• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Way finding Route Napolean from St Jean to Roncesvalles

peakpair

We will be walking this approximately September . since we live in Colorado and are accustomed to hiking at 10-12,000' feet, elevation and steepness will not be so much of an issue as the way finding. how difficult is the way finding?

thank you!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
If you call into the Pilgrim Office in SJPP one of the sheets they give you is a description/map of the Route Napoleon and of the lower route. The day I climbed the weather was perfect and all the direction signs were easy to see. But I have seen photos where people have walked in fog etc where you would need more caution.
Margaret

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We did it with bad weather conditions (fog, rain, some snow left on the top) end of April.

If you strictly stay on the way, you should be fine!
Be just careful to signs - and if locals say "don't" don't!!!
Then it might be really dangerous.

Buen camino

Fatma

peakpair...... here is blog post from Portia, who is currently walking- so we are talking the beginning of September- so even when it is almost still 'summer' the weather can make visibility bad at the top:

"Just a very short one today as my internet time is extremely limited. Today was a hard one. Finally crossed the Pyrenees today in rain and sleet into Spain. Then I made a wrong turn somewhere after the peak as I couldn´t see in the dense fog-which eventually led me down the mountain to a small town where I learned that I was in the wrong place. So back up the mountain in the blowing rain to the top. Three additional hours and probably 6 extra miles I did not need."

You can read her blog post at: http://itbeginswithonestepforward.blogspot.com/2009/09/arrived-in-roncesvalles.html
Margaret

peakpair said:
We will be walking this approximately September . since we live in Colorado and are accustomed to hiking at 10-12,000' feet, elevation and steepness will not be so much of an issue as the way finding. how difficult is the way finding?

thank you!
Peakpair!

Nice to hear that you decided to do to Camino Frances.
I crossed the Pyrenees in mid- May this year.The camino is easy to follow,it is well way-marked. But SUDDENLY when I was on the very top the highest point and started walking down THE FOG came from nowhere. There is two alternative ways down from the top to Roncesvalles 1) the shorter way but steeper and 2) the road walking but longer. Met some other pilgrims up on the top and we decided to take the road walking but longer way down because it was easier to follow in the fog. The sight was only a couple of meters. But down we came and what an experience!
Buen Camino
annie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
FYI, the pilgrim´s office tells you to take the route on the right on their map (which is the road) as opposed to the steep, shorter route (it´s on the left on their map.) Additionally, the camino signage points you down the steep, shorter route. IT IS VERY VERY STEEP & THERE WERE TIMES THAT I THOUGHT I WAS LOST. And there was no fog or rain or anything to block my view. What I saved in km, I lost in time having to pick my way teeny step by teeny step.

IMO, take the road, which will be on your left when you get to the top, especially if the weather is bad & you can´t see too far.

Kelly

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back