Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ways to do both Hospitales and Pola de Allande on Trip

Louis Lima

Luisito Caminante
Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to do el Camino Primitivo in May 2021 if the pandemic permits it.
Hello fellow pilgrims! I am an avid walker and would like to do both Hospitales and Pola de Allande on El Camino Primitivo in 2021. I thought perhaps I can hike from Borres to Pola de Allende and then take a taxi back to Borres. However, if I do that I would miss the Pola to Puerto de Palo experience. Another thought was to go from Borres to Lago either via Hospitales or Pola, and then take a train back to Borres... Any thoughts? I'll be trying to take May 1-17 or May 15-June 1 off work for the whole Camino Primitivo. Any thoughts highly appreciated! I heard both routes are some of the most beautiful so would like to do both. Thank you so much! :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello fellow pilgrims! I am an avid walker and would like to do both Hospitales and Pola de Allande on El Camino Primitivo in 2021. I thought perhaps I can hike from Borres to Pola de Allende and then take a taxi back to Borres. However, if I do that I would miss the Pola to Puerto de Palo experience. Another thought was to go from Borres to Lago either via Hospitales or Pola, and then take a train back to Borres... Any thoughts? I'll be trying to take May 1-17 or May 15-June 1 off work for the whole Camino Primitivo. Any thoughts highly appreciated! I heard both routes are some of the most beautiful so would like to do both. Thank you so much! :)
You can do the first day Borres - Hospitales- Puerto del Palo - Pola de Allande. The second day Pola de Allande - Borres in reverse and there call a taxi from Pola to take you to Puerto del Palo to continue to Berducedo.

Hospitales is spectacular, on a clear day and safe in fair weather; otherwise Borres to Pola is recommended. Borres to Pola is mostly tarmac unless you like steep descents, muddy bits and steep ascents back to the road you left an hour previously :rolleyes:. If you are not bothered with continuity I would walk Borres - Puerto del Palo via Hospitales, (if the weather permits), get the bus down to Pola and walk back up. The walk up from Pola is a bosky delight of greenery, flowers and tumbling water.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Hi, @Louis Lima , and welcome to the forum.

I had a similar plan a couple of years ago, but then I got to know a fabulous bunch of priimitivo peregrinos and couldn’t bear to separate myself from them. But I had found the perfect way to see both without a cab which is always my mild preference. It omits the stage from Borres to Pola (I agree with @Tincatinker ’s assessment of that stage) but takes in the two different ways to get up to Hospitales.

Good luck with this great idea! Buen camino, Laurie

Hospitales is spectacular, on a clear day and safe in fair weather; otherwise Borres to Pola is recommended. Borres to Pola is mostly tarmac unless you like steep descents, muddy bits and steep ascents back to the road you left an hour previously :rolleyes:. If you are not bothered with continuity I would walk Borres - Puerto del Palo via Hospitales, (if the weather permits), get the bus down to Pola and walk back up. The walk up from Pola is a bosky delight of greenery, flowers and tumbling water.
Thanks for the kind reply. So I can take a bus in or near Puerto del Palo back to Borres? That would work then!

Thanks for the kind reply. So I can take a bus in or near Puerto del Palo back to Borres? That would work then!
(if the weather permits), get the bus down to Pola and walk back up

I don’t think there is a bus that connects Puerto del Palo to either Borres or Pola de Allande, but @Tincatinker you may be right.

I think it’s only about 12 km from Borres up to Puerto de Palo, so walking back to Borres or down to Pola would be very do-able. The ascent is not steep at all (not like parts of the ascent from Pola up to Puerto de Palo).

Day 1 — Borres - Puerto-Borres (24);

Day 2 — Borres to Pola (a very short day, only about 13 km)

Day 3 - Pola to La Mesa (20).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There’s definitely a bus from Pola to somewhere, probably Grandas but perhaps just Berducedo, that climbs that amazing zigzag road and stops at the bar at Lago. I’ve caught it in the past. A decade ago probably. Presumably the route is reversible or there would be a great big pile of buses at the end of the road 🙂

There’s definitely a bus from Pola to somewhere, probably Grandas but perhaps just Berducedo, that climbs that amazing zigzag road and stops at the bar at Lago
Wow, you are right! I remember taking a bus from Oviedo to Pola, and my erroneous impression was that that was the only place you could get to from Pola. Here’s the schedule I found, looks like one bus a day in each direction.

Thanks, Tinca.

I wonder if it will stop if you flag it down at the Puerto de Palo. Has anyone tried that?

9ACE710E-1657-4BD8-8BA4-4CD555AF8C84.png

B43FB9AE-5527-4ED6-88A5-DB0AC2BD0D81.png

Thanks so much for all the suggestions! I’ll definitely aim for both weather permitting. I’ll let you know how it went next year. 🤗🌻🌈

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There’s definitely a bus from Pola to somewhere, probably Grandas but perhaps just Berducedo, that climbs that amazing zigzag road and stops at the bar at Lago. I’ve caught it in the past. A decade ago probably. Presumably the route is reversible or there would be a great big pile of buses at the end of the road 🙂
Unfortunately there is no bar in Lago anymore ...

I love the idea of doing Borres to Palo and walk back in reverse, and then continue via Pola the next day. Hopefully the weather will cooperate once there in early May :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I love the idea of doing Borres to Palo and walk back in reverse, and then continue via Pola the next day. Hopefully the weather will cooperate once there in early May :)
That sounds like a pre-Covid sentiment! It would seem easier to control the weather than Covid.

Indeed, will need to see what the situation is in May 2021 with respect to the pandemic...

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back