• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

wearing a backpack over a pacemaker -- any problem?

Time of past OR future Camino
2023 Podiensis, Olvidado, Invierno
I'm having a pacemaker implanted March 10 to correct a slow heart rate, sometimes in the 20s. My cardiologist says I should be fine for the Camino in late May. The device will be placed just below the left clavicle. I'm wondering about the pressure of the left shoulder strap of the backpack on the pacemaker, either being uncomfortable or in any way affecting the safety and function of the pacemaker. I'm hoping somebody on the forum who has a pacemaker has experience with this. I see the cardiologist March 2 and will ask the question and even take my pack to the appointment for discussion, but there's nothing like hearing from experienced hikers who have dealt with the issue. My training is going very well and looking forward to the Primitivo.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If your backpack is fitted good you should not have an issue. Utilize the waist strap to keep the weight off your shoulders. If your cardiologist says it's good go for it.

Burn Camino

The pressure shouldn't affect the pacemakers function, but if the strap isn't padded, or the skin doesn't heal well, it might be uncomfortable. Bring the pack. And make sure the pack doesn't use a magnet....

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The pressure shouldn't affect the pacemakers function, but if the strap isn't padded, or the skin doesn't heal well, it might be uncomfortable. Bring the pack. And make sure the pack doesn't use a magnet....
Do you have a pacemaker?

I hope you give some feedback after you see your doctor. I had a pacemaker installed last year and the idea of it being an issue with a backpack never popped into my head. There is a slight lump in my upper left chest which certainly would be in contact with the straps on my pack. Huh?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Had defibrillator implanted end of October and on 16 Jan walked Ferrol - Santiago - Finisterre. No problems with pack at all. Similar sized "box" to pacemaker.

Good luck

I'm having a pacemaker implanted March 10 to correct a slow heart rate, sometimes in the 20s. My cardiologist says I should be fine for the Camino in late May. The device will be placed just below the left clavicle. I'm wondering about the pressure of the left shoulder strap of the backpack on the pacemaker, either being uncomfortable or in any way affecting the safety and function of the pacemaker. I'm hoping somebody on the forum who has a pacemaker has experience with this. I see the cardiologist March 2 and will ask the question and even take my pack to the appointment for discussion, but there's nothing like hearing from experienced hikers who have dealt with the issue. My training is going very well and looking forward to the Primitivo.
I've walked a few without any problems. Note: I've had a pacemaker for more than twenty years. A new one might be more sensitive the the straps.

I have had my Pacemaker for 4 year now. When I started carrying my osprey 32 liter backpack 2 months after my operation I did have a little discomfort but nothing that prevented me from carrying the pack. I do adjust the waist strap to hold most of the weight. My pack weights around 20 lbs.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My wife has a pacemaker and it was actually pretty challenging to carry a backpack before we figured out a way to do it so that there was no pressure on the leads or battery (she is thin so can feel the leads and the battery just below her clavicle). She ended up not carrying her backpack on our first Camino and did a lot of research before our second one.

She used the waist straps to take most of the load but it was still difficult to do up the thin strap across her chest that attaches to the shoulder straps. She contact Osprey and their team made a modification to the strap pattern so that there was a small strap attached to front of each of the shoulder straps - these criss-crossed across the front of her body in a way that missed the area under her clavicle and therefore the leads and the battery.

In addition to this, she bought small sponges at a dollar store in Spain (they were dense cleaning sponges that were covered with terry cloth) to raise the straps further off her shoulders and this also helped to keep the straps away from the pacemaker battery and leads.

So, in our experience, it wasn’t as simple as getting a backpack that fit well. Osprey was amazing in helping us to figure out a way to adapt the straps so that her backpack worked for her. I believe there is also a company out of Australia that makes a pack that has this sort of strap pattern but it‘s been years since we looked into it and I can’t remember the name of the company.

Good luck!

My wife has a pacemaker and it was actually pretty challenging to carry a backpack before we figured out a way to do it so that there was no pressure on the leads or battery (she is thin so can feel the leads and the battery just below her clavicle). She ended up not carrying her backpack on our first Camino and did a lot of research before our second one.

She used the waist straps to take most of the load but it was still difficult to do up the thin strap across her chest that attaches to the shoulder straps. She contact Osprey and their team made a modification to the strap pattern so that there was a small strap attached to front of each of the shoulder straps - these criss-crossed across the front of her body in a way that missed the area under her clavicle and therefore the leads and the battery.

In addition to this, she bought small sponges at a dollar store in Spain (they were dense cleaning sponges that were covered with terry cloth) to raise the straps further off her shoulders and this also helped to keep the straps away from the pacemaker battery and leads.

So, in our experience, it wasn’t as simple as getting a backpack that fit well. Osprey was amazing in helping us to figure out a way to adapt the straps so that her backpack worked for her. I believe there is also a company out of Australia that makes a pack that has this sort of strap pattern but it‘s been years since we looked into it and I can’t remember the name of the company.

Good luck!

Many backpack manufacturers incorporate the ability to move the sternum strap up or down vertically so that the best location across the chest can be used. For those wanting that feature, be sure to check for it when evaluating a backpack for purchase.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
“Experienced hikers” are voicing their own generallly unprofessional opinions. Be guided by your cardiologist’s professional answer. Bringing your weighted pack to your March 2 appointment should give you the answer you need.

I have known backpackers who had pacemakers implanted. One mentioned that he discussed carrying a backpack with the cardiologist, and that the implantation was done in an area which avoided having the straps in direct contact with the implant site. I would ask the cardiologist if that would be feasible for you.

I hope you give some feedback after you see your doctor. I had a pacemaker installed last year and the idea of it being an issue with a backpack never popped into my head. There is a slight lump in my upper left chest which certainly would be in contact with the straps on my pack. Huh?
The pacemaker was implanted Mar 10, then a left atrial appendage closure device (Watchman) Mar 25. I hiked with a pack today for the first time since the surgery, 10.5 miles (17 km), and had no problems with the shoulder strap over the pacemaker. There is still the slightest tenderness along the incision but the strap didn't irritate it. The pacemaker made an obvious positive difference in strength on steep hills. Heading to Villaviciosa 19 May to begin the Primitivo.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The pacemaker was implanted Mar 10, then a left atrial appendage closure device (Watchman) Mar 25. I hiked with a pack today for the first time since the surgery, 10.5 miles (17 km), and had no problems with the shoulder strap over the pacemaker. There is still the slightest tenderness along the incision but the strap didn't irritate it. The pacemaker made an obvious positive difference in strength on steep hills. Heading to Villaviciosa 19 May to begin the Primitivo.
Keep me posted. This week my cardiologist stooped the Xarelto and the Amerodereone.

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.