouth- Santander ferry to arrive on the 22/23 July for the Holy day, this is my most likeliest scenario.

Antonius Vaessen

Camino(s) past & future
2016.Primitivo
2017 Salvador
2018 Norte (to Sobrado)
2019 Norte again
For me...only after there's a vaccine, after the lockdown is lifted and most importantly after there is clarity from Spain (or any country) that guests are welcome in their country as an asset and not a burden on their people and infrastructure. This will not suddenly be "business as usual". Beyond infrastructure being ready for visitors, we will be a world in grief. This crisis is still developing and escalating.
Of course it goes without saying we'll all have to wait till Spain and France allow and welcome us. If there is a vaccin is not so important for me, at least not for my own safety. It might be a decisive factor though for the receiving countries in deciding if they will open their borders

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
If there is a vaccin is not so important for me, at least not for my own safety.
But it's not about your safety. It's about the safety of others and not spreading the virus! It's international travel that has made this virus so "successful" at infecting so many across the globe.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances Roncesvalles to Sahagun Oct 2016
Sahagun to SDC April 2017 Burgos to SDC April 2018
Ah! A worry for some of us Marylynn. I had planned on a portion of the Frances in the Fall but don't see that as being a viable option this year. I fear that 2021 will be wall to wall people which is not something I want to be part of. The problem is that I will be pushing 80 in 2022 and who knows what that may bring. Like you I fear that I have been to the Camino for the last time. I think all we can do is keep walking and be ready when the opportunity presents itself.

Maybe we can meet again at the Port Hope service center on the 401 and sip coffee through straws, past our masks and from a 2 meter distance. :) Hope you are well

Antonius Vaessen

Camino(s) past & future
2016.Primitivo
2017 Salvador
2018 Norte (to Sobrado)
2019 Norte again
But it's not about your safety. It's about the safety of others and not spreading the virus! It's international travel that has made this virus so "successful" at infecting so many across the globe.
I agree but I follow the decisions of the government who will have to judge the situation. At some moment life will have to become normal again.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)

Barbara

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Norte (twice)and Primitivo, Sureste, In France From home Tours and Vézelay, also Le Puy.
Nope, don't think there are any borders between Poitiers and Pau.. Not all Caminos start in Spain, and I only have a couple of weeks to spare at a time.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
You could google "Pilgrimage during the Black Death" to get some perspective on this.
Googled it and came up with this article titled The medieval pilgrimage routes, key to the spread of the Black Death

Definitely food for thought.

C clearly

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016), VDLP (2017), Mozarabe (2018), Vasco/Bayona (2019)

Molly Cassidy

Travelling light
Camino(s) past & future
Planning to start the Camino Frances from St Jean at the end of May (2020).
Thanks for all answers
I had planned to start from St Jean Pied de Port on 27th May. I haven't actually cancelled anything. I had an email from one of the places I've booked to stay today. They said they have changed their cancellation policy so I can leave it until the last minute to decide and not lose any money.
Will I go as soon as possible? It depends on a few factors. If the theatres in the UK reopen I will have to finish the contract I was working on before they closed. But I'm definitely looking to go this year if I can.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
It's fine to delete it. No problemo. ❤
And this info is not necessarily irrelevant here. We're facing a complicated unfolding process - and when I read that article it empasized for me that it's a situation that is neither simple nor quick to end.
(And the Nextstrain site was super-interesting.)
Thanks, Dani!

Dani7

Stop wishing, start doing.
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances
When the time is right
It's fine to delete it. No problemo. ❤
And this info is not necessarily irrelevant here. We're facing a complicated unfolding process - and when I read that article it empasized for me that it's a situation that is neither simple nor quick to end.
(And the Nextstrain site was super-interesting.)
Thanks, Dani!
We think alike ❤

The Kolbist

Camino(s) past & future
past: Frances, inland Portuguese, Fatima
future: Del Norte, coastal Porugues, Englis
This is a difficult question. I still have plane tickets in May and I'm waiting for the airlines to cancel the flight because I've heard I have more options that way. But they only give you 6 months to reschedule although I'm hoping for a year. Two flights round trip from Seattle were expensive and I would just hate to lose the money. But of course I don't want to put myself or other people at risk. I'm from near Seattle which is one of the epicenters of the virus. So my risk of catching the virus is probably similar in both counties.
But on the other hand financially Spain needs the tourist industry so what to do? ( My friends in Pamplona and Leon are looking forward to my return)
Ditto. we got tickets for late May Camino del Norte but we'll wait until it's clear to do it but we're still hoping and praying that we can do it this year. Reason is we believe that in times like this all the more that we need to do a pilgrimage. Of course, we wont do it when it's still burning and no vaccine is available yet. We also believe that doing the Camino and help spread that the Camino routes are open would also help Spain and the people in the camino, in one way or another as theyre getting hit economically.

