• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Way of Saint-Gillies - does anyone have experience/knowledge of this route?

tangata hikoi

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy to Pamploma (April/May 2014)
VDLP March 2019 Sanabres April 2019
Finisterre/Muxia April 2019
Hello Fellow Walkers
I'm fortunate to have the possibility to walk for some months from March and plan to walk Chemin du Robert Stevenson and return to Le Puy via Chemin Saint-Gillies. Does anyone have any knowledge thoughts of these routes?
My reason for doing this is to walk for a month or so before meeting friends in Le Puy to walk to Conque - my second time on that route but one that holds wonderful memories for me.
I have read that the Stevenson route is possible year round although accommodation might be harder to find. Anyone have experience of March walking there?
Thanks for any thoughts
Megg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Walked the RLS a few years ago. Great Route and thinking about the St Gilles.
Guidebooks available at tourist office and cathedral in Le Puy.
They have less of a pilgrim feel as routes and more of a straight walkers feel. Lots of groups on organized tours, people walking with hired donkeys. More expensive as one has to opt for occasional hotel room, but mostly accommodation with demipension/shared dinners. I spent 48 Euros on average per day versus 38 on the Geneva to Le Puy route which I also walked that year. I walked in September. Great month except for the hunting season being in full swing. Nervous making.
Def book ahead.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Walked the RLS a few years ago. Great Route and thinking about the St Gilles.
Guidebooks available at tourist office and cathedral in Le Puy.
They have less of a pilgrim feel as routes and more of a straight walkers feel. Lots of groups on organized tours, people walking with hired donkeys. More expensive as one has to opt for occasional hotel room, but mostly accommodation with demipension/shared dinners. I spent 48 Euros on average per day versus 38 on the Geneva to Le Puy route which I also walked that year. I walked in September. Great month except for the hunting season being in full swing. Nervous making.
Def book ahead.
Thanks Gitta.

Have recently walked the RLS trail starting in August. If you are walking solo, you probably need only book ahead the day before, just to make sure they have enough food for your dinner. However, there are some towns that have restaurants and cafes so you might be able to get by without booking in those places.
We were quite surprised by the increase in numbers starting from Le Puy this year as compared to the other two times that we had walked from there before. So I would probably reserve accommodation there.
We didn’t allow enough time for the RLS route and cut it down to 11 nights. On reflection, we should have taken 13 at least. It is a beautiful route. March will be very cold and possibly snowing. The food is amazing and most of the accommodation is excellent.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you Sharon, really appreciate your post

Most read last week in this forum

Hello Has anyone recently walked any of the GR653A Via Aurelia towards Santiago de Compostela. I am in the Var area near Le Muy but cannot find any local info. I did find part of the route on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.