• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

We can't get hold of the Orrison

Julia Mumford

Adventure Geek
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)
Camino Ingles (2018)
We leave for our first Camino on 27th May, and start out journey from St Jean on 28th.

I am walking with my 13 year old daughter, therefore I really wanted to make sure that we had our first night booked up at the Orrison. But I can't seem to book, which is now starting to worry me, as I really don't want to do that very long walk uphill all the way to the next town!

• I emailed 3 weeks ago - no reply.
  • I phoned them on Sunday - and was told that they could not take bookings over the phone and please email or apply via the online form.
  • I completed the online form and also emailed them - no response
I understand that they only have 18 beds - what will I do if I can't get a bed for the night? I am not keen on sleeping outside on our very first night on the Camino, especially with my young daughter.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We leave for our first Camino on 27th May, and start out journey from St Jean on 28th.

I am walking with my 13 year old daughter, therefore I really wanted to make sure that we had our first night booked up at the Orrison. But I can't seem to book, which is now starting to worry me, as I really don't want to do that very long walk uphill all the way to the next town!

• I phoned them on Sunday - and was told that they could not take bookings over the phone and please email or apply via the online form.
I understand that they only have 18 beds - what will I do if I can't get a bed for the night? I am not keen on sleeping outside on our very first night on the Camino, especially with my young daughter.

Thank you

I filled out the online form and had a response within a few days. Maybe you should try it again

My advice would be not to stop at Orisson but, like most pilgrims, keep going to Roncesvalles. The average time to do it is between 6 and 7 hours. The ascent gradient is easy and likewise the descent to Roncesvalles. I don't get the obsession that many people on this forum have with staying in Orisson. It's a pleasant enough place to stop for breakfast but its only about 1.5 to 2 hours out of St Jean so unless you leave St. Jean fairly late you will have a very long day to put down in Orisson (assuming they will confirm your reservation). Staying in Orisson would make sense if your intention was to walk directly there from the train when you arrive in St Jean which would probably be late afternoon. However, if you already have accommodation booked in St Jean on the night of the 27th then forget Orisson and walk directly to Roncesvalles the next day.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My advice would be not to stop at Orisson but, like most pilgrims, keep going to Roncesvalles. The average time to do it is between 6 and 7 hours. The ascent gradient is easy and likewise the descent to Roncesvalles. I don't get the obsession that many people on this forum have with staying in Orisson. It's a pleasant enough place to stop for breakfast but its only about 1.5 to 2 hours out of St Jean so unless you leave St. Jean fairly late you will have a very long day to put down in Orisson (assuming they will confirm your reservation). Staying in Orisson would make sense if your intention was to walk directly there from the train when you arrive in St Jean which would probably be late afternoon. However, if you already have accommodation booked in St Jean on the night of the 27th then forget Orisson and walk directly to Roncesvalles the next day.
I will be spending the night at Corazon Puro the night before I start, so I won't already be in St Jean, meaning that I will be getting a later start than many.

Clearly individuals have quite different perception on how difficult crossing the Pyrenees might be. I doubt that most pilgrims could walk from SJPP to Roncesvalles in less than the 6-7 hours @John Finn suggests is the average. I started Route Valcarlos with two people I learned were quite fast walkers and it took them longer than that on a route that is perhaps half a kilometre shorter and with less climb. I was slower and took about nine hours. As for the assessment that it is an easy climb, the most I can do locally is about 700 metres of climb in about 7 km - about half of what one needs to achieve crossing the Pyrenees. In my books, that is a hard climb - not technically difficult, just demanding.

Of course, I am in favour of people not wanting to stay at Orrison - it improves the chance that I will be able to stay there when I next walk. Like @trecile, I don't plan to be starting from SJPP early, and do plan to stop there overnight.

Thank you

We get frequent complaints on this forum about Orisson not responding in a timely manner.

a. There are frequent stories of how the owner is busier than a one-armed paper hanger. By all anecdotal accounts, He will reliably get back to you within reasonable time of dates of travel. Sending multiple e-mails merely confuses the issue.

b. If you cannot get a bed you will likely know this before you start.

c. There is nothing we can do about the seeming lack of response; we do not have an 'in' with the owner.

