• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather/equipment needs vs weight in late June

Seekingpeace

Unpacking
Time of past OR future Camino
Astorga-SdC, CF, June 2023
Hi, preparing to hike last 1/3 of CF (Astorga-SdC) in the 2nd half of June. Wondering if folks can give any insights on weather in Castilla y León and Galicia to help trim down my pack weight. How rainy and cold does it typically get (understanding that weather is increasingly less predictable) in late June?

- Would you opt for a fully waterproof but 0.5lb heavier jacket vs. a lighter but only water resistant jacket?
- Is a pack rain cover necessary?
- Thoughts on puffy jacket or vest, vs fleece jacket or vest?

FWIW I’m not allergic to walking in moderate rain and ducking into a cafe if it gets torrential, recognizing there will be sections where there isn’t something close by. Also, I am a late 40s female so my body is starting to get a little erratic when it comes to temperature control, often too hot or too cold 🙃

Thanks in advance! 🙏🏻

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It will be starting to get hot. I would go for a light weight shell rather than a heavy, totally waterproof and very warm jacket. It may well be warm enough that it will be pleasant walking in the rain with no jacket.

Of course, a light weight, easily foldable emergency blanket should always be part of your emergency kit but typically they weigh grams and rely on their reflective qualities to keep heat in or out.

A light hiking umbrella might be ideal. They work for rain and heat.

Hi, preparing to hike last 1/3 of CF (Astorga-SdC) in the 2nd half of June. Wondering if folks can give any insights on weather in Castilla y León and Galicia to help trim down my pack weight. How rainy and cold does it typically get (understanding that weather is increasingly less predictable) in late June?

- Would you opt for a fully waterproof but 0.5lb heavier jacket vs. a lighter but only water resistant jacket?

FWIW I’m not allergic to walking in moderate rain and ducking into a cafe if it gets torrential, recognizing there will be sections where there isn’t something close by. Also, I am a late 40s female so my body is starting to get a little erratic when it comes to temperature control, often too hot or too cold 🙃

Thanks in advance! 🙏🏻
Hi,

I’m

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, I’m also starting from Astorga at that time. This time I’m packning a super thin, lightweight wind jacket, a lightwight fleece jacket/sweater and a rain poncho. The temperature can range from hot to quite chilly in the mountains in the morning and the weather can change quickly. Layering is the way to go in my opinion. Hope this helps.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have been on Camino twice - 2021 and 2022.

2021 June to mid-July was unseasonably cold - even into mid-July. I had my tank top (barely wore because it was cold), my merino wool t-shirt, a long sleeve sun shirt, a merino wool 3/4 zip, a down puffy, and a waterproof rain jacket with pit zips and wore ALL my layers frequently. I was STILL cold - so I bought a fleece. Rain jacket was definitely needed. But I don't do waterproof pants. Pack cover or liner is good so you clothes don't get too wet.

2022 late May to late June was average temps. I took a water resistant jacket and left behind the fleece and 3/4 zip merino wool later. There were a few days where I wore all my layers. Most cool days I picked long sleeve shirt vs down puffy vs rain jacket depending on the temp. But the warm layers were mostly worn early morning/late evening. The water resistant jacket was barely OK in LIGHT rain. But anything more than a drizzle and I was soaked through. Won't do that again. And then right after I finished - it got REALLY hot - so people who started in July might not have needed the down puffy at all.

Personally I prefer the down puffy (lighter and packs smaller and can be worn for a wider range of temperatures) and the slightly heavier waterproof rain jacket (puffy needs to stay dry too). And having different layers is essential for temp control - especially when our body temps start getting erratic. I can pick and chose which layer(s) for optimal temp.

I don't like vests - I have to keep my shoulders and arms warm or I will be miserable. Don't care so much about my legs/torso.

I have been on Camino twice - 2021 and 2022.

2021 June to mid-July was unseasonably cold - even into mid-July. I had my tank top (barely wore because it was cold), my merino wool t-shirt, a long sleeve sun shirt, a merino wool 3/4 zip, a down puffy, and a waterproof rain jacket with pit zips and wore ALL my layers frequently. I was STILL cold - so I bought a fleece. Rain jacket was definitely needed. But I don't do waterproof pants. Pack cover or liner is good so you clothes don't get too wet.

2022 late May to late June was average temps. I took a water resistant jacket and left behind the fleece and 3/4 zip merino wool later. There were a few days where I wore all my layers. Most cool days I picked long sleeve shirt vs down puffy vs rain jacket depending on the temp. But the warm layers were mostly worn early morning/late evening. The water resistant jacket was barely OK in LIGHT rain. But anything more than a drizzle and I was soaked through. Won't do that again. And then right after I finished - it got REALLY hot - so people who started in July might not have needed the down puffy at all.

Personally I prefer the down puffy (lighter and packs smaller and can be worn for a wider range of temperatures) and the slightly heavier waterproof rain jacket (puffy needs to stay dry too). And having different layers is essential for temp control - especially when our body temps start getting erratic. I can pick and chose which layer(s) for optimal temp.

