Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean

We are on the train to Le Puy

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).

TMcA

Past OR future Camino
Pamplona to Santiago (2013)
Le Puy to Pamplona in segments (2013 - 2016)
Pamplona to León
When I was there a couple of years ago there was a pilgrim mass every morning at 7AM. I am no longer "religious" (whatever that means), but I did attend the mass. After the mass the priest assembled all the pèlerins/randonneurs and blessed us. Then off we went. It was a nice way to start and I think you could meet some people who are also starting out that very morning. I'd bring your backpack because some start right after the mass.

Having said this, you might find that most of your fellow pèlerins/randonneurs are French. But you might meet some others who are not French.

Check with the tourist office in Le Puy just to be sure about this. (The website for the cathedral says that the mass is offered every morning at 7 - see link below).

Good luck.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
It is tough going at the beginning but always beautiful. Hope you know some French. I didn't. I would recommend getting the Miam Do Do guide. I think that is how it is spelled. It is easy to figure out if you can't speak French. I use a Michelin Guide and I thought it was totally inadequate. The food is amazing and yes almost everyone is older and most are French. I heard from some alot of Germans, but that was not my experience. Of course the Pilgrims are great but very little English spoken but still I have great memories.

NorthernLight

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Le Puy to Santiago via the Frances 2012-2013. EPW2015
Aragonese & Frances 2016
Burgos to Muxia 2017
Miam Miam Do Do ... (loosely translated as Yummy Yummy Sleep, according to what I was told on the chemin, and isn't that a super name!)

My advice, there is so much up and down the first couple of weeks, keep your daily km modest to start with.

If you are going all the way to Santiago, after the separate pilgrim blessing after the mass in Le Puy, the priest will invite you to take one or two letters of prayer with you, to deposit at the tomb in SDC. These are letters of prayer written by the faithful, in multiple languages.

Jun Meng

The Only Way I know
Past OR future Camino
Camino Le Puy
When I was there a couple of years ago there was a pilgrim mass every morning at 7AM. I am no longer "religious" (whatever that means), but I did attend the mass. After the mass the priest assembled all the pèlerins/randonneurs and blessed us. Then off we went. It was a nice way to start and I think you could meet some people who are also starting out that very morning. I'd bring your backpack because some start right after the mass.

Having said this, you might find that most of your fellow pèlerins/randonneurs are French. But you might meet some others who are not French.

Check with the tourist office in Le Puy just to be sure about this. (The website for the cathedral says that the mass is offered every morning at 7 - see link below).

Good luck.

Thanks. We found the trail and going to the mass tomorrow

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
The most selling Camino Guide is shipping November 1st. Get your today and start planning.

Jun Meng

The Only Way I know
Past OR future Camino
Camino Le Puy
It is tough going at the beginning but always beautiful. Hope you know some French. I didn't. I would recommend getting the Miam Do Do guide. I think that is how it is spelled. It is easy to figure out if you can't speak French. I use a Michelin Guide and I thought it was totally inadequate. The food is amazing and yes almost everyone is older and most are French. I heard from some alot of Germans, but that was not my experience. Of course the Pilgrims are great but very little English spoken but still I have great memories.
Thanks. We have our Dutch book and also internet. We met people in the Gita and yes most of them are French but we can always talk with gestures. Thanks.

Jun Meng

The Only Way I know
Past OR future Camino
Camino Le Puy
Miam Miam Do Do ... (loosely translated as Yummy Yummy Sleep, according to what I was told on the chemin, and isn't that a super name!)

My advice, there is so much up and down the first couple of weeks, keep your daily km modest to start with.

If you are going all the way to Santiago, after the separate pilgrim blessing after the mass in Le Puy, the priest will invite you to take one or two letters of prayer with you, to deposit at the tomb in SDC. These are letters of prayer written by the faithful, in multiple languages.
Thanks for the advice

Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
John Brierley 2022 Camino Guide
The most selling Camino Guide is shipping November 1st. Get your today and start planning.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads