• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather forecast reliability

vantild

Time of past OR future Camino
Northern Route in October 2022
How reliable are the weather forecasts between Ferrol and SDC?

I'll be there beginning 10/9/22 and plan to take around 6 days to reach SDC. Trying to go ultra-lite (sub 10 lbs) and want to unload gear if it won't be needed. Forecasts are reading 35% chance of rain on a couple days. Planning to bring poncho regardless but I'm not sure if it's worth bringing a raincoat and rain pants.

Would a seasoned pilgrim tell me it's better to have and not need vs. need and not have?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Looking at the current weather forecasts I see rain, but not very cold. I would leave the raincoat and pants behind.

How reliable are the weather forecasts between Ferrol and SDC?

I'll be there beginning 10/9/22 and plan to take around 6 days to reach SDC. Trying to go ultra-lite (sub 10 lbs) and want to unload gear if it won't be needed. Forecasts are reading 35% chance of rain on a couple days. Planning to bring poncho regardless but I'm not sure if it's worth bringing a raincoat and rain pants.

Would a seasoned pilgrim tell me it's better to have and not need vs. need and not have?
If you have booked accommodation ahead i would try and time your arrival such that you can get into it quickly and get changed if wet. There is nothing worse than hanging around waiting for somewhere to open if soaked through

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This is a personal decision. I’m on the same timeline although moving more slowly. If you can tolerate being cold and wet and plan to keep moving, getting rid of some wet weather gear would certainly lighten your load!! I’m planning to do that if the weather continues fair. But I’d get rid of my poncho before my raincoat and pants!! Ponchos just don’t offer the same overall protection except in a driving rain. Of course, that assumes a pack cover that works.

An old SCUBA saying; Better looking at it than looking for it. But, that's talking about being 30m under water. If you need it, you can buy one, improvise or do without.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
More than 5 days ahead weather forecasts are completely unreliable and mostly based on guess-work and statistical averages for the date and place. The best and most accurate app for weather in Spain is the official Meterological Office (AEMET) app. Search for AEMET on your phone's app store.

Try a rain skirt (folds to size of average woman's fist) and poncho.... light rain..use the skirt as a cape (worked well for me on the VDLP in May this year), heavier rain add a good poncho (I used the Altus) on top and skirt as skirt. Easy to change around combination as heaviness of rain changes.... just a thought

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.