• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Way of St Augustine

OnHellas

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances Sept/Oct 2017
Portuguese April 2018 (From Porto)
Well, another part Camino completed…and weren’t we lucky with the weather.
We, that is my mate Stuart and I decided to take a walk.
Two days from Canterbury to Ramsgate.
We only live 8 miles from the cathedral in Canterbury so we walked there, meeting up after a mile or so from our respective homes.
Luck had us pick November the 29th and 30th. Although it was cold it was dry and Storm Arwen, or what we got of it here in Kent had gone.

Stuart had bought a guide book and along with the helpful little stickers and direction plaques we ended the day some 18 or so miles later at The Grove Ferry Inn. About £90 for a twin room with breakfast. Nice.
The route passes quite a few churches, crosses some wet, obviously as it was November, areas and some very pretty Kent villages.

Day two was a bit warmer and a small English Breakfast set us up nicely for the 13.5 miles to Ramsgate. Again wet and a bit slippery in places underfoot, navigational errors were kept to one adding a bit of distance on the way in to Minster.
But I’m Minster we found the tea room at the Abbey. Lemon cake, tea and a complimentary mince pie added to a rest for our feet made a win win situation in my book.

So, not much detail but a thumbs up for the mini Camino that virtually runs by more front door. We recommend it.
Now we need to go and do the but from Rochester to Canterbury.

Attachments

• 081E6555-4FF1-4D5C-8E52-9EC307F1BF6C.jpeg
    081E6555-4FF1-4D5C-8E52-9EC307F1BF6C.jpeg
    847.9 KB · Views: 30
  • C29ECE81-6271-4771-89C0-3FBF94D6102A.jpeg
    C29ECE81-6271-4771-89C0-3FBF94D6102A.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 30
  • 69DEE137-7608-4ED3-A8E8-090725541C29.jpeg
    69DEE137-7608-4ED3-A8E8-090725541C29.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
We only live 8 miles from the cathedral in Canterbury so we walked there, meeting up after a mile or so from our respective homes.
Luck had us pick November the 29th and 30th. Although it was cold it was dry and Storm Arwen, or what we got of it here in Kent had gone.

Stuart had bought a guide book and along with the helpful little stickers and direction plaques we ended the day some 18 or so miles later at The Grove Ferry Inn. About £90 for a twin room with breakfast. Nice.
The route passes quite a few churches, crosses some wet, obviously as it was November, areas and some very pretty Kent villages.

Day two was a bit warmer and a small English Breakfast set us up nicely for the 13.5 miles to Ramsgate. Again wet and a bit slippery in places underfoot, navigational errors were kept to one adding a bit of distance on the way in to Minster.
But I’m Minster we found the tea room at the Abbey. Lemon cake, tea and a complimentary mince pie added to a rest for our feet made a win win situation in my book.

So, not much detail but a thumbs up for the mini Camino that virtually runs by more front door. We recommend it.
You could do the part of the Via Francigena from Canterbury to Dover next. The stamp from Canterbury cathedral is quite nice and the church at Shepherdswell sell a lovely red and white patch for your pack!

Thanks for your update and pics. Glad that all went well. Lemon cake plus mince pie for tea sound great.
Looking forward to reading your next chapter as we all keep on keeping on.
Stay safe and Carpe diem.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I enjoyed a wonderful 4 days walking from Rochester Cathedral to Canterbury Cathedral along the Pilgrim Way via Aylesford (Priory) Lenham and Broughton Lees during October. Dodged most of the rain, visited several beautiful churches, much appreciated the quiet of the Priory and after 60 miles had the nice surprise of free entry in to Canterbury Cathedral as a genuine pilgrim, and, yes, the Cathedral stamp is pretty good. Planning to walk from Salisbury to Winchester next. At 24 miles the only decision to be made is 1 day or 2? Probably the latter. Buen Camino

I walked the Augustine Camino in December 2019, starting at my son's home in Rochester. I had first visited the Cathedral there in 2018, returning home from walking the S:t Olavsleden. It was an interesting walk to do, and in winter one could not expect to see many others using these paths, and I didn't.

I did use the services of Andrew Kelly, who was instrumental in establishing the route and co-authored a guidebook, to book accommodation. That worked well enough, although there were some legs that involved walking in the dark for other reasons on top of the shorter winter days.

Andrew also arranged for churches and other significant buildings to be open, and being the only pilgrim, I had delightful personal guided tours of some wonderful churches along the way and at the end. Perhaps the highlight was a blessing by a deacon at Canterbury Cathedral after evensong.

I will be back in the Rochester area for a few days in January, and intend to walk the four one day pilgrimage routes that all lead to the Cathedral - the Justus Way, Ithamar Way, William of Hoo Way and Gundulf Way (see https://britishpilgrimage.org/portfolio/rochester-cathedral-pilgrimage-in-a-day/ for descriptions).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I used to go to the Grove Ferry Inn for lunch with my family many years ago on exeat from school. My family are from East Kent.

I used to go to the Grove Ferry Inn for lunch with my family many years ago on exeat from school. My family are from East Kent.
It's not as good as it used to be:

Deconstructed Fish and Chips - with batter scraps, skin-on lemon salted fries and pea and mint purée £14.95

I wonder if they still keep those rare breed pigs in the pen out the front?

It's not as good as it used to be:

Deconstructed Fish and Chips - with batter scraps, skin-on lemon salted fries and pea and mint purée £14.95

I wonder if they still keep those rare breed pigs in the pen out the front?
Nothing is ever as good as it used to be!! Always going to new places is one solution, and I keep getting closer to the other as I get more forgetful. Soon, everything old will be new again.:)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I certainly agree that the food probably isn’t as good as it used to be…….the kitchen was closed on the Monday night!!

Beer and crisps on arrival worked for us though.

Luckily M&S in Canterbury had sandwiches in stock for us to take with us……and biscuits.

A great couple of days…

Thanks for the bump. I've bookmarked it for later in the year. Interesting accommodation.

And you can also stay within the grounds of Canterbury Cathedral though that does not seem to be mentioned.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.