I don't like vests - I have to keep my shoulders and arms warm or I will be miserable. Don't care so much about my legs/torso.
Walked Camino Frances 2022 late August to October, so we had the heat of the Meseta and the rainy cold of Galicia in the fall. Like the U.S. football season. My one and only warmth garment was an Eddie Bauer 14 oz. down jacket without a hood. It packs into its own pocket. No other jacket or sweater, raincoat. Other top clothes were two nylon button-up shirts and a nylon t-shirt. Many mornings I started with the jacket and quickly put it away when I warmed up from walking. Down is an incredible material that compresses easily and feels just right when it’s kinda cool or real
cold. For most of the rain I used my Euroshirm 8 oz. hiking umbrella which covered the pack too. Later in the trip we bought ponchos along the Camino when the storms got longer and windier. Shorts and flip-flops at the bars for dinner. My legs and feet don’t get cold as long as I keep my torso warm.
My wife took a prima-loft hoodie jacket.
Good luck on your trip.

Walked Camino Frances 2022 late August to October, so we had the heat of the Meseta and the rainy cold of Galicia in the fall. Like the U.S. football season. My one and only warmth garment was an Eddie Bauer 14 oz. down jacket without a hood. It packs into its own pocket. No other jacket or sweater, raincoat. Other top clothes were two nylon button-up shirts and a nylon t-shirt. Many mornings I started with the jacket and quickly put it away when I warmed up from walking. Down is an incredible material that compresses easily and feels just right when it’s kinda cool or real
cold. For most of the rain I used my Euroshirm 8 oz. hiking umbrella which covered the pack too. Later in the trip we bought ponchos along the Camino when the storms got longer and windier. Shorts and flip-flops at the bars for dinner. My legs and feet don’t get cold as long as I keep my torso warm.
My wife took a prima-loft hoodie jacket.
Good luck on your trip.
PS
If anyone has a recommendation for a lighter or better down jacket please let us know. Mine is on its last legs.
Thanks

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
PS
If anyone has a recommendation for a lighter or better down jacket please let us know. Mine is on its last legs.
Thanks
I love my Mountain Hardware Ghost Whisperer (2 I think) Hoodie Down Jacket. The small and medium sizes are only 200grams, it is SUPER compressible and packs in it's pocket. Seems like it is too thin when you look at it, but it does a GREAT job of keeping me warm in a wide range of coldish to very cold temperatures(I do get cold VERY easily. But - it's downside is it is very expensive and not waterproof (but I wear with a rain jacket as needed and never a problem). I used it on a lot of my long distance hikes and will bring it on my Via Francigena.

@trecile recommended a hoodless down sweater to me that I also like and is even slightly lighter and packs very small (but not in a packet - it has a very light stuff sack) and is much more affordable. I used it on my 2022 Camino and did like it a lot too. But - I can't remember where she and I got it. But I use this when I don't want/need a hood. I wouldn't wear it for a backcountry wilderness hike - but it is great for a Camino. But also not waterproof.

For my summer Camino's, I've been taking a Frog Toggs rain poncho. No need for pack cover and much lighter than my rain coat. I've always been fortunate and it has only rained on me for about 30 minutes total in my last 5 visits to Spain. I know that isn't everyone's experience though. I am going to buy a better Spanish poncho before I go back home this summer to wear for an upcoming winter camino in December and January though. In the winter, I would also add rain pants to my pack.

The weather can be either very hot or can be unseasonably cold as mentioned. For summer I do have a long sleeved sun shirt and I bring a large scarf that can be used as a wrap, pillow case, privacy screen, etc. I also have a Buff (neck gaiter) which helps warm me up and can be used as a sleep mask, head cover, etc. If it is really cold, I would look in the "give away" box at the albergue to see what someone else had discarded that I might get some use out of, or if I was in a city, I might buy a jacket.

Last edited:
PS
Thanks
Not down, but I wear a Northface Thermoball synthetic jacket. Mine was getting pretty ratty looking so I bought us new ones on sale for next year this spring. (Try to pick the last season's colors for a bigger discount.) Our old ones were bright yellow (hubby's) and bright orange (mine). New ones are kind of burnt orange (his) and light blue (mine). You will always see us coming this way...we always have stood out in the Spanish crowd (who mainly seem to wear navy, black, brown, gray).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've always been fortunate and it has only rained on me for about 30 minutes total in my last 5 visits to Spain. I know that isn't everyone's experience though.
Lucky! I have had quite a bit of rain. Some days it was just a little here and there. But sometimes it rained several days in a row all day. I was definitely very wet on several occasions.

A lot of good suggestions here about specific articles of clothing. My only addition to this conversation regards overall weight that you will carry. My 36L pack is never over 6 kg. I don’t overfill the pack, but I still carry all that I need on a Camino. Do you have a sense of how much you are carrying? As the title of one Camino book puts it, “To Walk Far, Carry Less.” Buen Camino.

Thanks in advance! 🙏🏻
A lot of good suggestions here about specific articles of clothing. My only addition to this conversation regards overall weight that you will carry. My 36L pack is never over 6 kg. I don’t overfill the pack, but I still carry all that I need on a Camino. Do you have a sense of how much you are carrying? As the title of one Camino book puts it, “To Walk Far, Carry Less.” Buen Camino.

Thank you @Grousedoctor! My 28L pack is currently weighing in at 5.95 kg with the lighter jacket 😂 (and without water) - part of my motivation for this post is to try and whittle it down even further. Grateful for all the suggestions on this post so far and looking into making some equipment changes to keep paring it down! 🙏🏻

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you @Grousedoctor! My 28L pack is currently weighing in at 5.95 kg with the lighter jacket 😂 (and without water) - part of my motivation for this post is to try and whittle it down even further. Grateful for all the suggestions on this post so far and looking into making some equipment changes to keep paring it down! 🙏🏻
Thanks for the replies!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.