• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather & Clothing - September 2017

Mark T17

Time of past OR future Camino
Kumano Kodo 2012
Frances Sept 2017 (bike)
Hi all,

I'm booked and ready to leave SJPDP on 16 September for SDC.

One issue which I am still grappling with is clothing, I'm checking weather forecasts for towns all along the Camino and this forum for tips, but seems like the best I can do is prepare for 4 seasons in 1 day. I live in Sydney Australia which has a mild climate and no snow in winter, I'm an average male that doesn't really feel the cold.

Would I be correct in saying that if I start most days around 7am, I will need to wear a fleece or long sleeve hiking shirt during the morning and change to a t shirt as the day warms up? I will be wearing shorts each day. Will I need to wear a fleece and track pants at night and over dinner? At this stage I'm planning on taking 2 fleeces - 1 for the days and 1 for nights. I'm also taking a gortex rain jacket but no warm down type jacket.

Thanks
M

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Instead of the second fleece, I suggest a long-sleeve base layer (merino perhaps). That way you can layer up towards the end of your trip when it is quite cool and likely rainy. The first week or two can be toasty though - so your "4 seasons in one day" might not be too far off base.

You might want long sleeves when you start in the morning, but try just a lightweight shirt over a t-shirt. Take off the long sleeved one when you warm up, although you might want to keep it on for sun protection. If you encounter cold weather, the rain jacket over the 2 shirts will probably be plenty while you are walking. In the evening you will likely need a light fleece and long pants. Track pants might be heavier and bulkier than necessary, so consider a light pair of pants. Also, think about what you will wear to sleep in - could be your evening pants and a second t-shirt or another very lightweight long sleeved base layer shirt such as @Kitsambler suggested.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked in Sept to Oct. You may even get a nip of frost some mornings towards the end. But 2 fleeces is probably too much. I don't think you need a down jacket either.
The goretex jacket is a good windbreaker.

I agree with the others - I would suggest:
2 short sleeve t shirts (gym type which dry very quickly)
1 thin but warm long sleeve mid layer (merino if you like it, or a thin manmade) which will layer over the t shirts and in extremis under the fleece. I have a Nike one which I love which has thumb holes to keep my mitts warm. These are what European runners wear in winter.
1 thin fleece
1 pair hiking shorts
1 pair long hiking trousers (NOT cotton track pants which are heavy and don't dry)
1 pair thin black thermal long johns to sleep in and to change into if you get wet through, and to layer under the trousers if it suddenly got really nippy. Choose a silky comfy pair, not the horrid polypropylene ones. You can also layer them under the shorts if you want to be mistaken for a Kiwi tramper ;)

I also take waterproof trousers but that's just me, I am British and we expect it to rain everywhere.

Last edited:
My plan is to start out with, pack, lighter weight clothes. Then buy warmer as needed along the way. Keeping the weight I carry as low as possible is important.

Start with one light weight long sleeve t-shirt and one med weight t-shirt to wear over the long sleeve shirt. Easy to take off a layer. Wind jacket over the two shirts will keep me warm in the mornings/evenings if needed. The long sleeved t-shirt will be left and a light weight fleece will take it's place. At least that is the plan. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi all,

One issue which I am still grappling with is clothing, I'm checking weather forecasts for towns all along the Camino and this forum for tips, but seems like the best I can do is prepare for 4 seasons in 1 day. I live in Sydney Australia which has a mild climate and no snow in winter, I'm an average male that doesn't really feel the cold.

Would I be correct in saying that if I start most days around 7am, I will need to wear a fleece or long sleeve hiking shirt during the morning and change to a t shirt as the day warms up? I will be wearing shorts each day. Will I need to wear a fleece and track pants at night and over dinner? At this stage I'm planning on taking 2 fleeces - 1 for the days and 1 for nights. I'm also taking a gortex rain jacket but no warm down type jacket.

Thanks
M

Likely to be warm. After 30 mns walk you will be sweating.

I walked September 1-o
Hi all,

Thanks
M
i walked September 1-oct7 and wore shorts the whole time and had no jacket but my packa raincoat . There were a few chilly mornings about 3 weeks in but my long sleeve shirt was enough. I'd bring one fleece.

Jim

I complement the observations above.

I currently start my training walks about 1 hour before sunrise (I have a choice of only going south or north and the first hour is on well lit roads) and begin with. Remember this is winter here with temperatures between 0c and 8c early in the morning

base layer - short sleeve merino - 120 gram weight
next layer - long sleeve merino - 160 gram
top layer - wind proof jacket (cyclist stle) - 150 gram - unzipped

Depending on wind and temperature I will put both outer layers in the pack shortly after sunrise - possibly keeping the wind jacket if the wind is too strong - but still unzipped.

In the pack I have a second short sleeve merino and long sleeve cotton shirt (for dress up when in the UK later) and a poncho.

Because my fingers feel the early cold, especially with the use of walking poles I have a pair of merino gloves

Kia kaha

PS: you seen the score for the first Bedisloe Cup game of a few hours ago?

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@AlwynWellington yes. It shall Not Be Mentioned. Warning to all members - do not ask a Kiwi how their team fared against Australia. They become disgustingly cocky. One could even say they gloat. For an Australian it is too, too depressing.

Sport is a banned topic on the forum, and it is also off topic. Phew!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks to all, great advice as always !

Buen Camino !

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back