Options include:

d. Express Bourricot will pick you up from Orisson to SJPdP by prearrangement and deliver you there again in the morning.

e. The owner of Orisson will call a taxi for you if you haven't made other arrangements.

f. The walk from SJPdP to Roncesvalles is not to be underestimated but many people do it in about 9 hours. The main factor is that you get to Roncesvalles before dark.

g. You might want to consider the Valcarlos route.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Julia and daughter,
I walked with my 13 yo son last Spring (see photo with him playing with the cat at Marjarin.) It was wonderful-- and we're going again this year! We will be about a month ahead of you. (We only have a few weeks so we're only walking from SJPP to Burgos. ) --

We had the same problem with Orisson responding to us. I asked for advice here and was advised not to use the website link, but to write refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr directly. He did respond-- but it was long enough that I made a reservation in SJPP for the night (which I have now cancelled.) We are flying in from Toronto to Paris, then taking the night train and then the train to SJPP and will be pretty jet lagged and/or sleepy from the night train ride, even though we do have a couchette. So we are only walking to Orisson, then having an "easy" walk to Roncevalles the next day. (The third day we begin in earnest.) But if you and your daughter are awake and have the time (about 9 hrs.) you can walk from SJPP to Roncevalles.

Another concern I had was that if the weather closes the Napoleon Route, we will have walk up to Orisson only to have to walk back down to take the Route Valcarlos. I have been told that we will be driven back down or to Valcarlos, so we won't have lost any time. :) Have a Buen Camino!

Some of us Colonials not only live across the pond but live close to the other pond. Flying in to Madrid or Paris from the other pond is a very long flight indeed and you still have a long train ride and maybe a bus ride. A few days of adjustment are really needed. Starting the camino with a few short walks can help.

My schedule: The day of arrival, get from Madrid to Pamplona by train and spend the night near Pamplona, the 2nd day visit and stay in Saint Jean, the 3rd day a short walk to Orisson, and the 4th day a slightly longer walk to Roscesvalles. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Some of us Colonials not only live across the pond but live close to the other pond. Flying in to Madrid or Paris from the other pond is a very long flight indeed and you still have a long train ride and maybe a bus ride. A few days of adjustment are really needed. Starting the camino with a few short walks can help.

My schedule: The day of arrival, get from Madrid to Pamplona by train and spend the night near Pamplona, the 2nd day visit and stay in Saint Jean, the 3rd day a short walk to Orisson, and the 4th day a slightly longer walk to Roscesvalles. Buen Camino

Happy Trails
I'm giving myself even more time to rest after a flight from the west coast. I'll land in Madrid around 5 pm, then I'm going to spend 2 nights in Madrid before taking the train to Pamplona. I'm fortunate enough not to be working, so I have the time.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm giving myself even more time to rest after a flight from the west coast. I'll land in Madrid around 5 pm, then I'm going to spend 2 nights in Madrid before taking the train to Pamplona. I'm fortunate enough not to be working, so I have the time.
Please tell me you're going to visit the Prado.

We get into Madrid at 0900 and catch our train to Pamplona at 1505. May I suggest Pension Corazon Puro for accommodations near Pamplona. For $35 they will pick you up at the train station, put you up for the night, feed you dinner and breakfast, and take you to Saint Jean the next morning. They come highly recommended and that is where I'm staying.

We have 45 days port to port so we have plenty of time. We are hoping to finish with enough time to go walk the Caminto del Ray which is near Malaga on the Mediterranean coast.

Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Please tell me you're going to visit the Prado.

We get into Madrid at 0900 and catch our train to Pamplona at 1505. May I suggest Pension Corazon Puro for accommodations near Pamplona. For $35 they will pick you up at the train station, put you up for the night, feed you dinner and breakfast, and take you to Saint Jean the next morning. They come highly recommended and that is where I'm staying.

We have 45 days port to port so we have plenty of time. We are hoping to finish with enough time to go walk the Caminto del Ray which is near Malaga on the Mediterranean coast.

Buen Camino

Happy Trails

My reservation at Corazon Puro is already made. :) This forum is so great for learning about places like Corazon Puro and Orisson.
I have 47 days in Spain. I haven't heard of the Caminito del Rey. I'll have to check it out! Though after walking the Camino Frances I might just be up for some city time - and a change of clothes! I'm planning on leaving a suitcase in Madrid. I have been offered a place to stay there by the friend of a woman I stayed with while I attended a language class in Barcelona last year.
Don't worry, I do intend to visit El Prado. I was only in Madrid for half a day last year and didn't have the opportunity.