Barbara

Camino(s) past & future
Of course, the Black Death did kill a significantly larger number of those who caught it..... Around half, all age groups.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2014) Portugues (2015) ingles(2016) Frances (2017)
Thanks for all answers
This year I had planned three Caminos- Le Puy (March) cancelled. The Camino Ingles (end of July) not yet cancelled but I’m expecting to have to cancel it, and from Seville to Santiago in October- I’m really hoping that will be possible. I’ll do anything I’ve had to cancel this year, next year, if at all possible. Buen Camino! Whenever you go...

Barbara

Camino(s) past & future
Dennis, I did clarify in a later post. I'll be going from Poitiers to Pau But yes, Schengen will still be relevant, and I doubt if any virus will notice a border.

gittiharre

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF Austria Czech Le Puy Geneva RLS V. Jacobi V. Regia V. Baltica/Scandinavica Porto Muxia
Thanks for all answers
There won't be caminos next year. I expect the paths and albergues won't reopen until well after vaccinations have commenced.
Many owners of albergues and hotels, restaurants, cafes etc will not have been able to hold on to their businesses and will be closed. I imagine places will gradually reopen, but it will be a very different experience for a while. Many people may not have money available for travel. Airlines will have gone out of business and the skies will be dominated by companies that were bailed out by governments. Who knows, what will happen to prices of air tickets.
The one good thing is, that perhaps the bedbug population has been starved of survival...

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Past: (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018)-Frances, Baztan, San Salvador, Primitivo, Fisterra,VdlP, Madrid
Another factor to consider that I have not noticed mentioned is that people on the whole will likely have less disposable income. The approaching recession will take its own toll.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino June 2018 from Leon to SdC. Plan Porto central 2021, Le Puy-SJPdP 2022, SJPdP- SdC 2023
Dennis, I did clarify in a later post. I'll be going from Poitiers to Pau But yes, Schengen will still be relevant, and I doubt if any virus will notice a border.
Certainly have no difference with you re borderless virus or travelling internally in France. Other aspects of travelling around maybe open to question.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Via de la Plata, Seville to Santiago 2016; Camino Frances May 2020 - postponed by COVID
Now I don't know what to expect, will many people who could not go take up their plans as soon as possible? I know that no one can see in the future that is why I want to ask a specific question:

For me (I was due to travel to SJPDP on 28 April 2020, now cancelled), I will walk as soon as it is safe and sensible to do so. My work can be relatively flexible, so I am fortunate in this respect. What is safe? That's a subjective assessment that each of us will have to make for themselves... Its difficult to know how long my own country (New Zealand) will keep its borders closed - I think that that is likely to be the rate-limiting step in decisions to travel abroad for those of us in this part of the world. Spain and France will, it seems, continue to struggle with this malady and its consequences for some time, however for me, I am comfortable with relying on the advice of the Spanish and French authorities with regard to when it is appropriate to be on pilgrimage in their respective countries. If a vaccine becomes available I will certainly avail myself of it when I can, unless I develop immunity via infection first, but I dont imagine that that will have a significant impact on the timing of the Camino being open for pilgrims again.

In my decision making on when to go, the most important factor will be to not make the situation worse than it already is, by potentially inadvertently spreading the virus around - something lots of others have also mentioned. Once I'm comfortable that that is not a likely scenario, I'll go. On the other hand, staying home because "its not safe" is per se, in my view, a nonsense.... life "is not safe"... what is that old saying? - The only things that you can count on in life are death and taxes?

In any case - my more direct answer to the question posed by the OP: if I can go in October this year, I'll go with the idea to walk the Camino Frances from SJPDP or Roncesvalles. I can't foresee that it will be a realistic option for me prior to that, given the current situation both at home and globally. If it doesn't look like that's possible, I'd likely go in February, if this were viable.

