• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Way of Saint Benedict

thomryng

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés (x3), Primitivo, Podiensis
Has anybody walked the Cammino di San Benedetto in Italy? I'd love to get some first-hand accounts of this route.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I just caught the end of a Catholic radio program where Al Kresta interviewed Karl Keating who wrote a book called Sun, Storm and Solitude: Discovering Hidden Italy on the Cammino di San Benedetto... The program aired today, maybe you could listed to the podcast of it. Or you could get the book which is available on Amazon.

I am going to walk it in August this year. I have already walked some Camminos in Italy. And even some stages of Cammino di San Benedetto because sometimes different camino overlap. There is everything there: the immense landscapes, fantastic food, those little towns hanging on the slopes of the mountains, architecture, art, history, good weather and the hospitality of Italians. There is a good guide "Cammino di San Benedetto" by Simone Frignani, also in English version. And also phone app version (terre.it online bookshop). There is also very active Facebook group, where Simone Frignani is one of the administrators.
The way is not very difficult and from my Itialian experience and also from what they say, 40 eur on average per albergo with breakfast (Italian breakfast is not very substantial though) and dinner (usually plenty of fantastic food). There are some donativos on the way as well. For example Poggio Bustone monaster (incredible view from the top and historic St Francis place, food to prepare by yourself).
There are 16 officially designed stages. Some of them very short, so you can shorten it to 14. Yet the guide author says that he did it on purpose in 16 as there is so much to see and visit.
I can't wait myself to deep dive again in all those Italian wonders.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi All interested in Cammino di San Benedetto :)

I have just managed to finish the playlist of 15 short videos. One for each day.

There is 16 official stages but at some point we made 3 stages in 2 days.
I must add that we had incredibly high temperatures in August (heatwave Lucifer in Europe). So it added a lot of extra effort to the route. It is a hard one, but I suppose I would perceive it less difficult if not for the heat

Enjoy :)

Hi Anna, thank you so much for sharing your videos! I started watching them and now am definitely looking into walking this Cammino in May. So beautiful!
Could I ask you for some more information? You mentioned in your post you found it though and rather expensive (and beautiful and exceptional). What made it though and expensive?
Also, is this a walk you where you need to arrange accommodation in advance, or can you just show up? I bought the guide, but it doesn’t give any information on this.
Many thanks in advance!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What made it though and expensive?
Also, is this a walk you where you need to arrange accommodation in advance, or can you just show up?
Hi Gwenda,
It is a physically demanding camino. But maybe my view is a bit distorted by the extreme heat that we experienced in August. Anyway, lot of uphills/downhills Maybe not on the first two, three days though. My videos have wikiloc links in their description, you can see the altitude profiles there. And the paths are not what I am used to in my mountains or in Spain. Let's say raw. Sometimes loose ground, sometimes just filled with loose rocks. It is tiring to constantly watch your every step. However - rewarding.
Expensive comparing to Spain. 50 eur per day is a fair average I think. There is no albergues on the way (with some exceptions). You need to pay 25-45 euro, sometimes with breakfast (this is Italy, so only something sweet with coffee), sometimes with dinner. Strongly recommend to choose dinner option if offered. Always fantastic. Sometimes there are dinativo options.
Advance accommodation was a must in August (well advance, a month) but in May I think there shouldn't be a problem. However you should call them a day before because you never know and because they need to be prepared with beds and with food. One more thing - everyone you meet on the way is extremely hospitable. You are not a tourist for them.
Ah, and you do not want to change the recommended stages. We made day 4,5 and 6 (Leonessa to Rocca Sinibalda) in two days and it was too much.
Hope it hepls
Do you have Simone Frignani guide?

Last edited:
Hi Gwenda,
It is a physically demanding camino. But maybe my view is a bit distorted by the extreme heat that we experienced in August. Anyway, lot of uphills/downhills Maybe not on the first two, three days though. My videos have wikiloc links in their description, you can see the altitude profiles there. And the paths are not what I am used to in my mountains or in Spain. Let's say raw. Sometimes loose ground, sometimes just filled with loose rocks. It is tiring to constantly watch your every step. However - rewarding.
Expensive comparing to Spain. 50 eur per day is a fair average I think. There is no albergues on the way (with some exceptions). You need to pay 25-45 euro, sometimes with breakfast (this is Italy, so only something sweet with coffee), sometimes with dinner. Strongly recommend to choose dinner option if offered. Always fantastic. Sometimes there are dinativo options.
Advance accommodation was a must in August (well advance, a month) but in May I think there shouldn't be a problem. However you should call them a day before because you never know and because they need to be prepared with beds and with food. One more thing - everyone you meet on the way is extremely hospitable. You are not a tourist for them.
Ah, and you do not want to change the recommended stages. We made day 4,5 and 6 (Leonessa to Rocca Sinibalda) in two days and it was too much.
Hope it hepls
Do you have Simone Frignani guide?
Thank you so much for your reply. Really helps to have this extra information. I was wondering about the short days, makes more sense now.
I have Frignani’s guide and have been watching your YouTube videos. It looks so beautiful.
I haven’t decided yet, don’t want to plan to far ahead with Covid still going strong. But I hope I can do it. Many thanks again and buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I walked along the VF last spring, May 16-June 9. It's a beautiful route, and a completely different experience from France or Spain. I haven't been able to put my thoughts in coherent order...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.