• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather conditions for month of May. Inland route

hunsta

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2015 Portuguese 2023 Ingles 2023
Planning on doing the CP starting early May 2023. And was just wondering what the average weather conditions were like that time of year. I did the CF start of early May and it went from cool weather. To fairly hot in a matter of a couple of weeks.
Cheers

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Um.......? Yeah thanks for that. But that was a very hard weather site to make heads or tails out of. Just looking for an average temp for the month of May really.
Cheers
I dont recall there being a useful monthly average for the Frances either. Cool/Cold in the mornings to warm/hot/unbearable later in the day
We had teens to mid twenties earlier, and by June up to 43C, but then it was a heatwave, and chunks of Portugal were on fire.

I dont recall there being a useful monthly average for the Frances either. Cool/Cold in the mornings to warm/hot/unbearable later in the day
We had teens to mid twenties earlier, and by June up to 43C, but then it was a heatwave, and chunks of Portugal were on fire.
Yes well your right there. I do remember when I started the CF in May 2015. It was quite cool, going over the Pyrenees( as it would be). But then we walked a day about a week later that saw Spain's hottest day in over a century. So I understand that.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Um.......? Yeah thanks for that. But that was a very hard weather site to make heads or tails out of. Just looking for an average temp for the month of May really.
Cheers
Try this page: https://www.ipma.pt/en/oclima/normais.clima/1981-2010/ it shows 30 year averages, and if you use the right hand column headed Local Stations you can select for various locations along the various Portuguese routes.

PS: Average rainfall too under Select Variable / Precipitation

Cheers
I said it may rain or shine .
Because the north of Portugal and north west of Spain , where you want to walk are surrounded by the Atlantic ocean and what we call the gulf of Biscaye , the weather is rather unpredictable.

In the north of the Atlantic ocean around Iceland and the North Sea heavy storms and such arise and the weather in the Biscay gulf reacts on those storms .
In March and April the other day I was in Santiago and it was so cold and rainy that I had to buy warm cloths .
In the same time in the Netherlands where I come from almost the sparrows felt of the roof , so warm it was as a Dutch the expression says.
With the changing of the envirement and warming of the earth it is hardly to predict
Normaly here in May /June it is nice and sunny weather Now it was pourring with rain last week . in contraverse in Portugal and Galicia there was almost a heathwave

I won’t say you would take your woolen icecap with you and a thick winter coat but be prepared for storm, thunder and gails so an Altus or light raingear is wishfull to have in your backpack .So it may rain or shine.
I did not look into my crystal ball by tbe way. Unfortunately it is where we have to cope with climate changing ..

Last edited:
I said it may rain or shine . And you reward that answer with 🙁. Thank you.
Because the north of Portugal and north west of Spain , where you want to walk are surrounded by the Atlantic ocean and what we call the gulf of Biscaye , the weather is quiete unpredictable.

In the north of the Atlantic ocean around Iceland and the North Sea heavy storms and such arise and the weather in the Biscay gulf reacts on those storms .
In March and April the other day I was in Santiago and it was so cold and rainy that I had to buy warm cloths .
In the same time in the Netherlands where I come from almost the sparrows felt of the roof , so warm it was as a Dutch the expression says.
With the changing of the envirement and warming of the earth it is hardly to predict
Normaly here in May /June it is nice and sunny weather Now it was pourring with rain last week . in contraverse in Portugal and Galicia there was almost a heathwave

I won’t say you would take your woolen icecap with you and a thick winter coat but be prepared for storm, thunder and gails so an Altus or light raingear is wishfull to have in your backpack .So it may rain or shine.
I did not look into my crystal ball by tbe way. Unfortunately it is where we have to cope with climate changing . and that is a 😏🤭.
Thanks ever so much for that description of the what May ,may bring in the likes of weather in Northern Portugal.
I do apologise if you feel offended that I didnt reward or validate you with a different emoji. I guess I was just saddened by your answer of "it may rain or shine". An answer that could possibly describe any one of the 365 days of the year.
Thanks anyway.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back