In truth, we can speculate as much as we like - only time will tell... but whist so many things remain up in the air, we in this community are fantastically lucky to have a thing as lovely as the Camino to speculate and fantasize about!

Take care of yourselves, and buen camino!

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015); Aragones-Frances (2016); VdlP-Sanabres (2017); Madrid-Frances-Invierno (2019)Levante
I had been planning for caminos every year for the foreseeable future (which is not very long, when you are in your seventies). Now, I will not go until there is a vaccine. I expect to go in 2021 and will hang on to my plan to walk the Camino de Levante next. As I plan to be in Dublin in September of 2021 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of my graduation at UCD, it will be a challenge to find the time afterwards to walk the 1,400 km Levante. I am a slow walker these days. But, by the time that I am approaching Santiago on the Sanabres, I anticipate that the Holy Year crowd will have thinned out. I shall find a way to complete my travels in the Schengen zone within the three month limit. I am not too worried about financial constraints, because I think that I shall be able to budget for one long camino after a year without one. But any camino plans must be realistically delayed until the pandemic is over and the situation following has clarified.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2019)
I want to ask a specific question:
Answers could give me some insight in what I may expect.
Thanks for all answers
Yes, I cancelled several Caminos planned for this year.
Yes I still plan to go; once a vaccine is available, I have had the vaccine and the governments of both Spain and New Zealand have advised that it is safe to travel and return to my home country.

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015 SJPD to Burgos
2017 Leon to Santiago
Pamplona to Santiago Mar. 2018
Burgos - SCDC (Oct 18)
Someone commented that they will probably go back as soon as it is safe and legal to do so. That is a problem... the govs.may allow it...but will it really be Safe? Right now, Sad to say, I do not trust my own Gov! 😔😔. So I will not be one to baptize the trails when they open up...

gittiharre

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF Austria Czech Le Puy Geneva RLS V. Jacobi V. Regia V. Baltica/Scandinavica Porto Muxia
Spain is going through a lot of pain and suffering. It will be important to allow the spanish people to let us know, if and when they are ready to receive pilgrims again and as someone said, what form that may take...crowded forms? Perhaps not...
Even with the vaccine, risks will remain and this won't be the last virus we are seeing.

irishwalker

Camino(s) past & future
Walking, Astorga-Sarria 2011, StJPdP -Longrono 2012, Logrono- Burgos 2013, StJPdP - SdComp 2014, Valenca do Minho - Santiago ,Easter 2015, Seville- Santiago by roadbike, Sept 2015. Burgos to Leon, walking, May 2016
I had planned to walk from Burgos to Sahagun, starting April 23rd. It would be my third time to walk that section. I like staying in Albergue Santa Brigida in Hontannas, El Camino in Boadilla del Camino, Albergue Espiritu Santo in Carrion de los Condes and Monasterio de la Santa Cruz in Sahagun. In addition I lile the vastness of the Meseta. Hopefully, next year. I hope the World is in a better place then

Antonius Vaessen

Camino(s) past & future
2016.Primitivo
2017 Salvador
2018 Norte (to Sobrado)
2019 Norte again
There won't be caminos next year. I expect the paths and albergues won't reopen until well after vaccinations have commenced.
Many owners of albergues and hotels, restaurants, cafes etc will not have been able to hold on to their businesses and will be closed. I imagine places will gradually reopen, but it will be a very different experience for a while. Many people may not have money available for travel. Airlines will have gone out of business and the skies will be dominated by companies that were bailed out by governments. Who knows, what will happen to prices of air tickets.
The one good thing is, that perhaps the bedbug population has been starved of survival...
How do you know this for sure, your expectations may prove to be true but than again this may not be the case. Opening up the country can revive the economy

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
I expect that quite a few albergues will be history by the time things are back to "normal". Municipal albergues will most likely be open again as before. I guess we will need need new and updated guidebooks before setting out? Maybe @wisepilgrim, @ivar or @Rebekah Scott can shed some light on this?

