• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather conditions on GR 65?

ranthr

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
C Frances 2005, 2007
Le Puy en Velay -SdC 2009
Via de la Plata 2011
gr 653 from Oloron to Puente la Reina 2012
Gr65 from le Puy to Figeac 2013
Irun to Santander 2013
Porto to SdC 2014
Astorga to SdC 2015
Do anyone know anything about the GR 65 from Le Puy these days? Are the paths very muddy? Snow in Aubrac? Read a lot of the bad conditions in the Pyrenees so I wonder about the conditions on GR 65.
Randi

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We are are a bit south of there right now, not too far from Arles. They had a slow start to spring and the rivers are quite full but the trails here are in good shape and the weather the last week has been glorious.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In 2010, I was given serious advice not to descend from Nasbinals in fresh, heavy snow using the GR65. You might see why:
http://slowcamino.wordpress.com/2010/06 ... d-by-snow/

I had a delightful walk down the road to Saint-Chely. Someone told me later I'd missed an "authentic" experience and some great memories by not venturing into the deep powder. Three years on, I'm still not missing it! I'm just glad I didn't miss this:
http://slowcamino.wordpress.com/2010/06 ... ce-france/

That spring, I experienced just one day of heat (to Lauzerte) on the whole Chemin. In May, the cold came back with a vengeance and there was a traffic jam of pilgrims stuck in SJPdP even later in the month. I just took the sissy's way - as usual! - and crossed via the Valcarlos route, which is a wonderful hike in its own right.

The point I'm making is that if you play it safe you can still have a great time. If someone tells you you're not being authentic, just tell 'em you used to like authenticity before it went all mainstream and commercial.

Bon chemin

Rob

The other way to not come down from Nasbinals to Saint-Chely is via the GR 6 from Aubrac. Ahem. She says, from painful personal experience. Here's my tale, and I'm sticking to it:

That was my first year walking in France, and my first day walking alone, as the others of my party had finally split off to pursue their individual itineraries. There went the French language expertise, also. So I departed Nasbinals per normal along the GR65 and arrived Aubrac in good order for lunch. There was a large billboard sign, obviously communicating something that required detail and importance. But since I didn't speak French, it was all lost on me. One side was written in red, the other in blue. I decided red was the international warning color and I shouldn't go that way. Ah well.

That was the day I learned that every GR route is identically marked, with the red-and-white balise. After passing a number of shooting blinds and cross-country ski route markers, I arrived at the edge of the plateau. It had been quite some time since I'd seen a balise. I remember going cross-country, through a cow pasture, and eventually arrived Saint-Chely by the old road. That was in September. I cannot imagine doing so in snow.

Thanks all of you.
Robert, I have already decided to take the road from Aubrac. Walked the path in august 2009 and then I was happy that the weather was hot and dry.
Randi

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Rain and snow into St. Privat today, but the footing is good except for the normal standing puddles and streams. The snow melted on contact except for the highest hill.

Thanks Falcon!
Guess i have to bring some warm clothes!
Randi

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Clear today to St. Alban. A big group at Le Sauvage filled the place, but they are walking and singing for just four days. There is snow on the hills, but the path is mostly good. More rain is predicted later this week. It is just chemin-normal!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back