• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

We had almost 1000 pilgrims yesterday...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A remarkable number given that it is not even Holy Week yet! Just had a look at the pilgrim office figures. For the first three months last year the Compostela total was 11,040. March ends tomorrow and there have already been 14,285 this year. At the other end of the Frances there were reports of 158 pilgrims at the pilgrim office in SJPDP yesterday. Getting busy out there!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The bounce back after Covid seems to be in full force, along with many now reassessing their priorities in life. I think it will be a very busy summer. I plan to do the northern route in June and hopefully This will be before the main rush in July/August along the coast.

I was interested to see the footwear they had - mine weren't that clean at the end (or at the start for that matter). Apart from checking the soles to remove any stones I only clean/brush mine when I get home, perhaps I should pay a bit more attention to them.:D

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Looks like a large group of youngsters just made it before the easter rush.
View attachment 143822View attachment 143823
The last 2 times I was arriving in Santiago I saw a small groups of school kids walking into Santiago. SInging and laughing of course. Recently I have also seen (and both times it was either in the Pilgrim Office or just outside) small groups of soldiers who walked and were getting their Compostela. I was speaking to one of the soldiers with my bad Spanish and his bad English about problems walking with his boots. I forgot to ask him where they started from. I wish I had.

There is an annual military challenge along the Camino Portugues later in the year which combines a 120km march with full kit and a number of military tests like abseiling from a bridge and swimming a river towing equipment. The winners usually take less than 17 hours! Apparently this year's event will be open to civilian teams. Don't all rush at once! :cool:

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The pilgrim office recorded 1,131 pilgrims yesterday (Friday 31 March). Bringing the total for the first quarter of this year to 16,380. Up from 11,037 over the same period last year. Edit: Apparently things are picking up in SJPDP too. 160 pilgrims registered on Thursday and 245 on Friday!

A friend in Santiago suggested to me that the current large numbers may be partly a 3-fold rebound from Covid. People who had their already-planned Camino journeys cancelled because of it. Those who were considering walking a Camino but delayed making arrangements until travel was easier. And those for whom Covid has been a spur to bring forward their vague "bucket list" experiences.

I was interested to see how many had walked the Portugues and the coastal variant in the past three months. The relatively mild climate does make it a good option for walking in winter. A route that seems to be growing in popularity every year.

1680342077347.png

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I was interested to see the footwear they had - mine weren't that clean at the end (or at the start for that matter). Apart from checking the soles to remove any stones I only clean/brush mine when I get home, perhaps I should pay a bit more attention to them.:D
The times I've walked the Camino in warmer, drier weather I wash my shoes whenever I can. When there's opportunity to hang them out to dry quickly in the sun. It helps maintain the shoes and eliminates any sweaty odor. I've done the same with my backpack.

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back