Helen1

Camino(s) past & future
London to Santiago (2014)
Narbonne to Oloron (2015)
Camino Portugues (2016)
Sentier Cathar (2017)
We had planned to walk in March. I think it's very unlikely we'll be going anywhere in 2020 or maybe 2021. I assume (based on no evidence just a guess) that it will take a very long time for countries to lift non-essential travel restrictions between countries because of the potential health risks.

Will we automatically head back to the camino when this is over? I’m not sure. I suspect we’ll be encouraged to do the patriotic thing and holiday at home to support local businesses.

kazrobbo

Tassie Kaz
Camino(s) past & future
CF 2012
CP 2015
St Olavs Norway 2016
88T Japan 2017
PWC/VF 2019
Israel 2020 X
Wales CP 21?
KK?
VdlP?
We've all had plans thrown into disarray, but rather than think about what may/will happen, I'm eternally grateful for what I have already done.
Last year at this time, I walked from London to Rome through 4 countries, at least 3 of which are currently in dire situations (unsure about Switzerland). It was a long & arduous journey but, Schengen issues aside, I took for granted the ease at which I walked freely across/through those countries.
I will never take that for granted again.

We don't know how this will unfold; all we can do now is wait & see...with Plan B, C & D waiting in the wings.
There is no easy path ahead; it's a complicated, multi-layered situation requiring multi-level thought & decisions.
Best wishes to all. 😊
👣 🌏

dougfitz

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Spain: Mar 2010, Apr 2014, May/Jun 2016. Norway/Sweden: 2012, 2018. Other: 2011, 2019. CP (tbc)
This is so much bigger than our little camino plans.
Someone commented that they will probably go back as soon as it is safe and legal to do so. That is a problem... the govs.may allow it...but will it really be Safe?
Indeed, and for national governments to lift travel restrictions, they will have made the assessment that they can control the spread of the disease, provide adequate care for both their own citizens and any visitors that start to flow, etc, etc. If you don't think that they have the balance right, it is perfectly reasonable for you to decide not to travel.

I don't think anyone would suggest that you do anything that you don't feel is safe for you in your particular circumstances when it comes to what clearly is an entirely discretionary activity like a pilgrimage. But please, give other people the same respect when they make a different assessment to you about their pilgrimage.

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015 SJPD to Burgos
2017 Leon to Santiago
Burgos - SCDC (Oct 18)
Indeed, and for national governments to lift travel restrictions, they will have made the assessment that they can control the spread of the disease, provide adequate care for both their own citizens and any visitors that start to flow, etc, etc. If you don't think that they have the balance right, it is perfectly reasonable for you to decide not to travel.
I don't think anyone would suggest that you do anything that you don't feel is safe for you in your particular circumstances when it comes to what clearly is an entirely discretionary activity like a pilgrimage. But please, give other people the same respect when they make a different assessment to you about their pilgrimage.
Doug. No disrespect was indicated in my statement. I was merely pointing out (first person) that it would be problematic for me, not someone else...

Last edited:

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Camino(s) past & future
Many, various, and continuing.
I expect that quite a few albergues will be history by the time things are back to "normal". Municipal albergues will most likely be open again as before. I guess we will need need new and updated guidebooks before setting out? Maybe @wisepilgrim, @ivar or @Rebekah Scott can shed some light on this?
Can't shed much light, but I've been talking to small albergue owners lately on behalf of Peaceable Projects donors who want to help out. Most everybody has savings enough to get through the next couple of months, but after that, if they cannot open and the pilgrims don't arrive? It's going to get rough.
A lot of them are in trouble already, but they're putting a brave face on it.
The B&Bs, hostels, inns, casas rurales, many of them new, highly leveraged, and very dependent on seasonal trade, must meet big mortgage, tax, payroll, and maintenance costs. Other service industries like baggage transfers, tour guides, taxis, massage therapists, and launderettes will likely also perish if this continues through the summer.
The non-profits run by monasteries, associations, and municipalities have a much better chance of surviving, as their overhead is much lower -- volunteer labor, no taxes, no mortgage payment.
So: If this plague does continue, the Camino will perhaps become a much more stripped-down, basic, hardcore non-profit place. Perhaps this virus is a "bonfire of the vanities," burning away all the commodified cheap hiking holiday trappings, even if that means taking out great people and great enterprises.
Maybe the trail will return to its scruffy old self. It's done this before, you know. It knows how.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
Can't shed much light, but I've been talking to small albergue owners lately on behalf of Peaceable Projects donors who want to help out. Most everybody has savings enough to get through the next couple of months, but after that, if they cannot open and the pilgrims don't arrive? It's going to get rough.
The B&Bs, hostels, inns, casas rurales, many of them new, highly leveraged, and very dependent on seasonal trade, must meet big mortgage, tax, payroll, and maintenance costs. Other service industries like baggage transfers, tour guides, taxis, massage therapists, and launderettes will likely also perish if this continues through the summer.
The non-profits run by monasteries, associations, and municipalities have a much better chance of surviving, as their overhead is much lower -- volunteer labor, no taxes, no mortgage payment.
So: If this plague does continue, the Camino will perhaps become a much more stripped-down, basic, hardcore non-profit place. Perhaps this virus is a "bonfire of the vanities," burning away all the commodified cheap hiking holiday trappings, even if that means taking out great people and great enterprises.
Maybe the trail will return to its scruffy old self. It's done this before, you know. It knows how.
Thank you for your insight. It was close to what I feared. But, maybe something good will come out of this too.

