• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alert Weather alert on Napoleon Road

Topics realted to Hazards on the camino de Santiago
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The website of the pilgrim office has this link for weather:
I would assume that Port de Cize is the pass going over to Roncesvalles past Orisson but I am sure someone knows alot better than me and can clarify if my assumption is right.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The website of the pilgrim office has this link for weather:
I would assume that Port de Cize is the pass going over to Roncesvalles past Orisson but I am sure someone knows alot better than me and can clarify if my assumption is right.

The forecast is for the Col de Bentarte / Collado de Bentartea at 1337m the lower of the two passes on the R Napoleon. Lapoeder is higher at 1430m. Looks rough till at least Monday 4 April and the snow will take a while to clear. Anyone planning to start from St J in the next week - enjoy Valcarlos!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The forecast is for the Col de Bentarte / Collado de Bentartea at 1337m the lower of the two passes on the R Napoleon. Lapoeder is higher at 1430m. Looks rough till at least Monday 4 April and the snow will take a while to clear. Anyone planning to start from St J in the next week - enjoy Valcarlos!
I knew you would know, thanks

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Not just due to weather conditions. The Napoleon route is closed regardless of weather until April 1st.
Anyone planning to start from St J in the next week - enjoy Valcarlos!
Here's a picture taken the first week of April, when the Napoleon had been opened then closed again - due to weather conditions higher up - and we were directed to go via Valcarlos. (This was just when we exited the woods and continued on the road, when the real blizzard started with the snow coming in sideways. Yes, enjoy it Tinker, we did!)

IMAG2617.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am currently in SJPP. I see that valcarlos only has 24 beds, lots of pilgrims arrived today so hopefully everybody will safely get a bed somewhere tomorrow!

I am currently in SJPP. I see that valcarlos only has 24 beds, lots of pilgrims arrived today so hopefully everybody will safely get a bed somewhere tomorrow!
The Valcarlos albergue has 24 beds. However there are other places to stay in Valcarlos. See this list in Gronze. Many pilgrims walk directly from SJPdP through Valcarlos (without staying overnight ) to Roncesvalles where they stay.

There are no shops nor potabile water after Valcarlos until Roncesvalles; be prepared.

However you go
good luck and Buen camino.

Last edited:
Hola,
Why is the Napoleon Route closed but nobody closed Primitivo mountain passes?
I'm here in Hotel Nueva Allandesa in Pola de Allande and I am facing foot deep snow at Puerto de Palo tomorrow. ..
Hopefully it will be a penguin's foot deep snow!
There is a cold and wet front coming to Primitivo and the locals are warning about snow up there at Puerto de Palo (1146 m) and El Acebo (1110 m, border with Galicia)
I will probably walk mostly on the road towards Puerto de Palo and then from Montefurado down. I hope to get some nice winter scenery pictures!

Actually I wanted to say that Albergue Municipal in Pola de Allande is open again. I am in my private room at Nueva Allandesa, which also is worth recomending, good quality/price ratio.

It's like April Fools Day forecast. Am I still in Spain?

Screenshot_20220331-211701_ElTiempoes.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola,
Why is the Napoleon Route closed but nobody closed Primitivo mountain passes?
I'm here in Hotel Nueva Allandesa in Pola de Allande and I am facing foot deep snow at Puerto de Palo tomorrow. ..
Hopefully it will be a penguin's foot deep snow!
There is a cold and wet front coming to Primitivo and the locals are warning about snow up there at Puerto de Palo (1146 m) and El Acebo (1110 m, border with Galicia)
I will probably walk mostly on the road towards Puerto de Palo and then from Montefurado down. I hope to get some nice winter scenery pictures!

Actually I wanted to say that Albergue Municipal in Pola de Allande is open again. I am in my private room at Nueva Allandesa, which also is worth recomending, good quality/price ratio.

It's like April Fools Day forecast. Am I still in Spain?

View attachment 121664
I would recommend following the Camino path at least up as far as the Puerto. It’s remarkably wooded and sheltered. The road winds a lot which will stretch your distance and is pretty exposed at times.

Not too bad at Puerto del Palo! Easy to get here. There is mobile coverage at Puerto del Palo.

20220401_103127.jpg

btw: footsteps in the snow are mine

Screenshot_20220401-103759_My Elevation.jpg

Update:
Descent to Montefurado. Time consuming but doable

20220401_110106.jpg

Montefurado below snow line

20220401_114113.jpg

Update 3rd of April 2022:
Puerto del Acebo at 1100 m on the Camino Primitivo at the border between Asturias and Galicia is snow free.
20220402_120344.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wow. With all that snow the recently announced road works on that route are going to last much longer than November. It may stay closed all year!
Are you on the same route as Happy Penguin? By the way, it is past twelve o'clock where the Queen of England has her dinner.

The Valcarlos albergue has 24 beds. However there are other places to stay in Valcarlos. See this list in Gronze. Many pilgrims walk directly from SJPdP through Valcarlos (without staying overnight ) to Roncesvalles where they stay.

There are no shops nor potabile water after Valcarlos until Roncesvalles; be prepared.

However you go
good luck and Buen camino.
Yes i went through the Napoleon Route in April the year i did it and the snow was covering the roads the word in the albergue the night previous the Napoleaon was closed however before setting off from St JPDP i was giving the all clear setting off early that morning had my porridge up at the mountain top and the horses with bells around thier neck came to join me what an experience but care needed Chinese guy was lost and the clay on the boulders dscending into Roncesvalle another guy ripped his thigh after a fall and was taken to hospital most enjoyable part of my camino that year but take care

The route Napoleon is closed now since November 1st and will stay closed until April 1st or later, in case the circumstances are bad (snow on the mountain).

If you walk over the route Napoleon when it is closed and the police finds you there you will be fined for € 1.500,-- .

If you come into trouble on the Route Napoleon and have to be rescued by the bomberos the costs can be € 10.000,-- up to € 25.000,-- in case the helicopter has to fly out to save you. They will have to risk their liives to save you! So be prepared and take under all circumstances the route via Valcarlos.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.