• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wearing runners or trainers on the Camino

Colstarwalker

Time of past OR future Camino
September (2018)
Hi there,

I am walking from Astorga to Santiago in September. It will be my first time on the Camino. I feel that a lot of walking shoes I have tried are quite heavy. I have been walking a lot lately wearing a pair of ASICS Duomax and I feel very comfortable with them.

I would value the opinion of experienced walkers regarding footwear and particularly their thoughts on wearing runners / trainers (good idea?, bad idea?, recommended brands etc).

Thank you.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi there,

I am walking from Astorga to Santiago in September. It will be my first time on the Camino. I feel that a lot of walking shoes I have tried are quite heavy. I have been walking a lot lately wearing a pair of ASICS Duomax and I feel very comfortable with them.

I would value the opinion of experienced walkers regarding footwear and particularly their thoughts on wearing runners / trainers (good idea?, bad idea?, recommended brands etc).

Thank you.
Like many others, I wear lightweight trail running shoes on the Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There are many options on this as preference for Coke or Pepsi, however, these are the rules perfect Ray Jardine known as the father of lightweight backpacking.
1. If your pack is heavy, more than 10% to 15% of your body weight, you need boots.
2. If you are more than 10% over your ideal body weight and out of shape wear boots.
3. If you think you need ankle support, wear boots. However, people twist ankles in boots too but never blame it on not wearing running shoes.
4. A pound on you feet is like 5 pounds on your back.
5. Lastly, Wear whatever fits your feet and feels good remembering to go up a size because your feet will swell and break boots in. I wear my trail runners out of the box without a problem. Note that the cushioning in trail runners starts breaking down after 500 miles so they are a one Camino shoe.
My credentials..
I have hiked the entire Pacific Crest Trail twice, which is the length of 5 Caminios x2, each time in Trail running shoes without a blister or problem. Also I have climbed Mt. Rainier over 20 times, the last time for my 70th birthday and wearing my old hiking boots with crampons.
Be prepared for a flurry of options.

For 14 Caminos I have worn and been very happy with New Balance trail runners built on an SL-2 shoe last. (The shoe last is important because it has a narrow heel and a deep, wide toe box)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There are many options on this as preference for Coke or Pepsi, however, these are the rules perfect Ray Jardine known as the father of lightweight backpacking.
1. If your pack is heavy, more than 10% to 15% of your body weight, you need boots.
2. If you are more than 10% over your ideal body weight and out of shape wear boots.
3. If you think you need ankle support, wear boots. However, people twist ankles in boots too but never blame it on not wearing running shoes.
4. A pound on you feet is like 5 pounds on your back.
5. Lastly, Wear whatever fits your feet and feels good remembering to go up a size because your feet will swell and break boots in. I wear my trail runners out of the box without a problem. Note that the cushioning in trail runners starts breaking down after 500 miles so they are a one Camino shoe.
My credentials..
I have hiked the entire Pacific Crest Trail twice, which is the length of 5 Caminios x2, each time in Trail running shoes without a blister or problem. Also I have climbed Mt. Rainier over 20 times, the last time for my 70th birthday and wearing my old hiking boots with crampons.
Be prepared for a flurry of options.

Thank you Easygoing.

I always wear trail runners but we are all different so go for what is right for you

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Trail runners of different flavors are all good. Sizing is paramount. Make sure there’s enough toe room to accommodate your feet swelling as you walk. (Maybe a half size to a whole size longer than your normal street shoe)
There are some steep and rugged downhills in that section. If your toes bang against the ends of your shoes, you’ll be getting replacement toenails in a few weeks.

Regards,
Paul

Hi there,

Thank you.

Hi - I have walked three times - the two first times in walking boots (heavy) where I used 1000 miles socks which promise 'no blisters'. It was OK and I really had no blisters. I brought 5 pair of rather thin 1000 socks !! :-D Which I actually was happy with at a time (october) with really a lot of rain. The third walk I did in fivefinger shoes (and normal fivefinger socks), especially for walking in difficult terrain. I brought three pairs of fivefingers, one for walking, one for a rainy day and one for the evenings, and together they were far from weighing as much as my boots did . Before the fivefingers camino walk I trained and my feet, ankels and legs were very much used to walking in these shoes.
I have met people walking in all sorts of shoes, from sandals to military boots. I think it is very individual which shoe to walk in. There is a trend on buying all sorts of gear but it is not necessary. Find out the kind of shoes you are comfortable with
So great that you are going to walk- I wish you a Buen Comino
Reidun, Denmark

