• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Waymarking from Coimbra to Porto?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Starting in Coimbra?
Do not know how long your stages are but some tips
Just 3 kms after Mealhada is along the mainroad-the caminho follows that road btw- the IC2 - in the village of Serdanello the hotel/albergue Hilário. They rent rooms for pilgrims, very comfortable and they serve a special dish from the area , Leitão . A meatdish from roasted pig. Very tasty.
From there it is about 20 kms to Agueda. When we where there, the albergue was closed so had to continue to a hotel 3 km further on . Was a piece of cake downhill but there was nothing to eat so we had to go back uphill to the town and after that another 3 kms back . Later we heard there was a deliveryservice from a restaurant. Nobody told us.
Next place is Albergaría-a-Velha. Not very spectacular. So continue your way about 2 kms out of the village and at the right side is a big Maria statue. To the right you can climb on a steep hill and on top is a kind of monastery retraîte home where nuns live. There you can sleep in rooms with bunkbeds and get a meal and breakfast for a few euros. Nice experience it was. Highly recommended .leaving next day you will arrive soon at dirtpaths. Hope it will not be raining as it did when we were there
You end up in Oliveira de Azemeis . There is a big hotel and some rooms to rent. The one we rented was horrible , filthy . We pushed the thoughts about it away.
Next will be São João da Madeira. On the main square in the center is a nice hotel to stay and restaurants all around. Nice place.
Your next stay can be Grijó where nowadays is an albergue. When we were there the option was to take the bus into Porto -you avoid walking along busy roads through the suburbs of Porto . The Grijó albergue is a good alternative anyway now.

Bom caminho

Last edited:
Way markings are very clear from Coimbra to Porto. Occasionally have to stop and look around at crossroads, just to be sure which way the arrows are pointing, but no real issues along that stretch. Walked this in Sept, 2018, and had no problems finding places to stay each evening. We were walking 30-40km per day, so that increased our options, as it put us off the common guidebook recommended stopping places.

Do not know how long your stages are but some tips
Just 3 kms after Mealhada is along the mainroad-the caminho follows that road btw- the IC2 - in the village of Serdanello the hotel/albergue Hilário. They rent rooms for pilgrims, very comfortable and they serve a special dish from the area , Leitão . A meatdish from roasted pig. Very tasty.
From there it is about 20 kms to Agueda. When we where there, the albergue was closed so had to continue to a hotel 3 km further on . Was a piece of cake downhill but there was nothing to eat so we had to go back uphill to the town and after that another 3 kms back . Later we heard there was a deliveryservice from a restaurant. Nobody told us.
Next place is Albergaría-a-Velha. Not very spectacular. So continue your way about 2 kms out of the village and at the right side is a big Maria statue. To the right you can climb on a steep hill and on top is a kind of monastery retraîte home where nuns live. There you can sleep in rooms with bunkbeds and get a meal and breakfast for a few euros. Nice experience it was. Highly recommended .leaving next day you will arrive soon at dirtpaths. Hope it will not be raining as it did when we were there
You end up in Oliveira de Azemeis . There is a big hotel and some rooms to rent. The one we rented was horrible , filthy . We pushed the thoughts about it away.
Next will be São João da Madeira. On the main square in the center is a nice hotel to stay and restaurants all around. Nice place.
Your next stay can be Grijó where nowadays is an albergue. When we were there the option was to take the bus into Porto -you avoid walking along busy roads through the suburbs of Porto . The Grijó albergue is a good alternative anyway now.

Bom caminho
Thank you Albertinho.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Way markings are very clear from Coimbra to Porto. Occasionally have to stop and look around at crossroads, just to be sure which way the arrows are pointing, but no real issues along that stretch. Walked this in Sept, 2018, and had no problems finding places to stay each evening. We were walking 30-40km per day, so that increased our options, as it put us off the common guidebook recommended stopping places.
Many thanks Rex, and walking 30-40km per day is what I usually do.

Starting in Coimbra?

Go for it! I actually got a little confused walking out of Coimbra, the arrows were hard to find (August 2018). I’d say that from Coimbra onwards is very pretty and very well marked.

Good luck and enjoy.

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back