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015 SJPD to Burgos
2017 Leon to Santiago
Burgos - SCDC (Oct 18)
Bless you and the work you do😄 sending avery small donation to use as you see fit.

Last edited:

Angela Stewart

Camino(s) past & future
Planning the Camino Frances for April (2020)
Thanks for all answers
We were meant to arrive in SSPP on April 17th. Our airline has given us until April 30th 2021 to use the credit so, as this European autumn will be too soon and we don’t want to walk a winter camino, we hope to start late April next year, if the all clear is given. The prospect of crowds due to Holy Year combined with a post- coronavirus surge, is concerning but so is the possibility of it never happening if we defer too long!

Spurselona

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2020)?
I was supposed to start 4 days ago from SJPdP.
Hoping to do my local St. Olavs Way come may instead.
Right now I'm thinking that when it opens up again in France and Spain I will go within a couple of weeks or so after that.

Not trying to be insensitive, but I'm not so sure I agree with the sentiment of Spain and France needing a period to mourn after thing opens up. The world is already in shock and this is something we are all going through together. Spain and France are already mourning (And Italy, and Belgium, and Netherlands and many many, probably most other countries by the time this is over)
WHEN we reach the time governments open up again, I'm thinking people around the world will be desperate for things to go back to normal as soon as possible, including people running albergues. Waiting for months after it is again allowed to travel will only increase the hardship of those depending on pilgrims/tourists is my thinking. So I will go if allowed. With or without a vaccine. I hope for a late fall/winter Camino.
I might ad a tent to the backpack though. Just in case.

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Camino(s) past & future
C. Frances SJPP - Finisterre - Muxia (May 2016)
C. Frances (Sept 2017)
Camino Portugues (June 2019)
My heart goes out to Spain. Yes, for all the folks and small businesses along the Camino, that I remember and love, but mostly for the lives lost, the families shattered. The numbers are staggering and my thoughts are with you all.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
If we talk about risk, there is personal risk and then there is collective risk.
If we all do what we want without considering the latter, this will go on much longer.
And more people will die: maybe even you, or maybe a loved one.

People living in collective cultures have an easier time right now than those of us in cultures that are individualistic. Because in the case of a pandemic, it's not about me, or you, but us - and the sooner we make that leap the better. Unfortunately many of us have forgotten (or never learned) how to sacrifice our personal desires for the sake of everyone. We've been spoiled rotten for decades.

So it's fine to do what you want, so long as it is 'legal.'
But what if your actions have fatal (or at the very least difficult) consequences for someone else? Do you care?
I assume you would.

Camino(s) past & future
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean May/June 2017. Plans to walk Porto 2020
Thanks for all answers
Hola Antonius, are you thinking about a resumption in 2020 or sometime early in 2021?? IMHO from the number of deaths being reported daily in Spain I strongly doubt that there will be any resumption this year. As for 2021 well being a "Holy Year" its already going to be almost chaos, if you try to add in "those who missed out in 2020" it will be, again my opinion a disaster (waiting to happen).
As much as I want to walk the Porto with my brother (whilst I am still able) it could be that, for me, that ship has sailed. I agree with the comments about a vaccine - given my circumstances that might be the only way I can contemplate returning to Spain.😭

Last edited:

wayfarer

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
SJPP-Santiago-Finistera-Muxia. April/May 2012
Sarria-Santiago Sept. 2013
SJPP - Almost Orrison April 2014
Unfortunately I am currently undergoing chemotherapy so I will need a six month "clearance" and a vaccination before I could contemplate travel anywhere outside of my home town. Cheers
Get well and stay safe Mike.