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi - I have walked three times - the two first times in walking boots (heavy) where I used 1000 miles socks which promise 'no blisters'. It was OK and I really had no blisters. I brought 5 pair of rather thin 1000 socks !! :-D Which I actually was happy with at a time (october) with really a lot of rain. The third walk I did in fivefinger shoes (and normal fivefinger socks), especially for walking in difficult terrain. I brought three pairs of fivefingers, one for walking, one for a rainy day and one for the evenings, and together they were far from weighing as much as my boots did . Before the fivefingers camino walk I trained and my feet, ankels and legs were very much used to walking in these shoes.
I have met people walking in all sorts of shoes, from sandals to military boots. I think it is very individual which shoe to walk in. There is a trend on buying all sorts of gear but it is not necessary. Find out the kind of shoes you are comfortable with
So great that you are going to walk- I wish you a Buen Comino
Reidun, Denmark

Thank you Reidun, y buen camino a ti. :)

+1 on all the other comments. I write only to add that if you have been walking many miles in your current pair, you might want to get another identical pair for the Camino, even if the soles still have miles on them. The midsoles can break down (basically, loss of cushion) first. And I never want that to happen on a long walk. No need to worry about break-in time (that is for stiff leather boots).

For what it's worth, my wife swears by Hoka Bondi trail runners (very, very cushy). They are too narrow for me, so I go with Brooks Ghost (for the concrete and asphalt) and Altra Timps (for dirt and gravel) (yes I carry two pairs of shoes--more important weight in my pack). Note there is a new version of the Altra Olympus out that might work for both. But honestly, try the ASICS on a couple of 15-mile training walks and if they are working for you, why change?

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

+1 on all the other comments. I write only to add that if you have been walking many miles in your current pair, you might want to get another identical pair for the Camino, even if the soles still have miles on them. The midsoles can break down (basically, loss of cushion) first. And I never want that to happen on a long walk. No need to worry about break-in time (that is for stiff leather boots).

For what it's worth, my wife swears by Hoka Bondi trail runners (very, very cushy). They are too narrow for me, so I go with Brooks Ghost (for the concrete and asphalt) and Altra Timps (for dirt and gravel) (yes I carry two pairs of shoes--more important weight in my pack). Note there is a new version of the Altra Olympus out that might work for both. But honestly, try the ASICS on a couple of 15-mile training walks and if they are working for you, why change?

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Many thanks Jo Jo.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi I walked from Leon to Santiago in June and I used Brookes running shoes. I had no problems and did not get one blister (I also used merion light weight socks). It rained a lot but my feet were fine. Next time (yes there will be a next time even if I told myseld during the walk I would never never do this again) I will also use Brooks ;) Greetings Anna

Hi I walked from Leon to Santiago in June and I used Brookes running shoes. I had no problems and did not get one blister (I also used merion light weight socks). It rained a lot but my feet were fine. Next time (yes there will be a next time even if I told myseld during the walk I would never never do this again) I will also use Brooks ;) Greetings Anna

Thank you AnnaKristin for your reply. May I ask how long it took you to walk from Leon to Santiago?

Thank you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Trail runners of different flavors are all good. Sizing is paramount. Make sure there’s enough toe room to accommodate your feet swelling as you walk. (Maybe a half size to a whole size longer than your normal street shoe)
There are some steep and rugged downhills in that section. If your toes bang against the ends of your shoes, you’ll be getting replacement toenails in a few weeks.

Regards,
Paul
For general advice about lacing check out REI Lacing.

If your runners have two holes at the top try Lock In Lacing

I tend to use shock cord lacing on trainers/runners - easier to tug tight or loosen between eyelets. Also on my boots - there are a lot of pubs around where I live that don't approve of muddy booted ramblers so the shock cords come off easily and you don't get 6 inches of muddy lace to tie up later.

Last edited:
For 14 Caminos I have worn and been very happy with New Balance trail runners built on an SL-2 shoe last. (The shoe last is important because it has a narrow heel and a deep, wide toe box)
What model and how do you get that last. I walked the CF in NB910 s and they were about perfect, but I think I felt all the rocks more than my North Face Ultras the second time, nut the North Face are heavier

Hi, ColstarWalker!

I'm also on the trail runner team, I wore Mizunos for both my caminos.
The main thing you have to have in mind is that you need shoes you feel comfortable walking in, because you will walk. A LOT.
Asics is a pretty good brand and, if they work for you, go with them!

You can read more about trail runners in this amazing post by @davebugg (the second post on this thread):
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...lecting-boots-for-our-walk.56181/#post-631603

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What model and how do you get that last. I walked the CF in NB910 s and they were about perfect, but I think I felt all the rocks more than my North Face Ultras the second time, nut the North Face are heavier

You have to ask the New Balance folks which shoes are built on that shoe last.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.