• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

We only have 8 days - where to start?

Kat123

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk in May 2014
My friend and I will walk along El Camino in May for about 8 days. We would like to end the walk in Santiago De Compostela. Where do you recommend that we start? We will fly to Madrid and then take a bus or train to a suggested village. Thank you for your advice!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
O'Cebriero would be a good place to start IMO. You would have a nice leisurely walk into Santiago and maybe even have time to bus to Finisterra and Muxia. Either way have a great Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It really depends on how many kilometer / miles you can walk per day without stress and problems. The lower average would be for example 20km / day which gives you, 8 walking days assumed, a distance of 160km from Santiago = O Cebreiro. If you can do 25km per day then you could start at 200km = ~ Ponferrada. In general it might be better to take things more easily, if you have time leftover, enjoy Santiago or a bus ride to Finisterra.

Or you could walk the Camino Ingles (http://www.csj.org.uk/route-camino-ingles.htm) starting in Ferrol to SdC + walk to Finisterra ...

Many possibilities ;-) What ever you decide, have a Buen Camino! SY

With the timeline you're talking about, I would also suggest starting from O Cebreiro. Even if you feel that your legs are strong enough for 200 kms and therefore look to start at Ponferrada, the walk up to O Cebreiro itself is extremely demanding. If you were still 'finding' your legs as you took on that climb, your body would not thank you for it. Starting from O Cebreiro would allow you to proceed at whatever pace you like without any steep uphill marches!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I did Astorga to SdC in a comfortable 10 days so somewhere west of there.

I went Astorga-Rabanal
Rabanal-Molinaseca
Molinaseca-Villafranca...

So maybe Villafranca? It is a tough start as others have said, the climb up to O Cebreiro itself isn't that challenging if you're fit but it's a bit different having it as day one without finding your legs first. I like a challenge though so wouldn't let it put me off. It ain't Everest :) it's a strenuous couple of hours at the end of the day and there is always the option of bailing out to the road. The walk from Villafranca was one of my favourite days.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hundreds of people start from SJPDP and it so happens THAT first day is considered to be the steepest, hardest climb along the French Way. Therefore, starting at O'Cebreiro would be parallell in many ways to a SJPDP start. The average pilgrim walks 25 Kms/day-- another average I have read is 5 Kms/hr. In May there will be rain on that section, so taking all that in, guesstimate 3.5 Kms/hr, if you walk for six hours you will be around 21-22 Kms/day, which places you around O'Cebreiro. That said, a critical piece of your logistics is to GET TO the starting point. O'Cebreiro is not a hub by any means of public transportation. From Madrid, take the train or (my preference...) the ALSA Bus that leaves from either Barajas Terminal 4 or Estacion Sur to either Ponferrada or Piedrafita do Cebreiro (from where you can either take a taxi or walk to O'Cebreiro). A trade-off for easier logistics is to start at Ponferrada and walk more kms/day. The options are laid out and ultimately, it is up to you and friend what suits you. Buen Camino!!

Hundreds of people start from SJPDP and it so happens THAT first day is considered to be the steepest, hardest climb along the French Way. Therefore, starting at O'Cebreiro would be parallell in many ways to a SJPDP start. The average pilgrim walks 25 Kms/day-- another average I have read is 5 Kms/hr. In May there will be rain on that section, so taking all that in, guesstimate 3.5 Kms/hr, if you walk for six hours you will be around 21-22 Kms/day, which places you around O'Cebreiro. That said, a critical piece of your logistics is to GET TO the starting point. O'Cebreiro is not a hub by any means of public transportation. From Madrid, take the train or (my preference...) the ALSA Bus that leaves from either Barajas Terminal 4 or Estacion Sur to either Ponferrada or Piedrafita do Cebreiro (from where you can either take a taxi or walk to O'Cebreiro). A trade-off for easier logistics is to start at Ponferrada and walk more kms/day. The options are laid out and ultimately, it is up to you and friend what suits you. Buen Camino!!

¡Mil gracias Olivares!! ¿Porqué prefiere el bus? Why do you prefer the bus? Just curious :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer the bus because, in the case of my frequent destinations, I just have to get to Terminal 4, get a ticket, and be on my way. The buses are very comfortable and I am partial to road trips. I often find the bus stations are closer to town centre, so they seem convenient as well. That said, many people prefer the train travel because they can walk around and may have better facilities. Often, but not always, the bus fare is lower, but they do fill up quicker, so reservations are a bit more critical with buses (depends the route, though...). Bottom line: you cannot go wrong either way so long as you research options and select what works for you.

¡Que disfrutes Olivia! Buen Camino!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I used the Alsa buses for the first time last year. Very impressed. I wish our bus services were as good.

Hi Kat 123,

I concur with my comrade from BC Canada,
Start in Santiago , fly there direct. .
Walk 3 days to Fisterre , stay an extra day ,
Walk to Muxia , stay an extra day =======6 days gone
Return to Santiago on early bus and have two there before flying home =======8 days now gone.

1/ You will have two compostela's in your "back kick" if these are important [ they are not with us] , experienced at the end two lovely villages which are important in relation to the camino, especially Muxia and enjoyed nice towns on the way there.
2/ It will give you an insight into the Camino Frances which you can achieve when you have 5 or more weeks available.

I would be disappointed in the 8 days if i finished in Santiago.......
From our experiences;
You will see people of all ages,nationalities,shapes and sizes all in the square who have walked varying distances , some 1600km plus.
You will want to be part of this whole experience because it's lovely with raw emotion shown in many, many cases.
I would and i think you might Kat think ....i wish i did it all.....

Come back after you short warm up mate and enjoy this wonderful experience.
Buen Camino,
David

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back