• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Waymarking on El Norte ???

How's the waymarking along El Norte?

• Good

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Medium to Stinky

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

harrycerino

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2013
Hello Everybody: My wife and I are planning El Norte for June 2015 and are wondering about the waymarking along the route. We did the Frances from SJPP to Santiago in 2014 and, like most, navigated easily without paying much attention. I’m aware El Norte signage is considerably more sparse although I suspect it’s been improved recently over the cautions in the guide books. I have the 3 CoSJ guides, the Cicerone 2012 Whitson & Perazzoli book, and a Basque “Northern Caminos” guide I was given in San Sebastian last year. We are thinking of just taking the Cicerone and letting the “Force” guide us along the way. Do you Norte veterans think that’s sufficient? I guess most Medieval pilgrims traveled without GPS devices, right?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Its anywhere between good to patchy, just like most Camino's. When I walked it in 2010 I had a few problems with directions, in 2012 it seemed Ok, that could be me gaining more experience or actual better way marking.
There has been updated versions of the Cicerone 2012 book, I saw one in an Oviedo bookshop last summer which had autumn 2013 reprint.
Buen Camino

We took the CSJ guides and wrote in the extras from the Cicerone. There are often temporary diversions, or some re-routing, due to road works so following the arrows and 'desvio' signs is important too. If you find major alterations then do let CSJ and David (Cicerone author and on this forum) have the details. Then they can update for those who walk later.
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first hospitalero in Irun told me the Del Norte is a more demanding camino compared to the Frances.
More demanding in a physical way: up and down, up and down.
More demanding in a social way: You more likely have to ask the 'locals' where to walk.

In my memory the markings were OK. Only a few times I choose a wrong direction, sometimes markings are changed or repainted, some farmers possibly didn't like the proposed route.
And on some occasions the camino spurs to churches inland, while the GrandeRoute follows more or less the beach.

Hello Everybody: My wife and I are planning El Norte for June 2015 and are wondering about the waymarking along the route. We did the Frances from SJPP to Santiago in 2014 and, like most, navigated easily without paying much attention. I’m aware El Norte signage is considerably more sparse although I suspect it’s been improved recently over the cautions in the guide books. I have the 3 CoSJ guides, the Cicerone 2012 Whitson & Perazzoli book, and a Basque “Northern Caminos” guide I was given in San Sebastian last year. We are thinking of just taking the Cicerone and letting the “Force” guide us along the way. Do you Norte veterans think that’s sufficient? I guess most Medieval pilgrims traveled without GPS devices, right?
my wife and I did the Northern route to Oviedo and from Oviedo to Santiago on the Primitivo Sept/Oct 2014 and found the waymarking ok .

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Use what ever book you are comfortable with but don't sell the local tourist office short.
They have up to date accommodation and local maps .
The Norte is very easy to follow and our only problems occurred when coming across road works...buts thats a few years ago now.
Don't go inland if you can follow the coast and the E9
The Frances is like walking down Manhatten .....you can't get lost unless you are having a yap and/or you are first out on the path for the day.

The latest editions of the guides give the E9 coastal route as the main route now in many places. Some of it is now the only route due to road works etc. Between Pendueles and Llanes the well signed route now passes the 'bufone' (water spout) which can be seen when the tide and winds are right, and needs passing then with care. We saw the twin spouts near La Franca but not the big one on the path as the tide was out.

I took the CSJ guide and the cicerone guide in 2013. I found the CSJ guide indecipherable (I'm a simple soul) The maps in the cicerone guide were very helpful. I got lost about 10 times but that's pretty good going for me. Getting lost is all part of it although it can get pretty tedious when it happens every other day.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I found the way marking satisfactory if you were staying on the standard recommend route, however, if you ventured to the alternative routes it was a little more challenging. I found this especially true on the Alpinist route on the first day.

As a follow up, I feel that when someone says that way marking or even degree of difficulty was easy, it is important to ask them more questions, such as "were you traveling in a group so that you had an extra set of eyes, did you have gps or mapping support, was this your second time around, are you naturally directionally gifted, etc, etc. I have had guidance that a route was easy only to find that they bused half of it and had their pack sent ahead. Not criticizing anyone who does that, but it can mislead someone who was trying to get an accurate assessment.

As a follow up, I feel that when someone says that way marking or even degree of difficulty was easy, it is important to ask them more questions, such as "were you traveling in a group so that you had an extra set of eyes, did you have gps or mapping support, was this your second time around, are you naturally directionally gifted, etc, etc. I have had guidance that a route was easy only to find that they bused half of it and had their pack sent ahead. Not criticizing anyone who does that, but it can mislead someone who was trying to get an accurate assessment.

