• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather & Advice for St Jean Pied de Port to Logrono last week of April to May 3

alikki1201

Time of past OR future Camino
5683Gato
Hi!

I'm planning my first 'taste' of the Camino (solo) to celebrate my 60 years on planet earth. I can't do the entire 35 days, so I'm going to do the first 8 days from St Jean to Logrono. I want to go at a time that is not totally crowded but does a vibrant group hiking. I want to go as soon as possible, but know that going through the Pyrenees too early in the season can be icy and that I would encounter difficult weather conditions. I looked at rain tables and see that April and May seem to be about the same - 10 days of some rain possible in both months. So I decided on starting my 8 day trek on April 25. Any thoughts about late April/Early May weather that time of year? Any other tips on what to see in that first part of the Camino? I'm going to spend an extra day in St Jean to check it out and get ready before I head out. Thanks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I started my Camino in 2013 on April 28th. The Route Napoleon was closed due to heavy snow so I walked the Valcarlos route. Some snow on the Col de Ibaneta, heavy rain when I left Roncesvalles the next day, rain in Pamplona and some really warm sunny days after the Alto del Perdon. So, like on every Camino: be prepared for every kind of weather!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Both routes are through the mountains, but the Napoleon is a bit higher. In the Pilgrim's Office in SJPdP people will tell you about the actual conditions on both routes.

I am 63 and overweight solo Pamplona to Santiago. This year SJPDP to Santiago with a friend to Astorga. Did reasonable preparation. Started on the 25th April. Had travelled from Paris starting 5:30am so booked ahead to stay in Orisson. This was great as we were on our way with a 7 km head start. We went over the pass to Roncevalles on Day 2. It was supper mist wet and cold with snow lying off the road at the top. No visibility.
The walk is on road and we arrived Roncevalles 4:15. A great day walked through a herd of horses. Bluebells in the woods lots of spring flowers.
Pamplona a long walk in but a great city to explore. Hail storm in Zariguiegui.
Loved the climb up to the Alto de Perdon great wind turbines but again too chilly to linger.
Storks and spring flowers. Any village with storks seemed a great place to stay.
I love Santo Domingo just so pretty.
May can be one of the busiest months on the Camino. Lots of Spanish holidays.
Whatever the weather or the numbers we loved it. Never unable to find a bed had to walk on a couple of times.
Be prepared and enjoy

Both routes are through the mountains, but the Napoleon is a bit higher. In the Pilgrim's Office in SJPdP people will tell you about the actual conditions on both routes.
Thanks. It’s booked and it’s too soon to obsess about weather so... just gonna be excited that it’s ahead! Thanks for your guidance

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I left in mid April twice. The first time, it was high winds and 5 C for the first couple days, then sunny, breezy, and 12-15 C for a few weeks. Then it started raining. We had some rain every day for the last two weeks, with about 18C for the high, 6 C in the mornings. Never saw a thing in O Cebreiro, it was foggy in mid afternoon. At the top of Cruz de Ferro, we didn't stay long, too cold and misty.

This past spring it rained out of the heavens for the first three days (epic flooding!), then the sun came out. We had ONE 20-minute shower (in Sahagun) after that. It was low 20's and glorious for the rest of the time. I walked the whole way in shorts and a T-shirt wearing sunscreen, although I started every morning with my fleece jacket until the sun did its thing. The rain started a few days later, and the June walkers got soaked.

You don't know what you are going to get, nobody does. Its not like southern California where the whether can be predicted years in advance, more like Texas where you might get a bit of everything, sometimes in the same day. You are also at 600-1500 meters in altitude most of the way. Be prepared for possible frosty mornings, and have a rain solution that you trust. With any luck, you won't need either, but you probably will. Have a fleece jacket for mornings and evenings, you'll need that for sure.

Buen Camino

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi!

I'm planning my first 'taste' of the Camino (solo) to celebrate my 60 years on planet earth. I can't do the entire 35 days, so I'm going to do the first 8 days from St Jean to Logrono. I want to go at a time that is not totally crowded but does a vibrant group hiking. I want to go as soon as possible, but know that going through the Pyrenees too early in the season can be icy and that I would encounter difficult weather conditions. I looked at rain tables and see that April and May seem to be about the same - 10 days of some rain possible in both months. So I decided on starting my 8 day trek on April 25. Any thoughts about late April/Early May weather that time of year? Any other tips on what to see in that first part of the Camino? I'm going to spend an extra day in St Jean to check it out and get ready before I head out. Thanks!

Just a small word of advice.
Only the " guide books " tell you that you have to complete the Camino Frances in 35 days. Some walk it in 60 days, others in 20 days.
So please do not focus too much on distances. You might reach Logroño in 8 days but you might do longer over this distance or you might end up more up West.
It is all good.
Ultreïa!

Is the Napoleon route the way through the mountains?
Yes but on spring it'd have too much snow to go by the Napoleon route. When you arrive in SJPP you have to go to pilgrim's office 39 rue de la citadelle there volunteers will give you all advices to start your "Camino"

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just a small word of advice.
Only the " guide books " tell you that you have to complete the Camino Frances in 35 days. Some walk it in 60 days, others in 20 days.
So please do not focus too much on distances. You might reach Logroño in 8 days but you might do longer over this distance or you might end up more up West.
It is all good.
Ultreïa!
Or, in the case of one Irish lady I met, 8 years!

Hi!

Watch out for May Day long weekend. It gets quite busy.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back