PJN

Camino(s) past & future
-
Well we are also retired and walk about 6-10 days a year , always in June.
This year we are flagging it altogether - partly because one of us cones from New Zealand and takes more booking
I think the only factor worth thinking about is - will the auberges actually be open , very keen to get back into operating , or closed for longer just to be sure of no Covid19.
Good luck and keep walking x

Antonius Vaessen

Camino(s) past & future
2016.Primitivo
2017 Salvador
2018 Norte (to Sobrado)
2019 Norte again
If we talk about risk, there is personal risk and then there is collective risk.
If we all do what we want without considering the latter, this will go on much longer.

People living in collective cultures have an easier time right now than those of us in cultures that are individualistic. Because in the case of a pandemic, it's not about me, or you, but us - and the sooner we make that leap the better. Unfortunately many of us have forgotten (or never learned) how to sacrifice our personal desires for the sake of everyone. We've been spoiled rotten for decades.

But what if your actions have fatal (or at the very least difficult) consequences for someone else? Do you care?
I assume you would.
The point is that at some time the situation must gradually return to normal. The consequences of the lockdown are immense not only economic but also interhuman. Elderly people staying in homes who cannot receive visitors, grandparnents who cannot see their grandchildren, people who spend their last hours alone and so one. Someone will have to decide when the time has come to loosen the "chains". Hopefully you live in ( or go to a ) a country whose judgement who you can trust. I am from the Netherlands and although I am not a supporter of the parties that are in our administration I do trust them in this ( and trust the governments in Spain, France in this) How you act in the new situation is than up to your own judgement.

Barbara

Camino(s) past & future

I assume you would.
i suggest you read my post again. Carefully. I will use my best judgement.

snowwhite1962

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances Oct/Nov 2017
Camino Portuguese Sept/Oct 2019
Remember 2021 is a Holy Year so I expect it could be very busy.

David Pettee

Camino(s) past & future
GPM '86; Soviet/Amer. Walk '88; Death Valley to Mt. Whitney '89; CF '18; Coast to Coast '19; CP '20?
We have with optimism rescheduled our Camino which was to have started this Thursday to late October. We will consider going only if there is no threat that we could be in any way a burden on the health care system, and if it clear that we are being invited back by Spain because life is returning enough to normal. Oh, and if the air carrier we booked our flights on is still in business!

Michael-FL

Camino(s) past & future
Caminho Portugues (2017)
Frances/Salvador/Primitivo (2021)
Thanks for all answers
I was planning to begin at SJPdP on 18 April. I was cancelled. Still waiting on my airfare refund, but not holding my breath. I do plan to go ad doon as we get the “all clear”, but God only knows when that will be.

Camino(s) past & future
travelling from SJPP in early May 2014
Like many others I had camino plans in the near future (may from Le Puy en Velay to Irun) I am retired, am for a great deal "master of my own time" so I can start my camino real soon after lock down is over. I don't like crowds, races for beds and so on though. Now I don't know what to expect, will many people who could not go take up their plans as soon as possible? I know that no one can see in the future that is why I want to ask a specific question:
Thanks for all answers
I too have the same question. I cancelled my Via de La Plata this April. I have wondered about September but expect it will take a year to get the routes up and running once lock down is relaxed. Different routes will revive at different rates I think. I doubt if the Holy year surge will occur and facilities may be unable to cope as they pick up slowly. I expect April 2022 will be my next opportunity for La Plata. But one can hope for earlier.