Thank you
No problem. If you can't book some beds. Contact www.expressbourricot.com I use them last year for transport from Bayonne to St Jean, but they do so much more. I am thinking, you could walk, they will pick you up at an agreed upon point, and take you back to St Jean for the night then in the morning, drop you off to begin again.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
To return to the original query...

I'm surprised to read in Brierly that Orisson has 18 beds in 3 rooms, and even more surprised not to find any entry for Orisson accommodations in Miam Miam Dodo. I remember a much larger group at dinner there a few years ago. No?

To return to the original query...

I'm surprised to read in Brierly that Orisson has 18 beds in 3 rooms, and even more surprised not to find any entry for Orisson accommodations in Miam Miam Dodo. I remember a much larger group at dinner there a few years ago. No?

Their website mentions 28 beds.

In addition to the beds at Orisson, there is the gite Kayola down the road from Orisson and also run by them. There is a kitchen at Kayola, but those who stay there are also permitted to buy their meals at Orisson, if they wish to. So I suppose that there may be more than 28 people in the dining room at Orisson for any one meal.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My reservation at Corazon Puro is already made. :) This forum is so great for learning about places like Corazon Puro and Orisson.
I have 47 days in Spain. I haven't heard of the Caminito del Rey. I'll have to check it out! Though after walking the Camino Frances I might just be up for some city time - and a change of clothes! I'm planning on leaving a suitcase in Madrid. I have been offered a place to stay there by the friend of a woman I stayed with while I attended a language class in Barcelona last year.
Don't worry, I do intend to visit El Prado. I was only in Madrid for half a day last year and didn't have the opportunity.
Once you see the pictures you will want to add the Caminto del Rey to your bucket list. Oh and there is a cool Maritime Museum just down the street from the Prado that is worth a look.

I saw the pictures. It looks slightly terrifying! :eek:
There is the old route that required climbing gear and experience. There is a brand new route build above the old one that you just walk. Hard hats are still required. Be sure you are looking at the new route.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
However, if you already have accommodation booked in St Jean on the night of the 27th then forget Orisson and walk directly to Roncesvalles the next day.

We are arriving in St Jean about 11am, so we will be travelling from the train station.

I

Thank you
I would advise people not to stay at Orisson. We reached Orisson in less than three hours - about the time you're just getting into it. Also, by the time you reach Orisson the steepest uphill is over and things start to level out. Just my two cents worth.

I, too (60ish yrs old, but experienced walker), did about 9 hrs form SJPP-Roncesvalles, and I was at the same pace with lots of people of every age and shape.
On the other side, it is true that early in the morning I was overtaken by many walkers. So, there are, as always, the proverbial tortoises and hares.
I found the last kms before Orisson very tough; I was stopping every 100 meters to catch my breath in some sections. But after that, it is just a long walk. It is definitely doable in a single day. Just start as early as possible.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
On my first Camino in 2014 at age 66, I did SJPP to Roncesvalles in 7 hours, including a coffee stop at Orisson around 1hr45mins after starting out. Last year I did it for the second time at virtually the same pace.

We all have our own pace and ability so other peoples' experiences are not necessarily relevant to what we can achieve. Just go with the flow and stay comfortable. Pushing too hard will damage knees, feet and enjoyment. :)

Hello Julia, if you are really worried then take the Valcarlos route which is beautiful also. You will pass some towns before entering Valcarlos to get a snack with your daughter. The municipal albergue in Valcarlos is very nice, warm and great hospitality. The town has shops where you can supplies for the next day. If I remember right it is about 12km to get there and a scenic walk.

Last edited:
We are arriving in St Jean about 11am, so we will be travelling from the train station.

Your best bet (failing any response from Orisson) would be to stay in St Jean - it's a pleasant little town - and start out the following day from there to Roncesvalles.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
On all my caminos I have walked the Valcarlos alternative
The new municipal albergue is VERY comfortable with good heat, blankets and showers. You can reserve in advance if you wish. For more info see http://www.luzaide-valcarlos.net/.

