• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

"Wear one, wash one" or "wear one, wash one and spare one"

Ivan Shannon

Time of past OR future Camino
"2016"
Hello Fellow Pilgrims,

Acknowledging the need for a sleeping bag due the withdrawal of blankets in albergues I am looking for advice in the washing and drying facilities in alberques. I have only completed two short Caminos, the first I made the beginners mistake and carried too much clothes so facilities was not an immediate issue. My second Camino I attempted to reduce the quantity of clothing but fell foul of the weather, heavy rain and damp conditions resulted in washed but undried clothes.

I am planning to walk Camino Frances starting in April 2022 from St. Jean, damp conditions will be certain and therefore I wonder if I should continue with the "wear one, wash one" approach or would it be wiser to adopt the "wear one, wash one and spare one" approach.

I look forward to the views of other pilgrims.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have a very strong opinion on this question, but I give it not with a directive to do what I do, but rather with the hope that you will take all the opinions you get and figure out what works for you!

Since you will be on the Francés, the availability of washers and dryers will likely make this a non-issue, but even without that luxury, I think that with quick-dry clothes (essential, IMO), the ”spare one” is unnecessary. If you are at a time and place where drying by morning is unlikely, just wear what you are wearing for another day. That means you will have clean clothes when you get to the next place where you can wash what you are wearing.

If you really need to wash something, and dryers are not available, and clothes won’t dry on their own, a night in a pensión/hotel will solve your problem. Use the bath towel to wring out the clothes and they will dry. I frequently hang wrung-out clothes all around the room on hangers — from the overhead TV stand, from door knobs, etc.

In a pinch, and if the temperature is not too cold, I have also put on damp clothes. This was because of the advice I got from a former Spanish soldier on my first Vdlp that body heat is the best dryer. He used to get inside his sleeping bag with wet-ish clothes and emerge all dry after his nap. Not sure that sounds like much fun though.

Buen camino, Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
On all of my various caminos I have used washer/dryers no more than three times total. I enjoy doing camino laundry by hand and if there is no clothes lines outside or if raining, I become innovative in my drying techniques, like Laurie, sometimes even hanging clothes outside of an upstairs window, safety pinned on a hanger. In a pinch I usually opt to wash just my socks, undies and the t-shirt under my fleece.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ever the contrary one, I've been in the "wear one, wash one, and spare one" camp on my last couple of Caminos (frankly, I can't remember what I brought on my first) and I haven't regretted my choice. It enables a bit more variety of options (e.g. long sleeve and short sleeve shirts) without necessarily forcing them on you, and in both Caminos there were days when the weather and washing facilities made it a lot more convenient to wait that extra day before doing my laundry. That said, I try and keep my clothing choices relatively lightweight and I haven't gone with the alternative to really know what I am missing.

I agree with @David Tallan on this one. I find it useful to have more options to mix and match lightweight layers. I usually err on the side of caution when it comes to questions of comfort, convenience or safety. I don't get too concerned about an extra pound or two. On a camping trip I routinely carry twice the weight that I might take with me on an albergue-based Camino. In practice I find the weight and volume difference between carrying two or three sets of lightweight clothes is barely perceptible.

I bought two Icebreaker merino wool tshirts from a men's clothing sale rack before my first camino. One was size small and the second size medium, since this was what was available. I wear them turn about, washing the second. But having two sizes makes it possible to wear both at once for warmth. I recommend buying brand name tshirts, as merino wool shirts not from a known brand name can be of poorer quality. I had this problem with other merino wool shirts, which were quickly full of holes. Check the percentage of merino, as recently there are larger percentages of other materials in some shirts. I still wear the same two shirts.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Although I've done it both ways, I prefer the "wear one, wash one, and spare one" option. By the time I completed a camino with just two sets, I wanted to burn everything I had worn that was quick-dry material. Having a casual set of lightweight cotton blend (t-shirt and shorts) felt like a luxury in the evenings, similar to the feel of real sheets in a private room after sleeping on paper sheets/sleeping bag for days on end. I don't even think about the extra pound (at most) in my pack.

Although I've done it both ways, I prefer the "wear one, wash one, and spare one" option. By the time I completed a camino with just two sets, I wanted to burn everything I had worn that was quick-dry material. Having a casual set of lightweight cotton blend (t-shirt and shorts) felt like a luxury in the evenings, similar to the feel of real sheets in a private room after sleeping on paper sheets/sleeping bag for days on end. I don't even think about the extra pound (at most) in my pack.
I also take some extra clothing for evening wear: a long cotton Tilley skirt, comfortable and with a zip-up side pocket for security. I have to wear something in the evening, or I could not wash my day clothes. I feel good, being able to visit a church, a museum, a nice restaurant, dressed as a lady, with my Birkenstock plastic sandals for footwear..

Last edited:
I don't follow either of the above approaches. I have 2 outfits - one for walking and one for evening/night. The evening one can be worn multiple times until washing is convenient. The day outfit can stay "dirty" until washing is convenient.

The exception is that each outfit starts with a base layer shirt of very lightweight merino wool. This takes most of the perspiration and can be washed daily (and dried overnight) with my socks and underwear.

I always make sure I keep one outfit dry in my pack for the evening to come. So, I don't wash both at once unless I'm sure of drying them.

All of the layers are available to wear as layers whenever the weather is cold. A warm sweater/down vest is additional. Another item could be added for variety, but at least I know during planning that it is the optional item that will be abandoned if necessary.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am planning to walk Camino Frances starting in April 2022 from St. Jean, damp conditions will be certain and therefore I wonder if I should continue with the "wear one, wash one" approach or would it be wiser to adopt the "wear one, wash one and spare one" approach.
Socks and underpants the latter ; trousers and similar one ; all else the former.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Ahh. Do you not have ANY second item for your legs? I usually need full coverage to stay warm enough during the shoulder season.
I have two pairs of pants, so if I need the warmth, I just put on the pants I will wear in the morning. Some people may find that uncomfortable, but I’ve been doing it for so long it is just not an issue at all. If I could figure out how to not feel ridiculous in leggings, I would probably have one pair of leggings and one pair of pants, and sleep in the leggings, but I have not been able to take that jump.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
On all of my various caminos I have used washer/dryers no more than three times total. I enjoy doing camino laundry by hand and if there is no clothes lines outside or if raining, I become innovative in my drying techniques, like Laurie, sometimes even hanging clothes outside of an upstairs window, safety pinned on a hanger. In a pinch I usually opt to wash just my socks, undies and the t-shirt under my fleece.
I have many years of hotel laundry experience also; being too parsimonious to ever send anything unnecessarily to be service washed; even when spending my former employers’ money.

Quick drying is assisted (obviously) by effective dewatering. Rolling t-shirts or underwear in a towel (ideally the hotel’s) and treading on the rolled towel for a few minutes gets an amazing amount of water out.

The ‘anti-theft’ hangers to be found in many hotel rooms - the ones with no hook, just a metal rod with a mushroomed top - can be defeated with a short loop of string and suspended in the bathroom to assist drying.

A tiny bottle of cold-water laundry detergent is more effective than a bar of soap and gets me through two weeks of laundry. It’s certainly lighter than another unnecessary set of clothes. I do, however, abhor sleeping in clothes which I will wear during the day; so I found a set of ultra-light boxers and t-shirt to sleep in. (www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk)

Darker colours are more forgiving of a bit of grime.

My spare set of clothes are identical to my other set.

I was once chucked out of a hotel in Braga where the display of my drying underwear on the balcony was directly opposite the Archbishops office and he phoned the hotel to complain.

I bring 1 pair of light polyester pants and either an ultralite pagadonia capalene base pants layer (colder weather) or a pair of crinkle100 percent pair for hot weather. No shorts
Then 3 - four oz. Ultra light padagonia LS shirts. They are so very light. On the early cold mornings I may sleep in one,then add the other two. I rotate the shirts,washing the one closest to my skin daily. We stay in private rooms where often a face towel and a hand towel are supplied. So I often use the bigger towel for drying the clothes and the smaller one for drying me. I usually carry a very light piece of chord and make creative clothes lines.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@henrythedog, two of my three Camino experiences using a clothes dryer in albergues resulted in a few of my synthetics being semi-melted...well I'm exaggerating a bit, but suffice it to say they were never the same again with snaked zippers. The third time my friend had accidently left some vitamins in her pocket and all of our clothes came out of the dryer with a toxic metallic odor.

A tiny bottle of cold-water laundry detergent is more effective than a bar of soap and gets me through two weeks of laundry.
I like laundry detergent sheets. These are the ones that I use, though I've noticed that there are a lot more brands available now. I use half a sheet for handwashing my daily clothes. I use a 12 liter dry bag to wash my clothes in, rather than the albergue laundry sinks. As I'm undressing for my shower and the water is warming up I put half a laundry detergent sheet and water in the bag, then my clothes. Then I fill the bag about 3/4 full with water and close it up. I give it a few shakes and set it aside to soak while I shower and dress. I then shake the bag some more to agitate everything well before rinsing in the laundry sink. The detergent sheets don't create a lot of suds, but get the clothes clean. After wring them out well I roll them up in my towel and twist it. This method gets my clothes cleaner than using the laundry sinks alone in the albergues. I think that the long soaking time is the secret. I even use the dry bag to wash when I'm staying in a room with my own bathroom.
Pants that are the color of dried dirt are even better. 😃

Wear one, wash one. Maybe an extra pair of socks in cooler climes just in case.

Washing in a sink is no problem. As has been said about the Camino Frances, lots of washing and drying facilities.

In the UK we have the Rohan brand of which I am a great fan and a loyal customer of 20+ years. Hard wearing, quick drying and good to wear even now as I type this sitting at home.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I like laundry detergent sheets. These are the ones that I use, though I've noticed that there are a lot more brands available now. I use half a sheet for handwashing my daily clothes. I use a 12 liter dry bag to wash my clothes in, rather than the albergue laundry sinks. As I'm undressing for my shower and the water is warming up I put half a laundry detergent sheet and water in the bag, then my clothes. Then I fill the bag about 3/4 full with water and close it up. I give it a few shakes and set it aside to soak while I shower and dress. I then shake the bag some more to agitate everything well before rinsing in the laundry sink. The detergent sheets don't create a lot of suds, but get the clothes clean. After wring them out well I roll them up in my towel and twist it. This method gets my clothes cleaner than using the laundry sinks alone in the albergues. I think that the long soaking time is the secret. I even use the dry bag to wash when I'm staying in a room with my own bathroom.

Several years ago when re-carpeting the house my wife was asked what colour range she wanted to pick from.

‘Cat vomit would be good’

(In the years before the arrival of Henry the actual dog, of course.)

Several years ago when re-carpeting the house my wife was asked what colour range she wanted to pick from.

‘Cat vomit would be good’

(In the years before the arrival of Henry the actual dog, of course.)
It seems your wife has a dry sense of humor similar to your own.🙂

In a pinch, and if the temperature is not too cold, I have also put on damp clothes. This was because of the advice I got from a former Spanish soldier on my first Vdlp that body heat is the best dryer. He used to get inside his sleeping bag with wet-ish clothes and emerge all dry after his nap. Not sure that sounds like much fun though.
My husband told me about this … and it works. I have used this system from time to time for underwear and socks (and occasionally a t shirt) if they are still damp and look like they may not be dry by morning due to weather. I put them in the sleeping bag / bed with me - not wearing them - and body heat takes care of the rest. Voila. I don’t fancy wearing the damp clothes but having them ‘sleepy’ nearby is not a problem.

But if the weather is good, I just hang them off my pack the next day and let the sun do its thing. 😎

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I bring a spare set. Real clothes for wearing around town on a day off, or Santiago after my Camino. Also, I never feel my hand-washing gets my clothes truly clean so on the few occasions I use a washing machine I want to wash both sets of my hiking clothes!

I could not have said it better than Phoenix. My spares of top and bottom were my splurge items and I appreciated having them so much. Also, because I deeply feared blisters, I had four pairs of socks. All were short socks (i,e. No calf or ankle coverage) so I don’t think the weight meant much. Dry feet were so important to me that I often changed socks during the day and my socks did not dry overnight even with extensive towel intervention in the unheated rooms.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
. Also, because I deeply feared blisters, I had four pairs of socks. All were short socks (i,e. No calf or ankle coverage) so I don’t think the weight meant much.
I've posted this before on the forum but it seemed very appropriate here. The English writer and TV presenter Nicholas Crane on the problem of overthinking his packing decisions for a very long walk from Santiago to Istanbul :)

socks.jpg

Probably not, but I would hope so. I do not enjoy the thought of using a shower that has been used as a wash basin with all the dirt and contaminants - like dried manure - that would be sloughed off onto the floor pan. ;)
Well I actually had already deleted this comment, before yours, because I realised I hadn’t explained the scenario well and made the belated realisation that it would inevitably attract this sort of response. Thankfully for fellow pilgrims I typically take private rooms these days and, in any case, pride myself on cleaning the shower down after use so that’s it’s often found cleaner than when I arrived. So no cause for concern 😉

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I take two similar sets of clothing, but I always bring 3 pair of socks and 3 undies. Ironically, I have never yet needed to use the third pair of either.
That said, I have never had to walk in rain for days on end and I'm sure I would have appreciated those extras.

Real clothes for wearing around town on a day off
One would be hard pressed to distinguish between my real clothes and my Camino clothes! In fact, my real clothes are often my old Camino clothes!

I don't count socks as part of the clothing discussion. They are critical foot wear equipment, so an extra pair or two is wise.

dirt and contaminants - like dried manure
C'mon. I don't expect that Jenny steps into the shower with manure-encrusted underwear! :eek:🤣 Our people contaminants are probably worse, anyway. However, I have too much trouble peeling wet clothes off off my body, so would def remove before showering!

One of my two pairs of zip off pants is an Outdoor Research brand - the colour ‘Mud’ sealed the deal
I first learned of the Camino through my remarkable late mother-in-law Barbara who walked the Camino Frances in 1985. She was an artist working at first in precious metals but later in textiles. I've always been a shy and retiring person and that is pretty much reflected in my clothes. Barbara once summed up my wardrobe choices in one word: "Mud!" Then she immediately softened the blow by qualifying her comment: "Classy mud!". I owe the lady an enormous debt :)

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The difference between damp underwear and dry underwear is about 10 minutes.

I tend to rotate socks during the day so 3 pairs is the number. Although that might increase to 4. About 80 gms (I can't remember exactly) "penalty" for a lot of upside in foot care.

To set this up:

a) My day has been spent baking bread, splitting firewood, making seedcakes for the birds (it has turned COLD), and now getting crab soup on the stove for dinner.

b) I am enjoying some tinto and reveal that only, in case, the following suffers from a lack of continuity.

c) My last walk was in 2017 AND... I may have missed reporting on this topic from anyone walking in the "Covid Era".

"Hi, my name is B and I am a double-sock person". Three pairs of socks, both liner and heavy are non-negotiable with me. I have quite a few t-shirts from having "been there, done that" without that extra pair and, well.... non-negotiable. (Even 3 pairs did not save my attempt at the Invierno in the winter of 2016.)

"Wash one, wear one, and a spare" is my vote. This is simply because, as my last walk was in 2017, I have no idea how many of the late-blossoming lodgings with laundry facilities are still available NOW and/or into the near future. In 2012, I was glad of the practice. From 2014 on, it seemed less necessary.

With the exception of the Winter 2016 adventure, my other Caminos have been "shoulder season". No matter the "stats", it is best to count on some wet. And then, then! is where one really comes to appreciate merino baselayers.

Let's get real simple about this....

By the time a certain age is achieved, each of us has a self-authored encyclopedia of "Things That Do Not Work for Me".

Just ask yourself which decision is likely to get added to those pages.....and do the other choice.

B

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Re washing clothes en route: I have never used washers/dryers on the Camino, since I travel alone and don't have enough to warrant a machine. The one notable exception was Albergue Quinta Estrada Romana in Portugal, where the Canadian owner took all my clothes away and put them in his machine! However, one thing to remember is that all the hand washing can make your hands sore, so please take a good supply of hand cream.

Re washing clothes en route: I have never used washers/dryers on the Camino, since I travel alone and don't have enough to warrant a machine.
I travel alone also, but usually can find a couple of other pilgrims to share the load.
However, one thing to remember is that all the hand washing can make your hands sore, so please take a good supply of hand cream.
That's another benefit of washing the clothes in a dry bag. You don't have to spend a lot of time with your hands in soapy water.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Since it takes me a whole day to get to Europe (plus a 4-5 hour drive to get to the airport), I visit friends in various countries either at the begging or the end of my Camino. This requires me to bring a variety of clothing suitable to various climes, since I travel during shoulder seasons. My "uniform" for my flights is a long skirt and a shirt and a flimsy low cut pair of socks that I wear with my hiking shoes or boots (I change to my flipflops once the plane is underway). For my walk, I usually have 2 pairs of lightweight trousers and 2 tops. I have a sleep shirt. No matter what, I bring 4-5 pairs of socks to wear during my walk, since as we know your feet are your life on such journeys. I cut off a tiny chunk of Zote (a bar of soap from Mexico) to do my handwashing. I keep the weight of the pack around 7 kg.
I will tell you a story from years ago when I splurged and used a washing machine at an albergue in Pamplona. The next morning I put on clean underwear and was bedazzled how wonderful it felt. Even after all these years, I remember the sheer delight at this simple pleasure. When I am grumpy about some (ridiculous) slight the universe has dealt me, I think of that underwear and feel gratitude for all the many blessings I have.

Since it takes me a whole day to get to Europe (plus a 4-5 hour drive to get to the airport), I visit friends in various countries either at the begging or the end of my Camino. This requires me to bring a variety of clothing suitable to various climes, since I travel during shoulder seasons. My "uniform" for my flights is a long skirt and a shirt and a flimsy low cut pair of socks that I wear with my hiking shoes or boots (I change to my flipflops once the plane is underway). For my walk, I usually have 2 pairs of lightweight trousers and 2 tops. I have a sleep shirt. No matter what, I bring 4-5 pairs of socks to wear during my walk, since as we know your feet are your life on such journeys. I cut off a tiny chunk of Zote (a bar of soap from Mexico) to do my handwashing. I keep the weight of the pack around 7 kg.
I will tell you a story from years ago when I splurged and used a washing machine at an albergue in Pamplona. The next morning I put on clean underwear and was bedazzled how wonderful it felt. Even after all these years, I remember the sheer delight at this simple pleasure. When I am grumpy about some (ridiculous) slight the universe has dealt me, I think of that underwear and feel gratitude for all the many blessings I have.
I took light blue socks on my first Camino, and hand washed them every day bar one (Pamplona). I didn't even notice as they slowly turned grey. Imagine my surprise when I washed them at home and they were blue again!
On my next Camino I took merino blend socks, and about 2 weeks in, the hospitalera took the laundry and delivered it back dry, I had to buy new socks as they shrunk to a dolls size. And the sleeves were so tight I had to cut the seam to make them wearable. I had to buy more. Im pretty sure the culprit was a very hot dryer.
Now I stick to hand washing most days, and just put up with the dirt build up - occasionally renting an apartment with a washing machine - but not using the dryer.
Now I take a spare pair of socks though. Two of every thing else, but an extra pair of socks just in case.

Last edited:
Hello Fellow Pilgrims,

Acknowledging the need for a sleeping bag due the withdrawal of blankets in albergues I am looking for advice in the washing and drying facilities in alberques. I have only completed two short Caminos, the first I made the beginners mistake and carried too much clothes so facilities was not an immediate issue. My second Camino I attempted to reduce the quantity of clothing but fell foul of the weather, heavy rain and damp conditions resulted in washed but undried clothes.

I am definitely a wear one, wash one, spare one. On my first Camino I went with wear one, wash one and it was a real pain to have to do laundry every day for 5 weeks. Second Camino I had a spare set of clothes and it made it so much better. The spare consists of an extra under short, shirt and socks, but not extra trousers. Not much weight added since I used light weight breathable stuff.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Love this! I got some laundry sheets for Christmas, for this very purpose. I was planning on washing in the sinks and would carry a universal plug - the dry bag is easier and so much lighter! Great idea, and one I will adopt.

I have always brought a spare set of clothes. I just LOVE the feel of a clean set after a shower at the end of the day and sometimes just can skip a day of doing laundry this way. The extra weight of 1 extra set (1 short sleeve T shirt, 1 pair of underpants ad 1 pair of socks,) is not that much. I have 2 pairs of very light biking shorts and 1 pair of long leggings. This has worked just fine for me. But as usual , it's all about personal preference.

Love this! I got some laundry sheets for Christmas, for this very purpose. I was planning on washing in the sinks and would carry a universal plug - the dry bag is easier and so much lighter! Great idea, and one I will adopt.
And you can use the dry bag to hold your sleeping gear or something else.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Re washing clothes en route: I have never used washers/dryers on the Camino, since I travel alone and don't have enough to warrant a machine. The one notable exception was Albergue Quinta Estrada Romana in Portugal, where the Canadian owner took all my clothes away and put them in his machine! However, one thing to remember is that all the hand washing can make your hands sore, so please take a good supply of hand cream.
I do like the occasional machine wash. So, I just send out a loud offer in the Albergue to have other pilgrims give me their clothes to fill up my load. Sharing is caring

To add to my post - the dry bag and laundry detergent strips that I use together weighed 2.7 ounces for a 6 week Camino.

Last edited:
the "wear one, wash one" approach

I'm in the wear one wash one group with an extra pair of socks. When I was crossing the Pyrenees in April I did take a ratty old pair of long underwear and gloves which I tossed when I reached Pamplona.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well I actually had already deleted this comment, before yours, because I realised I hadn’t explained the scenario well and made the belated realisation that it would inevitably attract this sort of response. Thankfully for fellow pilgrims I typically take private rooms these days and, in any case, pride myself on cleaning the shower down after use so that’s it’s often found cleaner than when I arrived. So no cause for concern 😉

I deleted mine, too. It seems I misread what your post had intended. :)

Hello Fellow Pilgrims,

Only with socks. The third pair came in useful a couple of times

Hi,

Like many other ones : wear one, wash one. Except for socks (3 pairs in total), which dry slowly and could hurt your feet if worn semi-damp.

In autumn, I may bring one piece of a warmer item (especially a long-arm T-shirt), which will be also a kind of spare item.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I’ve always thought that a laundromat on the Camino could make some extra money by selling paper/disposable clothes that you could wear while doing laundry. Or they could rent you surgical scrubs which they could launder after use. Either way, you could then wash all of your clothes.

€83,-
Who knew this post would make me laugh so?!? First, thank you for mentioning the lack of blankets... I'll need to rethink my pack for this year and add that sleeping bag back in. My approach is totally different to the mainstream here... my approach is to pack what I think I need then add in a few items that I want -- then consider the total weight. I add and subtract as needed, and finally I resolve to embrace my choices (and the resulting weight) and go forth. I definitely tend toward the 'spare one' (or two) but benefit from carrying super lightweight hiking skirts and leggings. I find the minimalism that others embrace so easily still remains out of my reach, although I am improving. Having 'stuff' with me that brings me joy--even if it is just a clean set of clothing for the evening, or a fruity smelling lotion--is part of my camino. Buen Camino All!

Always trying to be disciplined about not packing too much … But my ‘luxury’ item is a lightweight ‘shesh’ I bought in Morocco - scarf, sarong, towel, something to sit on, picnic cloth, privacy curtain when sleeping in a bottom bunk. As bought it was too large, so it’s been cut down to make two. It can also double as a stylish (?) wrap for evenings 😎

I took light blue socks on my first Camino, and hand washed them every day bar one (Pamplona). I didn't even notice as they slowly turned grey. Imagine my surprise when I washed them at home and they were blue again!
On my next Camino I took merino blend socks, and about 2 weeks in, the hospitalera took the laundry and delivered it back dry, I had to buy new socks as they shrunk to a dolls size. And the sleeves were so tight I had to cut the seam to make them wearable. I had to buy more. Im pretty sure the culprit was a very hot dryer.
Now I stick to hand washing most days, and just put up with the dirt build up - occasionally renting an apartment with a washing machine - but not using the dryer.
Now I take a spare pair of socks though. Two of every thing else, but an extra pair of socks just in case.
When I did my 2016 Camino with my son, I thought I would be hand washing every day. But I found that clothing for the two of us every other day (4 sets) made a perfect load for the washing machine. So I tried to arrange it, where feasible, so that we were in an albergue with a washing machine every other day. Hand washing to me seemed to help one hold one's own in the battle against dirty clothes while machine washing was a definite victory.

On my 2018 Camino Portugues by myself I did a bit more hand washing, but looked for others to share a machine where possible.

Having 'stuff' with me that brings me joy--even if it is just a clean set of clothing for the evening, or a fruity smelling lotion--is part of my camino.
I agree. I'm not in competition for the lightest pack award. I carry what makes me comfortable so long as I can comfortably carry it.

Hello Fellow Pilgrims,

Only 2 pair of pants for me. I'd wear and hand wash my pants which zipped to shorts, but I had 3 pairs of quick dry socks, underwear and shirts. Used a machine once. It did a poor job drying and was unreliable. I hand washed the entire camino minus the first day. I brought this along to dry where I stayed if it rained or there wasn't space on the available clothesline.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I’ve always thought that a laundromat on the Camino could make some extra money by selling paper/disposable clothes that you could wear while doing laundry. Or they could rent you surgical scrubs which they could launder after use. Either way, you could then wash all of your clothes.

You can also wear your poncho while washing all your clothes. Saw someone do that when they had to wash everything because of bedbugs. Everybody had a good laugh, but it worked!

You can also wear your poncho while washing all your clothes. Saw someone do that when they had to wash everything because of bedbugs. Everybody had a good laugh, but it worked!
When I had a bed bug scare I wore a towel while a hospitalera washed all my clothes.
Another time I washed and dried everything at a laundromat. There was no private space to change my clothes, so I used my poncho as a changing room.

Well, it's clear that my wife and I are outliers on this topic. Since mid-way of our first camino in 2015, my wife used Jakotrans to transport her backpack every day. Ditto in 2017, 2019, 2021. Having carried my backpack the first three caminos, I also used Jacotrans for our camino last fall. We have run into many peregrinos that boast about hand washing their clothes each afternoon. We savor our time upon arrival and prefer to enjoy the town, sipping wine in Plaza Mayor, and not spend time doing laundry every day. Since we now use Jacotrans, there is even less a concern about backpack weight.

We've always brought 4 pairs of socks and sock liners, shirts, underwear which allows us to walk at least three days before doing laundry. Our shirts and socks are merino wool; we sometimes walk an additional day or two before we need to do laundry. We both have rugged Fjallraven hiking shorts and pants that can last a week before cleaning. Since we hike CF each time, we have a good understanding which albergues have washing machines. Many towns have public laundrymats as well.

Due to Cindi's stress fracture, I may be hiking CF solo in 2023. I will use Jacotrans again, but may wear my merino wool clothes two days each before changing so this would allow me to hike almost a week before washing. Bob

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have a very strong opinion on this question, but I give it not with a directive to do what I do, but rather with the hope that you will take all the opinions you get and figure out what works for you!

Since you will be on the Francés, the availability of washers and dryers will likely make this a non-issue, but even without that luxury, I think that with quick-dry clothes (essential, IMO), the ”spare one” is unnecessary. If you are at a time and place where drying by morning is unlikely, just wear what you are wearing for another day. That means you will have clean clothes when you get to the next place where you can wash what you are wearing.

If you really need to wash something, and dryers are not available, and clothes won’t dry on their own, a night in a pensión/hotel will solve your problem. Use the bath towel to wring out the clothes and they will dry. I frequently hang wrung-out clothes all around the room on hangers — from the overhead TV stand, from door knobs, etc.

Buen camino, Laurie
I have done too and works wonders

I've never met anyone who 'boasted' about hand washing their clothes. For many, it's a necessity. If I tell anyone outside the camino that I wash my clothes by hand everyday when hiking, and only take two or three shirts, they pity me at best. Nothing to boast about, just the way it is.

Believe it or not, it is still possible to enjoy the camino and have time off in town, even if you need to wash clothes daily... it only takes ten minutes after all!!!

€83,-
I've never met anyone who 'boasted' about hand washing their clothes. For many, it's a necessity. I
Hi,
In fact, washing is not a problem. Wet is washed, as the saying goes in the military. But drying is the problem, especially when the days shorten (September/October). Yes, you're better off if bringing a piece of cord, twisting the wet items inside some dry towel, hanging them on the backpack if the sun shines...

edited : typo

Last edited:
Hello Fellow Pilgrims,

In my humble opinion wear one wash one. Easier to manage. As an ensemble, change underpants, T-shirt and socks every second day, after all you are showering every day. I wash them that afternoon as soon as I arrive at an alburgue. Therefore you have two days for them to dry - hopefully fully. If you put on not fully dry clothing, besides being uncomfortable, they stink in no time. Also keep an eye/nose on your towel. I wash mine every fourth day.

One set (shirt, socks and underpants) on, one freshly laundered and one spare. If I'm wearing trail runners a forth pair of docks.
Until the day before Santiago that is when one set is binned rather than washed leaving me one set for the last day's walk and one set to go home in.
By the end of a Camino everything looks grey and I really don't want to wear it again after a month's rotation.
The only time I used a private hostal laundry service a white "tech" teeshirt came back with a grey hand print on the back . .

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have many years of hotel laundry experience also; being too parsimonious to ever send anything unnecessarily to be service washed; even when spending my former employers’ money.

Quick drying is assisted (obviously) by effective dewatering. Rolling t-shirts or underwear in a towel (ideally the hotel’s) and treading on the rolled towel for a few minutes gets an amazing amount of water out.

The ‘anti-theft’ hangers to be found in many hotel rooms - the ones with no hook, just a metal rod with a mushroomed top - can be defeated with a short loop of string and suspended in the bathroom to assist drying.

A tiny bottle of cold-water laundry detergent is more effective than a bar of soap and gets me through two weeks of laundry. It’s certainly lighter than another unnecessary set of clothes. I do, however, abhor sleeping in clothes which I will wear during the day; so I found a set of ultra-light boxers and t-shirt to sleep in. (www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk)

My spare set of clothes are identical to my other set.

I was once chucked out of a hotel in Braga where the display of my drying underwear on the balcony was directly opposite the Archbishops office and he phoned the hotel to complain.
🤗 excellent suggestions! I love your ideas about darker colors and that your spare set is identical to your other.

I did the wear one, wash one, spare one on the CF this past Sept/Oct. Depending on weather and time of arrival, you may not be able to air dry clothes overnight. Some of these brands might be US specific, but I had a short-sleeved synthetic UnderArmour t-shirt, a long-sleeved light-weight Smartwool Merino shirt, and a long-sleeved synthetic Columbia PFG SPF-50 shirt with hoodie (meant to protect your neck while fishing in the sun, not for warmth). I also threw a light-weight quick-drying Eddie Bauer button-up shirt into my backpack at the last minute, which I only wore in the evenings and in the days after arrival in Santiago.

I wore a pair of Columbia zip-off trousers every day as shorts for walking, with the exception of only 2 or 3 times that I zipped on the bottoms. I found the bottoms stayed much cleaner (less mud) when they were in my pack! I did bring another pair of long pants, which were Eddie Bauer Travex. I've used them for travel many times as they are also synthetic and quick drying, but I ended up only using them in the evenings instead of for walking and so didn't need to wash them as frequently. But if the zip-offs were still wet in the morning, I had that option.

Three pair of ExOfficio underwear and three pair of DarnTough ankle high socks, but I could have survived with two pair of the underwear as they dry incredibly quickly. There were several days when I had to pin a pair of socks to my pack to finish drying. Fortunately, on the CF the sun is at your back most of the day while walking, so they always were dry by the time I reached my destination.

I used washers (and sometimes a dryer if available) 4 or 5 times if for some reason I was not able to hand-wash the previous day. I would recommend bringing one of those light flat rubbery stoppers, as many sinks did not have one. I did NOT have one, and stuffing a sock at the bottom of the sink only slows down drainage slightly.

The only really rainy day was the day I arrived in Burgos (3 October), and I used a laundromat to ensure everything would dry. The next morning is was 1C when I left Burgos, so I layered my merino shirt, Marmot fleece jacket, and Outdoor Research rain jacket to keep warm. There were several other days on the Meseta like this due to the change of seasons and the ~900M elevation, but it usually warmed up to around 20C after a few hours and I could shed layers as I went.

If you go in the summer time and stay in hotels you could go with just the clothes on your back, a toothbrush, phone charger, and rain jacket. Just wash your clothes before going to bed at night. Downside is you wouldn't be showering and washing clothes before dinner. I'm not ready to try this yet myself.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.