• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

We Made It!

Paintboy2

Time of past OR future Camino
We're home now after walking up the coast of Portugal and on through Spain to Santiago. After planning for a year, undergoing physical problems prior to and along the way, we made it! This is a great place to plan your trip, but I suggest you spend more time on preparation. When your plans fall apart for whatever reason, if you're prepared, you will have no problem carrying on. Learn how to figure out where you're at. Learn how to download tomorrows route online to your smart phone. Learn how to use google translate. Learn how to listen to your body to avoid injury. Learn how to relax and enjoy what happens next that you didn't plan. Learn that the journey will happen regardless of your plans. Learn that perigrinos that you meet along the way will be your support, and you theirs. Eat the local food, especially Jamon. Thank your hosts profusely. Go to the Pilgrims Mass. Take lots of pictures and videos. Be prepared to accept a feeling of accomplishment, while at the same time feeling unbelievably grateful for what you've just experienced.
Most of all, don't quit. Slow down if you need to, or take a break for a day, but don't quit. Your injuries will heal even as you carry on. Just go slow, until you can speed up. Our first day was a killer for us, and we weren't sure we could even start day 2, but we did, and the next day, and the next day, and the next, and on and on. You can do it. The bad days are temporary. The good days will replenish you until the day that you finish your journey. Bon Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We're home now after walking up the coast of Portugal and on through Spain to Santiago. After planning for a year, undergoing physical problems prior to and along the way, we made it! This is a great place to plan your trip, but I suggest you spend more time on preparation. When your plans fall apart for whatever reason, if you're prepared, you will have no problem carrying on. Learn how to figure out where you're at. Learn how to download tomorrows route online to your smart phone. Learn how to use google translate. Learn how to listen to your body to avoid injury. Learn how to relax and enjoy what happens next that you didn't plan. Learn that the journey will happen regardless of your plans. Learn that perigrinos that you meet along the way will be your support, and you theirs. Eat the local food, especially Jamon. Thank your hosts profusely. Go to the Pilgrims Mass. Take lots of pictures and videos. Be prepared to accept a feeling of accomplishment, while at the same time feeling unbelievably grateful for what you've just experienced.
Most of all, don't quit. Slow down if you need to, or take a break for a day, but don't quit. Your injuries will heal even as you carry on. Just go slow, until you can speed up. Our first day was a killer for us, and we weren't sure we could even start day 2, but we did, and the next day, and the next day, and the next, and on and on. You can do it. The bad days are temporary. The good days will replenish you until the day that you finish your journey. Bon Camino.
Hi, congratulations with ending your journey in Santiago. :):)
Wish you well, Peter.

Congratulations!

I totally agree with "learn to listen to your body". We do so many thing on automatic mode that we don't think "do I need to eat? do I need to rest?" - we just follow the clock and it anyway. But once you listen, you eat better, you rest better, you wear your equipment properly, you just enjoy much more.

All the best!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Beautiful advise. Well stated and a perfect testimony of your experience. FHL

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back