• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather for end of October?

sam ferris

Time of past OR future Camino
None. First one.
Hey all,

New to this forum. New to CdS.

I'm walking O Cebriero to Santiago de Compostela, October 27th - November 2nd (my 50th birthday!) and I have many questions that I will not inundate you with here, but what I can't quite figure out from reading is what the weather is going to be like so I can plan my footwear. Does anyone bring two pairs of hiking shoes? I have a solid gortex North Face Ankle boot (pretty light weight), or was thinking of getting the HOKA One One Speedgoat 2(highly recommended trail runner). Both? Will I be encountering snow? The boot may be too much but the HOKA might not be enough? Do you know what temperature range I am dealing with? Would like to know how to pack for this. Good Gortex Jacket: check....but light fleece? Warm fleece? vest? layers? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. PS....are walking sticks recommended? One? Two?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Temps can be near freezing in the morning, so judge accordingly. A light fleece would be good to have. One pair of boots is enough. Which boots I cannot say. As far as walking sticks, I swear by them, but it is a personal choice. Used properly they can save tremendously on the wear and tear of your knees and legs. Used improperly they are just excess weight.

Sarria has never had a freezing temperature in October. O Cebreiro is a higher elevation, so it will be a couple of degrees colder than Sarria at any given time. Two pair of footwear will be extra weight. I suggest that you pick one. I always use "boots", but other prefer lightweight walkers. Take the ones that fit the best!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Buen Camino and Greetings from Jerusalem! Can't talk about politics here but the weather IS a'changing! There have been incredible heat waves all summer, places throughout Europe that never heard of air conditioning are now wishing they had, rain in July here in Israel (!!!), experience means little when talking about, dare I say the word, climate, anymore. Remember Baden-Powell and BE PREPARED for rain maybe even inundations, chilly mornings bordering on cold in the evening, and yes perhaps nice sunny days becoming hot noon/afternoons are all possibilities. No reason for worry, no reason to soldier through with excess baggage on your back, should anything climatically untoward occur there are plenty of opportunities in Sarria, in Portomarin or in Palas de Rei to restock or take on whatever may be needed.

Hey all,

New to this forum. New to CdS.

I'm walking O Cebriero to Santiago de Compostela, October 27th - November 2nd (my 50th birthday!) and I have many questions that I will not inundate you with here, but what I can't quite figure out from reading is what the weather is going to be like so I can plan my footwear. Does anyone bring two pairs of hiking shoes? I have a solid gortex North Face Ankle boot (pretty light weight), or was thinking of getting the HOKA One One Speedgoat 2(highly recommended trail runner). Both? Will I be encountering snow? The boot may be too much but the HOKA might not be enough? Do you know what temperature range I am dealing with? Would like to know how to pack for this. Good Gortex Jacket: check....but light fleece? Warm fleece? vest? layers? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. PS....are walking sticks recommended? One? Two?

Sam, I hiked the Camino two years ago, from SJPP to Santiago, started Sept 19th and reached Santiago Nov 4th. I encountered difficult weather conditions climbing the trail to O'Cebriero so be prepared for transitional weather that time of the year. No, you absolutely do not need to take two pairs of boots. What footwear you take is a personal choice. I took light weight mid-top Solomon's and they performed great plus flip-flops for after hours. Remember, you want to pack as light as you can; the KEY is layering. Dump the heavy jackets and the like. The weather for the most part during my journey was moderate, 40's at night and 70's, sometime low 80's during the day. A fleece or a light weight down sweater, for example, should be sufficient, along with your other layers. I hope this helps. You're about to experience an extraordinary , transformative journey -- keep your eyes, ears and heart wide open and have a wonderful time. Happy Trails

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.