• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Waymarking

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
There has been some concern about the state of waymarking on the Camino Ingles in recent years. Part of the route have changed due to road working and in many places the yellow arrows had faded badly.

In preparation for the Holy Year next year there has been extensive marking with new granite waymarks. Although there are one or two spots only where sympathetic yellow arrows would help the route is now very well waymarked.

Hopefully in this pic you can see the faded arrow under the new waymark on the way out of Betanzos.

Attachments

• Waymark.JPG
    Waymark.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 1,440
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi John,

Although there are one or two spots only where sympathetic yellow arrows would help the route is now very well waymarked

Some friends and I will be walking this route from Ferrol at the end of May. Are you able to confirm the couple of areas where the waymarking is not so great?

Thanks
Mig

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
JohnnieWalker said:
...Part of the route have changed due to road working and in many places the yellow arrows had faded badly.......Hopefully in this pic you can see the faded arrow under the new waymark on the way out of Betanzos...

Hi, John.

If you can, please tell me exactly where you have found this problem and, more important, if it has been due any construction, road working, or something similar, to try to see if it's possible to improve this waymarking.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

We just finished walking the Camino de Madrid followed by the Camino Ingles. These were our third and fourth caminos so we are pretty good at finding and following the waymarking. However, we did get lost three separate times on the Camino Ingles. The waymarking is sometimes absent, too faint to make out, confused with strange yellow arrows that the Camino Real is using or contrary to the guide. Can't bring up just where these spots are right now as we just got back yesterday, but will check in my journal if anyone is interested in details.
Peace.
lynne

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
He Lynne

I'd appreciate your notes and also anything you have on the Madrid Route. I'm doing an update of the Camino Ingles guide for the Holy Year and also hopefully a new Guide to the Camino Ingles.

I must say I'm surprised at your experience on the Camino Ingles - I walked it just a few weeks ago and I thought the waymarking was greatly improved. But I'm now very familiar with it.

All comments welcome!

Regards

John

John, I too was surprised at becoming lost, because your guide notes were very thorough.. in any case the getting getting lost part is not usually such a big deal, but this time it was so hot the asphalt on the roads was melting and sticking to our boots! Just made it seem worse. We never met another peregrino on this route, however we do love the solitude of the lesser-walked routes, just as we like meeting other peregrinos on the CF.

I am back in Canada but not in my home town yet, so when I get organized, I'll go through my notes and send you whatever I have..

Peace,
lynne

Johnnie, the way markings were a little confusing around Neda (green arrows, luminous yello arrows, blue arrows) but once ón the way´we haven´t had any problems following the waymarks. They are really very good. We got lost coming out of Betanzos because of a new construction site at the end of the Rollo road (I think that´s why we got lost!) but other than that, the shells, tiles, stele, flechas are everywhere and its quite hard to get lost.
I´ll let you know how it goes walking into Santiago tomorrow!
Sil

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there. I’m thinking of spending around five to seven days walking the Ingles, and would be interested in getting some input. I’ve walked the Portuges from Porto to Santiago, before continuing...
So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Howdy folks I am looking forward to doing the St. James Way in England and considering continuing on with the es Camino INGLES. Can anyone share suggestion or have experience with transportation...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.