• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ways out of Porto, public transportation

Rainerbernd

Time of past OR future Camino
On St James ways since 1971
Olá,

Many pilgrims like to start their way per pedes apostolorum at the cathedral in Porto. Others are in a hurry or like it a bit more convenient. Therefore some options to get out of Porto in an easy way.

by metro: lines at:http://www.metrodoporto.pt/pages/396
green line Ismai to Fórum Maia for Caminho Central > Vairão > Vilarinho > Rates...
red line Póvoa de Varzim to Vilar do Pinheiro for Caminho Central > Vilarinho > Rates...
blue line Senhor de Matosinhos to Matosinhos Mercado for Caminho da Costa > Matosinhos >
Angeiras > Vila do Conde...

by bus: lines at:http://www.stcp.pt/en/travel/lines/
bus 200 Castelo do Queijo from Rua do Carmo to Castelo do Queijo* for Caminho da Costa >
Matosinhos > Angeiras > Vila do Conde...
bus 500 Matosinhos Mercado from São Bento station to Senhora da Luz for Caminho da
Costa > Castelo da Foz > along the rocky coast to Matosinhos > Angeiras > Vila do Conde...

by tram:
historical tram number 1 Passeio Alegre from Infante to Passeio Alegre for Caminho da
Costa > Castelo da Foz > along the rocky coast to Matosinhos ...

Castelo do Queijo* is in maps also as Forte de São Francisco Xavier.

That´s all for the moment. Bom caminho, Rainer

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have an even better one; follow the river Douro down to the sea, a beautiful walk, and when you arrive in the beach, just turn right to the North all the way to Matosinhos. Beautiful walk.

I have an even better one; follow the river Douro down to the sea, a beautiful walk, and when you arrive in the beach, just turn right to the North all the way to Matosinhos. Beautiful walk.

Yes, its a beautiful way, but not along Rua do Ouro. Living in Angeiras I have done it very often. As I wrote many pilgrims start their way at the cathedral per pedes apostolorum. They go down to Cais da Ribeira and then along the Douro. Claro, there are many other ways - my intention was to write about how to get out of Porto in an easy way by public transportation.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, its a beautiful way, but not along Rua do Ouro. .
I see what you mean. I remember going down very steep lanes, near the majestic bridge, that must be Cais da Ribeiran, then just simply follow the river all the way down to the sea, by Rua do Ouro. Is there a better/nicer way? I dream about going back to Porto soon, I only had a few hours there but the sensation was incredible, looking forward to going to Leixoes and have some fresh grilled fish (I will give famous francesinha a miss this time ;)). And Angeiras is a lovely little place, the camping site is great

I see what you mean. I remember going down very steep lanes, near the majestic bridge, that must be Cais da Ribeiran, then just simply follow the river all the way down to the sea, by Rua do Ouro. Is there a better/nicer way? I dream about going back to Porto soon, I only had a few hours there but the sensation was incredible, looking forward to going to Leixoes and have some fresh grilled fish (I will give famous francesinha a miss this time ;)). And Angeiras is a lovely little place, the camping site is great

Olá amancio, as written above I often take the old tram or bus 500 to get near Castelo da Foz.Then the way is beautiful. My friends and I need about 6-7 hours to get to Angeiras - so many bars and restaurants on the way. Talking about fresh fish, there are IMO only two good places, Matosinhos and Angeiras. Especially in Angeiras - only 150 m from the boat into the kitchen.

Olá amancio, as written above I often take the old tram or bus 500 to get near Castelo da Foz.Then the way is beautiful. My friends and I need about 6-7 hours to get to Angeiras - so many bars and restaurants on the way. Talking about fresh fish, there are IMO only two good places, Matosinhos and Angeiras. Especially in Angeiras - only 150 m from the boat into the kitchen.
Almost at the end of the antique tram and oppostie the ferry across the Douro river is a bar where they at times play and sing the original fado music.
Last year the owner of music shop casa da Guitarra nearby the Sé cathedral and the Eiffel bridge told us about this bar and we went there and attended a beautifull rehearsal and met many nice local people.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back