• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Way Markers

Simon B

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ingles and Camino Frances. VDLP Spring 2019
I am planning to walk a little of this route either side of Marciac at Christmas. How good are the waymarks? And is there an app and where could I find the route in gpx form for my phone?

Many thanks in anticipation.

SImon

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't think Marciac is actually on the Le Puy route (Via Podiensis). The Le Puy route runs about 25-30km North of Marciac through Aire Sur l'Adoure (Condom - Eauze - Nogaro - Aire Sur l'Adour - Arzacq-Arraziguet - Arthez de Bearn - Naverrenx).

Not sure about around Marciac at all, but the route above is extremely well marked. It is a very pretty stretch.

Davey

I don't think Marciac is actually on the Le Puy route (Via Podiensis). The Le Puy route runs about 25-30km North of Marciac through Aire Sur l'Adoure (Condom - Eauze - Nogaro - Aire Sur l'Adour - Arzacq-Arraziguet - Arthez de Bearn - Naverrenx).

Not sure about around Marciac at all, but the route above is extremely well marked. It is a very pretty stretch.

Davey
Davey - thank you. As soon as I sent the email I think I realised my mistake!!! What confused me was visiting Marciac in the summer and in a church that I popped into there was a huge display about the Chemin Le Puy - so my assumption was that it was on the route. Will undoubtedly find somewhere to walk but probably not the Le Puy.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Having looked further at Marciac the route is the Way of Arles. Thanks for your help.

Ok! That makes sense. Not walked Arles route yet so didn't know.

But it is interesting that at Marciac the two routes are only a days walk apart, so a pilgrim could switch routes if wished.

Having looked further at Marciac the route is the Way of Arles.
The Arles route, and all the other GR long-distance routes in France, are carefully marked on the IPhiGenie app, showing route and topo at very good scale.

The Arles route, and all the other GR long-distance routes in France, are carefully marked on the IPhiGenie app, showing route and topo at very good scale.
This looks great - thank you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just downloaded the app and had a play. It looks really very good so thank you again.

@Simon B , kia ora (greetings, good health)

You may also care to look at WayMarkedTrails. It just opens in a browser and you zoom into any known point along the route to see the route itself. Also known as GR 653 and Via Tolosona.

Kia kaha (take, care, be strong, get going)

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back