The only camino path we have found difficult Rickster is the way from Mont St Michel.
There are very small blue and yellow signs and when you actually commence nobody in the town of Mont St Michel can tell you where the path is.
We are 65 , we walk slow, try not to exceed more than 20-22km a day , never walk in organised groups , her majesty is bad enough and would not have a GPS in a car let alone an app . We only use MMDD but on the Norte we used the German outdoor book.
*We always stop early for a late lunch and during the afternoon whilst trying the different bars etc in the towns or villages actually follow the arrows out of town.
Many a time we have found a bakery on the out skirts doing this which makes life easy in the morning.
Maybe the word " easy " was wrong but at no time was it difficult.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thornily, I have talked with several who have done the way from Mont St Michel who thought that it was quite easy, so again, it depends on a lot of factors. For me, one day that stands out that I would have classified as really "difficult " was the first day on the "Alpinist" route of the del Norte. After several kilometers, I decided to take an alternative route, which was not bad for much of the route, however, I got lost 3 times, finding the way marking lacking, never passed through a town or found a place for water, which was probably due to my lack of research, so I found myself having no food for the 11 hour trek and ran out of water with four hours to go and became on the verge of dehydration. The last 2 1/2 hours were the toughest as the trail was very narrow on the crest of the mountain and if you were not alert, there were steep drop offs to the valley on the left and to the sea on the right. This did not bode well for someone who is someone afraid of heights. Realizing the difficulty in several places a cable was tacked to rocks to hold on to help with anyone having difficulty. Unfortunately, I only came across a few pilgrims and mostly day packers with tiny packs or no packs at all. That also created some anxiety. Upon arriving at my destination, I collapsed, almost ready to give up on my camino after the first day. To me that was a difficult day and route. I talked with several others who had taken different routes, passed through towns, found water and had no problems. I have walked several caminos in France, Spain and Portugal and have never before had quite that experience. I might mention that I was not in as good a shape as I have been on previous caminos, so that was probably at least a small factor. Sorry for the rambling, but the point that I am trying to make is that there are many factors that go into how difficult or easy a given "route" might be. What's difficult for one may be very easy for someone else for any number of different reasons as is the case with the way out of Mont St Michel.

Thornily, I have talked with several who have done the way from Mont St Michel who thought that it was quite easy, so again, it depends on a lot of factors. For me, one day that stands out that I would have classified as really "difficult " was the first day on the "Alpinist" route of the del Norte. After several kilometers, I decided to take an alternative route, which was not bad for much of the route, however, I got lost 3 times, finding the way marking lacking, never passed through a town or found a place for water, which was probably due to my lack of research, so I found myself having no food for the 11 hour trek and ran out of water with four hours to go and became on the verge of dehydration. The last 2 1/2 hours were the toughest as the trail was very narrow on the crest of the mountain and if you were not alert, there were steep drop offs to the valley on the left and to the sea on the right. This did not bode well for someone who is someone afraid of heights. Realizing the difficulty in several places a cable was tacked to rocks to hold on to help with anyone having difficulty. Unfortunately, I only came across a few pilgrims and mostly day packers with tiny packs or no packs at all. That also created some anxiety. Upon arriving at my destination, I collapsed, almost ready to give up on my camino after the first day. To me that was a difficult day and route. I talked with several others who had taken different routes, passed through towns, found water and had no problems. I have walked several caminos in France, Spain and Portugal and have never before had quite that experience. I might mention that I was not in as good a shape as I have been on previous caminos, so that was probably at least a small factor. Sorry for the rambling, but the point that I am trying to make is that there are many factors that go into how difficult or easy a given "route" might be. What's difficult for one may be very easy for someone else for any number of different reasons as is the case with the way out of Mont St Michel.

Hi rickster,
Keep rambling as its enlightening and will bring back memories to a few.

There are 2 ways from Mont St Michel,
1/To Rennes and the coast
2/To St James , Vitre etc inland.
We chose inland and thats where the problem started.
The coastal path was beside the causeway , lovely gravel path , 4 metres wide and signs on lamp posts.
The inland way was amongst a construction site , the path was moved and the grass was a metre high , no hope of seeing the way.
For the first 300km [ **thats Burgos on the Frances] we met ***6 pilgrims*** , all heading to Mont St Michel ***none going our way and in late april early may you must remember we were in Brittany and that means H2O , often and heavy.
The signs were hard to find and there was no relevant GR to assist.

I concur about the first days of the Norte .
To overcome that section we walked from Biarritz and took 2 days before the normal start.
We stopped at Hondarribia and then again at Pasajas San Juan before San Sebastian.
These were short days because of the terrain you mentioned and we believe in always commencing with short days as damage is always done at the start.

**I have a big desire to walk the Frances only using the touristo information and taking 40-45 days.
But Her Majesty just shakes her head.

The only time i was worried about heights and terrain came on the Le Puy way.
Just out of Monistrol -D'Allier [ 2nd day] there is a climb of 400m [ 600m to 1000m ] in 3km. You are beside the cliff overlooking the river before you reach the Chapelle of Madeleine , path is half a metre wide and its dangerous , especially if wet.
You would be mad to attempt late in the day or in heavy rain.
On reaching the Chapelle you are given access to a rope hand rail and rough ad hoc concrete steps , as the path is now a water way to the river from the mountain top.

