• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Waymarked Camino in Barcelona

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Time of past OR future Camino
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
Yesterday, an official waymarked Camino trail was inaugurated in the city of Barcelona.

It starts at the old Port, Plaça del Portal de la Pau precisely, towards Vallcarca y Horta at the edge of the city, and so up towards the Sant Cugat del Vallès version of the Way up from Barcelona to Montserrat.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Do these tracks look like the new route? I know there are several options, but going through San Cugat seems like a no-brainer must-do!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I was following yellow arrows and wikiloc tracks for the most part. I made my own way from the beach to what looked like the first arrow just north of the velodrome in La Horta. I saw the same strange tree so I assume we coincided to Cugat. We vary from there. I ended up at the fork in Terrassa's Y shaped park where I went off camino to take a train back to a BnB in Cugat. There is now an albergue at one of the Y's upper branches. Stage 3 looks different from my walk.

Do these tracks look like the new route? I know there are several options, but going through San Cugat seems like a no-brainer must-do!

It's this one -- from the edge of the city, I think the waymarks were already down.

The waymarks inaugurated now are ones inside the city itself, not up into the hills and so on.

My reading of the article is that they have now way marked the route in the city of Barcelona. When I walked a couple of years ago, I only saw one way marking in Barcelona. the newly marked route does take you up to Horta which would lead to San Cugat.

The question most walkers will face is which path to take just before the rail station in Les Fonts. Do they decide to go through Ullastrell and Olesa de Montserrat using the albergue in Ullastrel, or through Terrassa using the albergue there. Having walked both, I much prefer the route through Terrassa.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
FWIW I've walked once from Barcelona to Valldoreix (and back) -- but many times in childhood from Valldoreix to Sant Cugat, and a couple of times the other way.

And, unknowingly, also many times on a tiny portion of the Camino up out from Valldoreix, before I ever knew there was any such thing. We used to walk up through the then countryside (now urbanised) past the waterfall to the old convent, which is exactly the route (now much altered) of the variant via Valldoreix (waymarked).

1973 or thereabouts, though the walk up there from Barcelona would have been late 80s early 90s.

Though my first solo walk on any part of any Camino, just as unknowing, would have been in 1966 I think, 20 months old or thereabouts, at some variant starting point of the Sureste, when I escaped from the holiday home there to make my way to the beach. A revés, even back then !! 👈

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My reading of the article is that they have now way marked the route in the city of Barcelona. When I walked a couple of years ago, I only saw one way marking in Barcelona. the newly marked route does take you up to Horta which would lead to San Cugat.

The question most walkers will face is which path to take just before the rail station in Les Fonts. Do they decide to go through Ullastrell and Olesa de Montserrat using the albergue in Ullastrel, or through Terrassa using the albergue there. Having walked both, I much prefer the route through Terrassa
I stayed in Les Fonts my first night. As there were no albergues before Monserrat when I walked, I was lucky enough to stay at the house of a pilgrim contact of Laurie who put me up for the night. The new albergue in Ullastrel opened up the day after I passed through.

We walked from the beach in Barceloneta through the city and up through San cugat to Terrassa - we stayed at an Airbnb run by Anna and Barto who are the nicest people you could meet - I highly recommend this option - they made us dinner and she got up to make us breakfast and a packed lunch - great kind folks!

There were no arrows through Barcelona but you can’t go wrong walking anywhere through that beautiful city!

I think you then walk the GR96 up Montserrat which is steep but only a couple of hours!

A few spots were not marked that well but definitely good enough with a little effort!

Was an amazing walk from Barcelona!

Attachments

• 9D1B1AA8-D4B1-4147-9510-FC4E58FDD979.jpeg
    9D1B1AA8-D4B1-4147-9510-FC4E58FDD979.jpeg
    559.8 KB · Views: 21
  • D55CB056-314B-40BD-B383-A946E4E953EF.jpeg
    D55CB056-314B-40BD-B383-A946E4E953EF.jpeg
    798.9 KB · Views: 19
I think you then walk the GR96 up Montserrat which is steep but only a couple of hours!
I'm curious which GR I ended up on as I I made a wrong turn somewhere during the climb. The 5 km up to Monserrat was tough, especially since I had already walked about 30 km. It is for sure tougher than any other climb I've made since, the Primitivo and San Salvador included.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think it was the GR96 the whole way up from the bottom - I’ve attached pics from the trailhead - the GR96 is the steeper option I think and yes was a very tough end to the day - I don’t believe any part of me was dry :)

The Catalan and the inveirno have much tougher stages than the primitivo which I thought was quite easy - I don’t know why it’s the benchmark for challenging stages?

Attachments

• EF944934-B9FE-49A6-8A3C-D35D1E197632.jpeg
    EF944934-B9FE-49A6-8A3C-D35D1E197632.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 937B79A9-522B-4174-BAEE-5ACEBC7C5B44.jpeg
    937B79A9-522B-4174-BAEE-5ACEBC7C5B44.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • 4937AA61-6CEF-49F9-8433-EF42CED24A5D.jpeg
    4937AA61-6CEF-49F9-8433-EF42CED24A5D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 238F7303-593E-4E00-AFEB-B031FBE5B70E.jpeg
    238F7303-593E-4E00-AFEB-B031FBE5B70E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
Below is a screenshot from the OSMand app. From Monistrol de Montserrat I took the GR trail up marked as 5 and 96 (generally heading south) but must have continued on the camino marked with the blue line and yellow shells at the fork as I had a lot of stairs to climb and they show up on the blue marked camino as red lines.

Icons on the bottom are covering the trail to the monastery from the south. This GR trail is marked as 5, 6 and 172.

Screenshot_20211127-141953.png

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yesterday, an official waymarked Camino trail was inaugurated in the city of Barcelona.

It starts at the old Port, Plaça del Portal de la Pau precisely, towards Vallcarca y Horta at the edge of the city, and so up towards the Sant Cugat del Vallès version of the Way up from Barcelona to Montserrat.
Having lived in Vallcarca until very recently, I can't help but wonder if the new markings within Barcelona city had previously existed. Now and again on our walks through the city we would encounter obvious signs of a Camino route including a couple of those all-familiar Camino shells embedded in the sidewalks of Vallcarca. Interesting to note that the markings have now been expanded and that it has been officially recognised as part of the Camino.

Thanks for your post. The unveiling also featured in La Vanguardia, a Barcelona based newspaper :

Screen Shot 2021-11-28 at 12.49.53.png

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back