When you arrive at 'the center' of Valcarlos by the church and in front of the municipal offices you will see a large sign for the albergue. In the municipal building go upstairs to the Secretary's office to obtain the digicode to open and enter the nearby albergue door. The hospitalero comes by about 6pm.

Do be aware that from Valcarlos upto Roncesvalles there are no services nor water. Be prepared!

Thank you

I made a booking in Orisson back on 18th March. It took 4 days for them to get back to me. I think that the refugio only opened on 1st April after being closed all winter so perhaps they're simply very busy. I'd give them a couple of days and if you hear nothing, get back in touch with them. I'm also walking with my daughters (12 & 14). I think it's a good idea to stop at Orisson as the reservation allows you to arrive until 6pm. This means that you don't need to leave SJPP until about 3pm - that will give you plenty of time to get to the refugio. It also takes the sting out of the walk to Roncesvalles. Buen Camino - Trish

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Thank you
Hi,
I too waited for a reply, then emailed them direct (not via the booking form).
I got a reply a couple of days later, telling me to pay by PayPal.
A day later I got another email with the "who to pay details".
Payment has been made, so I assume I am booked.
I have complete confidence in my ability to walk from SJPdP to Roncesvalles in one go, but i'm staying at Orisson because I want to. I hear the setting is very nice.

Thank you
Orrison Doesn't have any wi-fi, so they do take a while to get back to you. They also have one single room with 2 beds.

I will be spending the night at Corazon Puro the night before I start, so I won't already be in St Jean, meaning that I will be getting a later start than many.
I've done the Corazon Puro thing twice. Last year and in 2014. It's great, but by the time you get to SJPdP the next morning it's around 8:30-9:00 am. After you get your pilgrim's passport at the pilgrim's passport office and pick up some lunch for the day's walk you would probably be looking at a 10:00 am start time. If you plan on walking all the way to Roncesvalles you would get there pretty late. If you plan on staying at Orisson, then it's no problem and you would even have time to roam about SJPdP for a little while. It doesn't take very long to walk to Orisson.
Both times I did it like that, I spent the day/night at SJPdP and walked to Roncesvalles the next day.
cheers and ultreia

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Thank you
I know, being with someone that age is enough to make anyone more nervous. Nonetheless, I tender some memories in hope they aid you. The worst of the climbing uphill was in that first third of the day. (Of course when one lives in the flatlands it's going to be more difficult.) Stop for breath when you feel short-winded--join the millions of pilgrims who have made that lovely photo looking down onto St Jean while we caught our breath--and be sure to eat a bowl of soup at Orrison. We didn't--it was only about 1030--and when noon came we were too tired to eat more than 3 bites. So eat/drink something warm and salty and keep going. Rest when you need to. It's okay to sit on the grass.
There is a little bit that's slippy footing on the far side of the mountain. Take sticks, use them. My sticks paid for themselves on that first day, didn't need them much after that. HTH.

I suggest staying in SJPdP for the day/night as well. It really is a cool little town. The train station is only a few minute walk from the center of town.
Get up early the next morning. Get some breakfast and walk to Roncesvalles.
cheers and ultreia

Some facts about Orisson, current as of October 2015:

Capacity
They have five dorm rooms, three with six beds each, and two with 10 beds each. They also have two smaller rooms that they do not book/assign in advance - one sleeps two in twin beds, the other sleeps three in a full-size bed and a twin. That equals a capacity of 43. Last year they installed a washing machine to accompany their tumbler dryer. One set of machines for 43 people, so that may not be your laundry day.

Reservations
There is no internet access at Orisson. Reservations are handled in a nearby town, usually by someone who reads and writes in English. Sometimes they get back to you right away, sometimes not. When they respond to your booking, you will get two emails - one from refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr, and a second one, with the link to the PayPal invoice, from SARL APATHIA. If you haven't paid the invoice, you do not have a reservation.

The owner, Jean-Jacques, runs the facility but he does not handle the email correspondence. He speaks French, Basque, and Spanish fluently, and not English. His wife, Carole, speaks French, Basque, and English. One of their staff is fluent in English, and they occasionally have someone working who also speaks English.