Hello Everybody: My wife and I are planning El Norte for June 2015 and are wondering about the waymarking along the route. We did the Frances from SJPP to Santiago in 2014 and, like most, navigated easily without paying much attention. I’m aware El Norte signage is considerably more sparse although I suspect it’s been improved recently over the cautions in the guide books. I have the 3 CoSJ guides, the Cicerone 2012 Whitson & Perazzoli book, and a Basque “Northern Caminos” guide I was given in San Sebastian last year. We are thinking of just taking the Cicerone and letting the “Forcelk” guide us along the way. Do you Norte veterans think that’s sufficient? I guess most Medieval pilgrims traveled without GPS devices, right?
I walked the Norte in June last year. Waymarkings are just as good as the Francis. You only need to be cautious entering/leaving some towns where the signs can be confusing. I also used the Norther camino guidebook by David, mainly for accommodation and route planning. When i walk, relied solely on the waymarkings and sometimes the locals. YES David Whitson's guidebook should be sufficient.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I just pre-ordered the newest "The Northern Caminos: The Caminos Norte, Primitivo and Ingles" Publisher Cicerone Press. I think the book comes available in a couple days. While I have not been able to see it yet; I have been happy with some of their other other hiking books.

I just pre-ordered the newest "The Northern Caminos: The Caminos Norte, Primitivo and Ingles" Publisher Cicerone Press. I think the book comes available in a couple days. While I have not been able to see it yet; I have been happy with some of their other other hiking books.
I used the 2013 edition in my walk last summer. Incorporating the elevation profiles into each stage will make this guide even better. It provided only total elevation gain of each stage. Overall, it is an excellent guide. Hope the 2015 edition contain useful additions.

Hi Raj,
The elevation profiles have been available on Mundicamino website.
There are 32 stages to join the Frances. Each stage has a Line/Outline section as well as towns, accommodation etc
30% of the stages are flat so we just printed this outline section.
It also has distances between each town or peak. This allowed us to shorten some sections when the rain came .

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Raj,
The elevation profiles have been available on Mundicamino website.
There are 32 stages to join the Frances. Each stage has a Line/Outline section as well as towns, accommodation etc
30% of the stages are flat so we just printed this outline section.
It also has distances between each town or peak. This allowed us to shorten some sections when the rain came .
Hi Thornly, Yes this guide is excellent for staging/accommodation/maps etc. However, I found myself going to other sources for elevation profiles, specially on Norte with constant ups/downs throughout the trail. This guide would be more complete if they can incorporate the elevation profiles into each stage, as most other Camino guides do. IMHO all they have to do is use a format similar to the popular John Brierly's guides. Keep the width but extend the length. Easier said than done right.

Hi Thornly, Yes this guide is excellent for staging/accommodation/maps etc. However, I found myself going to other sources for elevation profiles, specially on Norte with constant ups/downs throughout the trail. This guide would be more complete if they can incorporate the elevation profiles into each stage, as most other Camino guides do. IMHO all they have to do is use a format similar to the popular John Brierly's guides. Keep the width but extend the length. Easier said than done right.

Hi Raj,
Not sure if you are correct mate,
example Mundicamino
The Way of the North, stage 2

Under Sections;
1 San Seb to Igueldo * 5km
2 Igueldo to Orios ** 9km
3 Orios to Zarautz *** 6km total 20km

Under Outline;
1 San Seb commences at sea level and climbs in the first section * 5km to 247m at Igueldo
2 From Igueldo climb continues to 353m gradually over **4km and then descends sharply to sea level at Orio in the next **5km
3 From Orio at sea level the firs t*** 3 km is flat , the next ***3 km rises to 100m and then back to sea level at Zarautz.

Total 20km

All we do is print the stages where there are hills and after each day discard.
As i said there would be only 16-20 pages showing the outline as the rest is flat or no problems.
Mundicamino is website that helps you plan your stages which supplies information for the stages.
Everything is thee except the up to date albergues etc in the last year or so.

Hi Raj,
Not sure if you are correct mate,
example Mundicamino
The Way of the North, stage 2

Under Sections;
1 San Seb to Igueldo * 5km
2 Igueldo to Orios ** 9km
3 Orios to Zarautz *** 6km total 20km

Hi Thornley, I AGREE that guides like Mundicamino contains all relevant information. My point is about the Cicerone's Nothern Camino guide (2013 edition) MISSING a basic elevation profiles info in an easily readable form. One has to read the entire stage and decipher that info. For example, take a look at this Municamino stage20, it captures the elevation and Albergue info on a simple stage map.20_perfil.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The only trouble I had on the del Norte was out of Ribadesella, where a local ruta verde uses yellow arrow markings. After a climb into the hills about the town, I found myself quite lost and was guided back by a local woman who told me that there had been several complaints to the council as nobody took any pleasure in seeing pilgrims get lost (and in my case, in steady rain) but the council seemed incapable of changing the signs. Above advice to use the local tourism offices is excellent- normally, I would visit them, and have them mark the exit on a street map so that I would not lose my way in the early morning. I found turismo staff friendly and helpful, and almost all of them had staff fluent in English or in French. I would also suggest that pilgrims keep an eye open for the fork which takes one from the del Norte to the Primitivo via Oviedo.

For the Brittany part of this thread, I took the route along the river just across from Mont Saint Michel and had no trouble until Sens de Bretagne.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back