• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Way point feedback.

lanval

Hello all,

As my son will be joining me part of the way through the camino (In León on day 18), I need to have a good idea of where I will be and when so we can connect.

So I've come up with a list of the places I intend to overnight in and I was wondering if I could get some feedback on the choices.

Route
  • St Jean Pied de Port
    Roncesvalles
    Larrasoaña
    Uterga
    Estella
    Torres del Río (rest day)
    Navarrete
    Azofra
    Viloria de Rioja
    San Juan de Ortega
    Burgos
    Hontanas (rest day)
    Boadilla del Camino
    Carrión de los Condes
    San Nicolás del Real Camino
    El Burgo Ranero (rest day)
    León
    Hospital de Órbigo
    Santa Catalina de Somoza
    El Acebo
    Cacabelos
    Vega de Valcarce (rest day)
    Fonfría
    Sarria
    Gonzar
    Melide
    Santa Irene
    Santiago de Compostela (rest day - maybe)
    Negreira
    Oliveiroa
    Finisterre

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Good plan but try not to be too tied to it.

Route
  • St Jean Pied de Port
    Roncesvalles
    Larrasoaña
    Uterga
    Estella
    Navarrete
    Azofra
    Viloria de Rioja
    San Juan de Ortega
    Burgos
    Hontanas (rest day)
    Boadilla del Camino
    Carrión de los Condes
    El Burgo Ranero (rest day) A rest day here would be dull, dull, dull, I would take it in Leon
    León
    Hospital de Órbigo
    Santa Catalina de Somoza
    El Acebo
    Cacabelos
    Vega de Valcarce (rest day) Again I would rest in Villafranca instead, I love the town.
    Fonfría
    Sarria
    Gonzar
    Melide
    Santa Irene
    Santiago de Compostela (rest day - maybe)
    Negreira
    Oliveiroa
    Finisterre

William, thanks for the advice. :)

Does this look better?

• St Jean Pied de Port
    Roncesvalles
    Larrasoaña
    Uterga
    Estella
    Navarrete
    Azofra
    Viloria de Rioja
    San Juan de Ortega
    Burgos
    Hontanas (rest day)
    Boadilla del Camino
    Carrión de los Condes
    El Burgo Ranero
    León (rest day)
    Hospital de Órbigo
    Santa Catalina de Somoza
    Riego de Ambrós
    Villafranca del Bierzo (rest day)
    O Cebreiro
    Samos
    Ferreiros
    Palas de Rei
    Ribadiso da Baixo
    Pedrouzo –
    Santiago de Compostela (rest day)
    Negreira
    Oliveiroa
    Finisterre

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Could I suggest that you change the rest days. You will exhaust the sights of Hontanas, Torres del Rio and El Burgo Ranero in 1/2 an hour, but

Estella,
Burgos and
Leon

are all beautiul places and worhy of extra time.

And try to spend more than one day in Santiago de Compostela. There is so much to see in the city, and it has a wonderful ambiance. You may also want to spend time here catching up with fellow pilgrims.

Also, while it's good to plan ahead, as others have said be flexible. The Camino has a way of disrupting all good plans, be it by weather, injury, illness, detours, or just a need to relax and go slowly.

Trudy

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thank Trudy.

I'll move the rest days. As for the schedule, the main thing is to get to Leon by the right day to met my son. If I get too far behind I'll have to warn him to met me elsewhere, but Leon is the goal.

I do hope to spend a day or two in Santiago after getting to Finisterre. My wife and other son will be waiting for me in Santiago for a few days. Then a trip south to the Alhambra; another dream I intend to fulfil on this trip. :)

Michael, may I suggest some tinkering with your schedule? Viloria de Rioja to San Juan de Ortega is all uphill. It is a VERY steep climb out of Villafranca & no water fountains until San Juan. Perhaps you should stay at Villafranca Montes de Oca instead of San Juan, climb out the next day, then spend the night in Ages or Atapuerca instead? Atapuerca has a visitor´s center focused on the excavations in the area & shows a very interesting film (well, to me at least) about the fossils & humanoid remains they have found there. The albergue in San Juan is okay, but I hear the bathrooms are not nice & one pilgrim I met who stayed there said she didn´t shower because of it. The church, on the other hand, was one of the nicest & most "holy" small church I looked into. It´s a shame about the albergue there, since I liked the church & would have liked to have stayed.

You will enjoy the private albergue at Boadilla. It was a slice of heaven to me & my friends (although it looks iffy from the outside).

Kelly

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hello Kelly,

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. :D

I've moved my San Juan stay over to Atapuerca. It adds a day to the walk, but I think I may have been a tad optimistic on the first part and the extra day is a good thing. This change relaxes the first half of the walk a fair bit.

So I'm now sitting at this:
  • St Jean Pied de Port
    Roncesvalles
    Larrasoaña
    Uterga
    Estella – rest day
    Navarrete
    Azofra
    Viloria de Rioja
    Villafranca de Montes de Oca
    Atapuerca
    Burgos – rest day
    Hontanas
    Boadilla del Camino
    Carrión de los Condes
    El Burgo Ranero
    León – rest day
    Hospital de Órbigo
    Santa Catalina de Somoza
    Riego de Ambrós
    Villafranca del Bierzo
    O Cebreiro – rest day
    Samos
    Ferreiros
    Palas de Rei
    Pedrouzo
    Santiago de Compostela – rest day
    Negreira
    Oliveiroa
    Finisterre

Have a good trip, Michael. You might want to look over the Hontanas-Boadilla section as well. It´s a steep climb out of Castrojeriz too. 3 days of "mule-killer" descents aren´t fun. If you can make it, great, but if not, see if Casa Nostra in Castrojeriz is still open. It was a nice place to stay.

Some more advice: listen to your body. I´ve met many pilgrims with blister-filled feet, one so bad he was in hospital over night with orders to stay in Burgos at least 3 days. His feet were scary looking although when I saw him today, his feet looked almost normal. Others have been getting very sick. If you don´t stop when your body says to, you WILL get sick, one way or the other.

Tips: never pass up the opportunity to sit down, use the restroom, or wash your hands with soap.

Kelly

re your plan to visit the Alhambra. PLEASE please book your tickets ahead of time. You can do this online and the system now is that you book either a morning or afternoon ticket rather than the timed entry that used to be the case. We planned to visit for my birthday this year only to discover that all tickets for the week that we were in the area had been booked months ago. This wasn't at the height of the season, so book as soon as you know when you'll be visiting.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Jane, thanks so much for the warning!

I've checked online, and they seem to only provide tickets three months in advance. I've set up a reminder for three months before I expect to visit.

Again, thanks so much, it would have been so depressing if I couldn't see the gardens.

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back