• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather conditions now in June ??

liiluuk

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte (2018)
Good day to all! My plan was to start around 13 June in Irun and follow Camino until Bilbao or further, with an option of skipping some sections and continuing with Primitivo. First time on the camino for me...
But checkin the weather forecast, i am starting to have DOUBTS, as it looks super wet, chilly and cloudy all along the north coast..
If anyone can comment on this, whats the normal situation in June, and how bad it is really for walking , i would greatly appreciate.
And, what clothes do you recommend to bring (do i need proper stuff for cold and wet?/ can i get what i need there in Irun ?)
Gracias! :)

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It's definitely wet, but not particularly cold. For the most part it's been a really thick mist most of the day with a good soaking shower in the afternoon. I've been wearing my lightweight clothes with a poncho and haven't been cold at all.
Be sure to bring quick dry everything because nothing dries here - it's just too humid.

thank you.. omg - i am not really prepared for daily showers... is it possible to get things like poncho and some clothes for wet weather in Irun ?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I don't know - I brought my gear with me. Maybe other members can chime in?

Good day to all! My plan was to start around 13 June in Irun and follow Camino until Bilbao or further, with an option of skipping some sections and continuing with Primitivo. First time on the camino for me...
But checkin the weather forecast, i am starting to have DOUBTS, as it looks super wet, chilly and cloudy all along the north coast..
If anyone can comment on this, whats the normal situation in June, and how bad it is really for walking , i would greatly appreciate.
And, what clothes do you recommend to bring (do i need proper stuff for cold and wet?/ can i get what i need there in Irun ?)
its bucketing down in Galicia today, but the weather in general is forecast to get better next week!! I ham going to Burgos and it looks like its going to be sunny and in the 20sC.

The weather forecast was so bad we abandoned our plans to do the Primitivo after completing the Salvador on May 28th. Since we still had a couple of weeks to fill we went south instead. Everywhere we have been in Spain (north, central, south) we have been told the weather has been unusually bad or different from usual this year. Here in Granada where we are today they are enjoying the cooler temperatures than their normal June heat, but it was cold and wet all over the north for the last couple of weeks. A friend walking from Sarria to Santiago this week said it got as low as 8 Celsius during the rain one day this past week. But if you can organize yourself to be prepared for wet weather and have something warm and dry to change into when you get to your destination each day you should be okay.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I recently did a few days on the del Norte from San Sebastián to Deba and had a bit of rain each day. Wasn’t cold at all so a poncho was better than a rain jacket, which would have made me far too hot & sticky. I didn’t mind the clouds, rain, and mist because it was still really beautiful (and for me a nice change from drought-parched California). The bigger issue was that much of the trail was very, very muddy and slippery and made for very slow going. Lots of up & down on the del Norte, and since much of it is in shady forest, it’s slow to dry out even a few days after the rain stops. Make sure if you do this that you have good boots, not trainers. I made the mistake of wearing trainers and my socks and feet got wet and dirty. Wouldn’t have happened with the right footwear. Excessive mud can be make for a frustrating Camino. Still... I loved it. A muddy wet day on the Camino is better than a bright sunny day back home!

liiluuk, when you are in the albergue, ask the hospitalero if there is a dryer (secadora). Luckily, now you can often find one. This is the only help. :cool: My experience shows that if it rains there, you will get wet after a while, even if you have the best poncho. ;)

Last edited:
thank you.. omg - i am not really prepared for daily showers... is it possible to get things like poncho and some clothes for wet weather in Irun ?

I second @classicalfan ! I’m walking since May 15 and only walked in the rain one day (there were other 2 really rainy days, but I used that as an excuse to take rest days!) It’s definitely not cold while walking, just chilly in the evening/night.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The bigger issue was that much of the trail was very, very muddy and slippery and made for very slow going. Lots of up & down on the del Norte, and since much of it is in shady forest, it’s slow to dry out even a few days after the rain stops. Make sure if you do this that you have good boots, not trainers.

Good advice and reflects our experience in the mountains in the latter stages of the Salvador as we neared Oviedo. The most difficult part was not the wet but the terrain. Slippery wet stony paths turned to streams alternating with at times, ankle deep mud. We were glad of our ankle high boots and poles to keep our balance and not get injured. It could be very slow going in places. Our rain pants also protected us from being stung by nettles which lined some of the narrower pathways through the mountains. That all being said, loved the Camino del Salvador.

T'would be a bit of a pity skipping some sections beyond Bilbao in my honest opinion. Some great scenary along the coast. Each for their own I suppose.
As regards the weather currently, I'm not sure but heard there has been lots of rain there over the last few months. Normally it's fairly good there at this time of year, but has been unseasonably wet this year. You could always go to Irun and get what's needed there, it's a big enough city and the Albergue hospitaleros would give you plenty of advice as to where to get rain gear in the city, if needed.
All the best.

I left Irun on 5th June to full down pours of rain, the section for alpinists, forget it, could not see 50 metres. And thunder!
Since then, days of drizzle, usually some 30c sun. I am just managing with bag liner, light weight sleeping bag would have been better.
Having good days of weather and some wet. Not cold even at 7:30 am.
I'm in Castro now all good.
One word of advice, there are lots of new Albergues. In Bolivar I was on my own

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Walked San Sebastian to orio today pouring and windy and cold all day. The paths were mud and water. Tomorrow similar but after that supposed to get better

Rainy and cloudy here in Ribadesella. Daily temperature somewhere between 16 and 19 degrees. Has been like this at least since the beginning of May.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back