If you don't have an advance booking, the Pilgrim's Office in SJPP can check availability for you and make a reservation. They regularly get same-day cancellations, when people leave SJPP early, get to Orisson early, and decide to walk on to Roncesvalles. On your day of arrival, you must arrive by 6:30pm, or your bed will be given away, no refunds.

Food
The communal dinner begins at 6:30pm. It is a wonderful experience and a great start to the journey. Guests staying at Kayola have the option to eat at Orisson.

Breakfast at Orisson is juice, coffee, tea, and/or hot chocolate, plus bread with butter and jam. Nothing else is available for breakfast. You can order a sandwich (meat, pate, cheese on a baguette) to take on the trail, but you must order and pay for it when you check in. For those arriving hungry during the day, the bar will be open and the restaurant serves meals in the afternoon.

For those needing more than a baguette to fuel them over the mountain, you will likely find a food truck eight kilometers after Orisson, selling hot coffee and hot chocolate, hard boiled eggs, fruit, and delicious sheep's cheese from the owner's farm (Michele and his son Sebastian). They also offer the last stamp for your credencial before you leave France. When they are there, they are there until around 1:30pm each day, through around the end of September (I'm not sure when their 'season' starts).

Personally, I wouldn't miss Orisson when starting from SJPP. The view from the terrace, the sunrise, the community feel...all makes for the perfect end of the first day of any Camino journey. And it fully supports my motto: Don't rush the start!

~ Nancy

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Capacity
They have five dorm rooms, three with six beds each, and two with 10 beds each. They also have two smaller rooms that they do not book/assign in advance - one sleeps two in twin beds, the other sleeps three in a full-size bed and a twin. That equals a capacity of 43. Last year they installed a washing machine to accompany their tumbler dryer. One set of machines for 43 people, so that may not be your laundry day.

Reservations
There is no internet access at Orisson. Reservations are handled in a nearby town, usually by someone who reads and writes in English. Sometimes they get back to you right away, sometimes not. When they respond to your booking, you will get two emails - one from refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr, and a second one, with the link to the PayPal invoice, from SARL APATHIA. If you haven't paid the invoice, you do not have a reservation.

The owner, Jean-Jacques, runs the facility but he does not handle the email correspondence. He speaks French, Basque, and Spanish fluently, and not English. His wife, Carole, speaks French, Basque, and English. One of their staff is fluent in English, and they occasionally have someone working who also speaks English.

If you don't have an advance booking, the Pilgrim's Office in SJPP can check availability for you and make a reservation. They regularly get same-day cancellations, when people leave SJPP early, get to Orisson early, and decide to walk on to Roncesvalles. On your day of arrival, you must arrive by 6:30pm, or your bed will be given away, no refunds.

Food
The communal dinner begins at 6:30pm. It is a wonderful experience and a great start to the journey. Guests staying at Kayola have the option to eat at Orisson.

Breakfast at Orisson is juice, coffee, tea, and/or hot chocolate, plus bread with butter and jam. Nothing else is available for breakfast. You can order a sandwich (meat, pate, cheese on a baguette) to take on the trail, but you must order and pay for it when you check in. For those arriving hungry during the day, the bar will be open and the restaurant serves meals in the afternoon.

For those needing more than a baguette to fuel them over the mountain, you will likely find a food truck eight kilometers after Orisson, selling hot coffee and hot chocolate, hard boiled eggs, fruit, and delicious sheep's cheese from the owner's farm (Michele and his son Sebastian). They also offer the last stamp for your credencial before you leave France. When they are there, they are there until around 1:30pm each day, through around the end of September (I'm not sure when their 'season' starts).

Personally, I wouldn't miss Orisson when starting from SJPP. The view from the terrace, the sunrise, the community feel...all makes for the perfect end of the first day of any Camino journey. And it fully supports my motto: Don't rush the start!

~ Nancy
Great info. Would you mind if I copy this information to my YouTube show 01 SJPD to Orisson with your name to my video details.

