• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Way marking on the Ruta del Mar

Time of past OR future Camino
FRuture: Camino Sureste (2022)
Dear all,
I am planning to walk the Ruta del Mar next September/October and would like to know if there is adaquate waymarking on this route.
Would appreciate that anyone who did this route would share his/her views.
Thamk you
Ray Aquilina

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We walked the Ruta del Cantabrico in 2019. Wonderful. The Ruta Del Mar follows it in some places but is not (or wasn’t then) marked. The Ruta del Cantabrico itself is very well marked.

Last edited:
We found the way-marking was patchy, depending on whether there were active camino groups/friends in the area. We had copied the route onto a Mapa Militar for each section and used that when in doubt.
Much easier now with @Dave 's guide book.
As the Camino is now official the way-marking might have become more consistent.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am planning to walk the Ruta del Mar next September/October and would like to know if there is adaquate waymarking on this route.
The good news is that locals have been working hard recently to improve waymarking, so it's better now than it was before. That's a very low bar, though! Until I've seen it with my own eyes, I wouldn't advise anyone to walk the Mar without access to gpx tracks, at least as a safety net.

Our tracks are available for free download here (free Cicerone account required). Each track includes both the "official" Mar approach and the coastal alternatives, where relevant. You can find others on wikiloc and elsewhere.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.