• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

We do not accept single sex parties. ?

JonKr

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2016
Hello. I am new here and not so good in English. :)

I will be on Camino in late June with my wife and was sending a reservation for double room in Hostel. I got quick and good answers in email. But the end of the e-mail was a surprise:

NO ADMITIMOS DESPEDIDAS DE SOLTERO.
Google translate: We do not accept single sex parties.

What is that and why? Is it a prejudice against homosexuals? Is it common on Camino?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I will be on Camino in late June with my wife and was sending a reservation for double room in Hostel. I got quick and good answers in email. But the end of the e-mail was a surprise:

What is that and why? Is it a prejudice against homosexuals? Is it common on Camino?

Welcome to the forum JonKr. As Spain is generally considered to have been ahead of other EU countries in its progressive attitudes regarding sexuality, I would assume that this message is to prevent the booking of rooms by stag or hen party groups. I recall with amusement checking in at a Parador on the Camino with a fellow peregrino who I had met two towns earlier, (we are both older heterosexual women) and being asked if we would prefer a matrimoniale or twin beds. There was no assumptionmade concerning our sexuality or prejudice communicated, just a very warm welcome. I liked that.
Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

This is referring to bachelor parties, literally "goodbye parties for single men."

My experience has been much like SEB's, and I think Spaniards are generally very tolerant, and pay no attention to people's sexual orientation. In the small towns, of course, you are likely to find pockets of prejudice, but I know several same sex couples in the US whose vacation destination of choice is Spain, for exactly the reasons SEB describes.

Thank you for your good information. So it was misunderstanding. If it was about same sex couples, it will be illegal In my home country I think. So I can make a reservation the Hostel with a good conscience.

No hotel, hostel, camping, bar, pub, restaurant, shop, etc... can refuse to admit people because of race, gender, nationality, sexual orientation or religious beliefs.

If you see it you must ask for a complaints sheet and fill it. If they don't give you one, you can call police or guardia civil.

Also, if you are discriminated in any way, you can report it to the police or guardia civil.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
hahaha hahaha sorry I can't help laughing but I assure you its all in fun :) so much for literal translation, it reminds of joke "como estas frijoles? meaning how are you bean? hahaha

zzotte

Boy is Google Translate a bad tool. Try translating "Florida panhandle" and see what you get. Too funny!

The albergue is refering to hen and stag nights and should be applauded for not catering to them. Loads of Europeans fly to Spain for these days of drunken and very loud stupper since alcohol is so inexpensive. What a pain in the behind.

We booked a room in France from the local tourist office. I heard her say, "yes, it is a couple, one bed will be fine. They will be arriving on bicycles" When we arrived, a couple of guys in bike clothes were having a beer on the patio. The owner laughed, and said he thought those guys were waiting for their room. He was, however, getting it ready for them.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
...being asked if we would prefer a matrimoniale or twin beds...
That is just how the Spanish refer to what we would call a double or queen-size bed.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
...where every terrace had a "french widow"?:rolleyes:
Are you sure she is French? I thought she was Irish when I heard her name was Pattie O'Daws. ;)

That is just how the Spanish refer to what we would call a double or queen-size bed.
Right @SEB , not a wam welcome towards any inclination regaring to your preferences , just the size of the mattress, which is assumed to be wider only for married people.

No, it wasn't our preference for the size of the mattress he was checking, it was whether we wanted one double bed or two single/twin beds.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back