Last edited:

Thank you
Lots of good comments and I can really relate and agree with nancy. I was booked( 3years ago at end of April) into the hostel just below Orrison and on arrival so did Jean- Jacques to tell me they not yet open,Duh!!, and he would take me to orrison , maybe 1 km,which he did. Next day, Napoleon route closed with snow so he and another took 2 vehicles to shuttle us(no charge) to the Valcarlos route and assured us that we were not gaining any distance in doing so. Did not want to think I had 'cheated' on Day 1 (it's OK just a personal thing I have! ). On the way uphill I broke my hiking pole and J-J gave me another from the back room. Great guy and great place, even in a non stop downpour on arrival and departure and all the way to roncesvalles.
This May I start 26 from SJPP so will not stay in Orrison as arrival time in SJPP too late for the evening meal which is a big deal and quite wonderful. Lots of people to meet and bump into again all along the Camino. I did not find it a huge struggle to get to Orrison ( was 69, 3 years ago. Gaaaah!) and I had been going non stop from Toronto the previous day, so if you take your time you will be fine with the only irritation maybe your 13 year old yelling 'Come on Mum, hurry up'.
I booked a place in SJPP on booking.com and will arrive 7pm, so maybe will have a coffee in Orrison next morning. You could also book a backup place in SJPP, just in case, and easy to cancel within the rules if you do hear from J-J who is a really busy guy, from my observations.

Buen Camino

Thank you
I sent you a reply but under the Nancy comment further down.
Bhirc
george

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Capacity

Reservations

Food

There was a washer and dryer at Orrison in 2012--lots of folks wanting to use both as the October day was hot and sunny and the walk up to the gite hot and sweaty! It was much appreciated! :)

~ Nancy

Seatosky10,
Loved your little YouTube. Can't wait! We have our reservation for May 24. It was not a long delay to get a reply, but it was before they were open for the season

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Thank you

Welcome Julia!

I went through the same thing as you last year and they did finally respond and I did get reservations. I also stayed the night before at Corazón Puro and they dropped me off the next day in SJPdP at 8:30am. I found the pilgrim office, looked around town a little, and started my Camino at 8:55am. I am a fast walker and light packer and made it to Orrison at 10:55am. I thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon relaxing on the deck and meeting other pilgrims. For me it was the right choice. I had 40 days and made it to Santiago in 26 days so I had plenty of time. I will absolutely do it the same way next time.

Good luck with your decision.

Mike

Thank you

After numerous emails and 4 phone calls I finally received a reply which I almost deleted as it was a paypal request. Good luck it is very frustrating. I start walking in the 25 so may run into you along the way.

Another week has passed and I have still not heard back from them, so we are about to give up. Our backup plan is to walk to the Orrison, if they do not have beds available then we will get a taxi back to St Jean and stay overnight in St Jean, then get a taxi back in the morning to the Orrison and walk from there.

Hi Julia,
I know it seems like it is only days away now, but it is really more than a month so there is still some time. I do like your alternate plan, though. I know, I am also anxious and counting down the days! We are staying at Bellari in SJPDP the first night, then walking to Orrison the next day. Starting slow due to jet lag and old hip and knee joints. We're starting on May 24th so we may also see you on the trail somewhere later.
Janet

Another week has passed and I have still not heard back from them, so we are about to give up. Our backup plan is to walk to the Orrison, if they do not have beds available then we will get a taxi back to St Jean and stay overnight in St Jean, then get a taxi back in the morning to the Orrison and walk from there.
I just made reservations last week.I first sent an email about when I wanted to stay,about 2 days later I got an email saying I was booked but they would send me info on paying on a paypal account.A few hours later I received a paypal request and payed it.All within 3 days total.You might want to keep trying.After all I heard it seemed too easy for me good luck.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I finally got a response from them but it was through PayPal. Almost deleted it without looking as I was not looking for anything from PayPal.
Good luck
Very confused as to weither I should stay there or just push on.

I finally got a response from them but it was through PayPal. Almost deleted it without looking as I was not looking for anything from PayPal.
Good luck
Very confused as to weither I should stay there or just push on.
That's what thought at first.I had reservations for hunto but canceled once I got into Orrison.It seems to me that's the happening spot to be.

Great info. Would you mind if I copy this information to my YouTube show 01 SJPD to Orisson with your name to my video details.
Sorry...just saw your request. If you haven't already, yes, of course, do copy and share.
~ Nancy

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In a way waiting for the response (PayPal) is just giving new folks a taste of learning patience. If you expect quick customer service on the Camino you will be learning a valuable lesson about reality, culture & the pace of how things are done. You will slow down or you will be setting yourself up for getting annoyed. Love everyone!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back