• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

We are the sum of our experiences.

Al the optimist

Veteran Member
I have long held that we are the sum of our experiences, good or bad. That if we wish any of them had not happened the way they did we fail to realise how each experience has helped make us who we are. Yes we may have behaved badly, done things wrong or whatever. Yes things outside our control have happened to us. Yes we may wish we had done differently or that different things had happened in our lives. Yes we may regret some of our thoughts and actions. But we are shaped by each and every experience. Many start their Caminos with a specific hope. That hope may be realised or maybe supplemented or replaced by something else along the way. In any event the Camino will be in it's own way yet another experience to shape us, hopefully in a way that helps us understand ourselves and others better. Whatever our aim is, whether it is to improve our conversation with god or something else, then the opportunity is there in abundance. May your journey on the Camino help you accept and appreciate yourself and others as you and they are.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
"In any event the Camino will be in it's own way yet another experience to shape us, hopefully in a way that helps us understand ourselves and others better."

One year (almost!) out I'm beginning to believe that it's what the Camino gives to each of us which is far more important than what we strive to find on it.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Like the song pilgrim says:
"We cannot change what's over but only where we go"
The camino puts the open heart and mind onto a beautiful road of discovery don't you think? One with new experiences to meet and recognise other people with" pilgrim hearts"each day of our lives

One year (almost!) out I'm beginning to believe that it's what the Camino gives to each of us which is far more important that what we strive to find on it.

So true. Every time I have walked a Camino it has surprised me.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On my last one I went with the knowledge that I rather be doing nothing else and that the troubles I had on my two previous ones came from me not being content with the moment ie.why did I do that, etc etc. My task in the last one was to spot those negative thoughts, acknowledge them and then get on with it. Its given me something to think about with my life back from the Camino, I had an Incredible time from Start to Finish and I am not saying that in the aftermath of the glow of Santiago,it was also very difficult physically as well, but I knew I was feeling content most moments,it has surprised me how a directed mind could bring such a great Camino, I think I was of a belief prior to that of trying to bring as much happiness or pleasure out of each situation rather than sit back and let them unfold more naturally and having this newer atitude also cleared away a lot of unnecessary thinking.

Now to translate it back to my wider life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Can someone please describe the difference between the Wise Pilgrim print edition, the kindle edition, and the app for the Camino Primitivo? I mean up-to-date info, ease of use, etc. If I got the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back