Arctic_Alex

Camino(s) past & future
Finished: Camino Frances April/May 2019
Canceled: Primitivo May 2020
I doubt the Camino will reopen in 2020. This lockdown isn’t going to resolve until there is a treatment or vaccine.
1. I would bet on it being open.
If there is no vaccine by autumn, a huge part of this planet's population will have been in contact with the virus by then anyway. Why? Because it is fast spreading and lockdowns cannot be be upheld for very long as this would destroy the economical existence of a large part of the population causing widespread collapse. Economical collapse also has its pronounced death toll (domestic violence, abuse and suicide rates climbing already now as we speak – one of the better known first victims being the finance minister of the German state of Hesse).
2. Life along the Camino for many of the small businesses will only settle down once the pilgrims return I guess. Opening the country is a prerequisite for things to get back in order, not the other way round I would guess.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) Portugues(2013)
San Salvador (2017) Ingles (2019)
I knew a lovely Irish lady who thought in Irish but spoke in English. Maybe I am making this up, but it fits! She might have replied: You have reason with you. I think you do, Rebekah.

PeteAJ

Camino(s) past & future
Francés (May/June 2018),
Portugués (May/June 2019),
Inglés (June 2019)
Worried this whole year is shot and the return will be gradual. It seems like albergue closings and some new cleanliness routines will be inescapable. I'd be surprised by a sudden rush of returning pilgrims but the Holy Year coming up..

What if normal isn't the same again?

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
The point is that at some time the situation must gradually return to normal
Think 'new normal.' Things will go back to some steady state, but it will likely look different than what we had before.

Googled it and came up with this article titled The medieval pilgrimage routes, key to the spread of the Black Death
The plague hit harder with more recurrences in towns along the camino route. This is not the plague, but still - the same dynamic applies. It was people traveling along the camino who were the vectors for those recurrences.
That means us.

In the 1918 flu epidemic, the second wave - the resurgence and recurrence that happened after the initial spike of infections died down - was much more virulent than the first. And, no. This is not the flu, either. But this is definitely a possibility.

"It's my camino" is an attitude worth dropping right now, in favor of thinking of our host communities, and the elders who live there. Whether they be in our own country or not.

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese Coastal (2018)
Portuguese Coastal, with Spiritual Variant (2019)
My wife and I planned to do the Inglis later this year, as well as volunteer again at the Pilgrim's Office. But all that has been put aside. Reading all these posts made me realize that we will not be able to travel anywhere outside of the U.S. until there is a vaccine or treatment for the virus. Grim thought.

p3nny

Camino(s) past & future
September (2013), June (2015), June (2018) July (2019)
“Maybe we can meet again at the Port Hope service center on the 401 and sip coffee through straws, past our masks and from a 2 meter distance.”
Let me and my mask join you! That is an easy drive from Niagara. Not sure if there’s enough room in my car for my Camino memories and hopes for a fifth one. Lol

Papadragons

Camino(s) past & future
June 2019
If the airlines cancel the flight, airlines are obligated to refund the money. You just may have to be persistent. The downside is having to wait until it is cancelled.

susanawee

susanawee
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances-(2013/14/18
Camino Salvado Perth -(2015)
West Highland Way (2016)
Lyon France 2017
We are scheduled for SJPDP - Burgos (did first half in 2019) mid September . We have some risk factors and need to travel from Seattle, USA. I’m beginning to wrap my head around that this is not going to happen. I’d like to go in 2021 but don’t enjoy crowds. I’ve heard that most of the Holy Year crowds will be the 2nd half so it may still work for us.
As St.jJames day is 25th July of each year, i would expect that the mid half of the beginning of the year will be the busiest time because, The Feast Day of St.James, is usually a very busy time and, I imagine in a HolyYear, the crowds would be double than in years which are not designated as holy ones.

Last edited:

susanawee

susanawee
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances-(2013/14/18
Camino Salvado Perth -(2015)
West Highland Way (2016)
Lyon France 2017
Unfortunately I am currently undergoing chemotherapy so I will need a six month "clearance" and a vaccination before I could contemplate travel anywhere outside of my home town. Cheers
I am sorry to read that you are presently unwell Saint Mike. Camino blessing and prayers for your recovery.

Arctic_Alex

Camino(s) past & future
Finished: Camino Frances April/May 2019
Canceled: Primitivo May 2020
Just from a gut feeling I would expect 2021 to be really too busy as it is a
holy year and many who were to do it this year will do it next year ... myself included probably. I fear for the worst ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 323 25.0%
  • June

Votes: 94 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 369 28.6%
  • October

Votes: 154 11.9%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock