• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wearable Robotic Equipment for the Modern Pilgrim

jirit

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007,
Via Francigena Italy, 2008,
Jakobsweg Austria 2010,
Camino Frances 2011,
Le Puy to Lourdes 2012,
Via de la Plata 2013,
Future:
Ökumenischer (Via Regia), Germany,
Lycian Way, Turkey
Just in time maybe for the 2021 Holy Year?

Imagine if you had a magical pair of trousers that made your backpack feel just that bit lighter, or that preserved the fluid joint movements of your youth as you age.

This is slowly becoming a reality.

In a study published Thursday in the Journal of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation, researchers at Harvard University lay out their latest updates on an exosuit that they’ve been working on for the last two years.

“The aim is to develop wearable robots that can augment the performance of healthy individuals by reducing their energy expenditure when walking with heavy loads,” said Conor Walsh, study co-author and an associate professor of engineering and applied sciences at Harvard, over email.

The exosuit is made up of a waist belt, two thigh pieces, and two calf straps. Cables connect these to two motors mounted on a backpack. The suit activates when the wearer starts walking, transferring energy from the motors via the cables to the wearer, and putting an extra spring in their step. The researchers envision that it could be used in military, medical, and recreational applications.

https://motherboard.vice.com/read/t...twitter.com&utm_campaign=Epoca+Now+via+Buffer

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
No "true pilgrim" would use it.

But the real question for debate here is whether "robogrinos" should receive the Compostella, as robotic underwear gets us that much closer to daily life in a field of stars. And maybe the pilgrim's office could ask Watson whether the robogrinos walked for religious or spiritual or cultural or athletic or sheer hedonistic reasons by analyzing their sellos and sensor data in the robotic exoskeleton. And prospective robogrinos can plan their dates using a 360 day weather forecast.

Just in time maybe for the 2021 Holy Year?

Imagine if you had a magical pair of trousers that made your backpack feel just that bit lighter, or that preserved the fluid joint movements of your youth as you age.

This is slowly becoming a reality.

In a study published Thursday in the Journal of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation, researchers at Harvard University lay out their latest updates on an exosuit that they’ve been working on for the last two years.

“The aim is to develop wearable robots that can augment the performance of healthy individuals by reducing their energy expenditure when walking with heavy loads,” said Conor Walsh, study co-author and an associate professor of engineering and applied sciences at Harvard, over email.

The exosuit is made up of a waist belt, two thigh pieces, and two calf straps. Cables connect these to two motors mounted on a backpack. The suit activates when the wearer starts walking, transferring energy from the motors via the cables to the wearer, and putting an extra spring in their step. The researchers envision that it could be used in military, medical, and recreational applications.

https://motherboard.vice.com/read/t...twitter.com&utm_campaign=Epoca+Now+via+Buffer

Actually the advances are already here. Check out the levitation knee brace.

Brace1.png

They begin shipping in September this year.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
No "true pilgrim" would use it.

But the real question for debate here is whether "robogrinos" should receive the Compostella, as robotic underwear gets us that much closer to daily life in a field of stars. And maybe the pilgrim's office could ask Watson whether the robogrinos walked for religious or spiritual or cultural or athletic or sheer hedonistic reasons by analyzing their sellos and sensor data in the robotic exoskeleton. And prospective robogrinos can plan their dates using a 360 day weather forecast.

The pilgrim office will have to add another category - by foot, by bike, by bike, or by robotics?

Actually the advances are already here. Check out the levitation knee brace. They begin shipping in September this year.
Yikes! Each is $1750 though they claim some insurance will cover the cost. Though maybe this style brace would have made my post Camino knee tendonitis more comfortable...

If someone who was destined for life in a wheelchair and was able to walk the Camino in a robosuit, I'll bet he or she would be there at his/her chosen starting point in jig time. (Meaning fast: a jig is a fast little tune.)
These exosuits are one of many wonders humans have created, to (for one) provide more freedom for people who want more from life than what four wheels can provide them. (Not that they are not grateful for the wheelchairs they have; but the exoskeletons will/can offer far more modility.
I'd say if someone arrived at the Pilgrim's Office after traveling--walking--100 or 400 or 800 km by such technology, the volunteers would happily present a Compostela to him or her, as a true pilgrim arriving into Santiago! I would! :)

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I can definitely see the breakthroughs for those with physical disabilities and restrictions, but for a healthy, non-disabled or restricted person? No way. I would have to wonder, why? The human body is made to be worked physically otherwise muscles atrophy.

We are already in world where people are using artificial devices to replace worn body parts (knees, hips, pace makers, insulin pumps, etc) and wearables (orthopaedic soles, shoes, glasses, tights, dentures, etc) to enhance and/or provide support.

Humans over the centuries have used clothing, devices, equipment to offer security, protection, safety, mobility, accessibility, and modesty.

This trend will only continue. Even in a short amount of time, the smart phone has become a necessary wearable.

Just a matter of time when bio nano digital manufacturing will be used to create custom bionic parts, organs and tissues. Think artificial ears, eyes, limbs, organs, etc.

Might be hard one day to decide which pilgrims are human and which are bionic.

Even today very few of us can call ourselves 100 % organic pilgrims, whatever that might mean.

Last edited:
Even today very few of us can call ourselves 100 % organic pilgrims, whatever that might mean.
Like the frozen, plastic smile I wear when suffering through a total lack of charity? :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.