• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

weather/geographical location

ElenaR

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello All,
I was researching the forum before posting, but the amount information is overwhelming. So, I apologize if I missed a similar post that already has been answered.
My sister and I are planning to walk the Camino in mid-November 2013. We need help to choose a route. We only have a week with getting there and back. This is our first time walking. I did some research and the following are our options: Sarria to Santiago, Camino Ingles, Via de la Plata from Ourense, and the Camino Portuguese from Tui. My questions is would some routes would be better than other weather wise due to their geographical location or they are pretty much the same? For example, we are incline to walk the Camino Ingles because it’s “complete” way, but it runs from north to south vs. the Camino Portuguese that runs from south to north. I assume it’s warmer and dryer in Tui in November than in Ferrol. Also, what is the most scenic route out of all of them?
Thank you for your help.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The last 100 km of the Camino Frances is the most scenic in my opinion. The Camino Portugues is the flattest and has some dangerous road walking. The Ingles has at least one long stage. The Via de La Plata from Ourense has a big climb the first day, then seemed like a lot of road walking, some dangerous. The accommodations on the Camino Frances will give you the most flexibility in stopping each day.

Buen Camino.

Hola

All of the routes you list have their good points and all have very scenic sections. They are all within striking distance of Santiago and imho the weather won't vary greatly from one to the other.

The route from Sarria is the most commonly walked. As you say the Camino Ingles is the only "complete" route - the long stage referred to can easily be split into two if desired. There are two routes out of Ourense both with a bit of an elevation but perfectly walkable. The Camino Portuguese has quite a lot of hard surface walking and one or two stretches on the road where care has to be taken.

Let us know what you decide!

John

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As usual John is spot on.

It depends upon your priorities, but the Camino Ingles would be quiet and you may not experience the same cameraderie you would on the Frances. There you will meet other pilgrims at any time of year, and also have more accommodation options.

Another option would be to start in Santiago and walk out to Finisterre or Muxia. It would give you a taste of the Camino, a certificate, and help you plan your next Camino when you get hooked! :D Buen Camino!

tyrrek said:
As usual John is spot on.

It depends upon your priorities, but the Camino Ingles would be quiet and you may not experience the same cameraderie you would on the Frances. There you will meet other pilgrims at any time of year, and also have more accommodation options.

Another option would be to start in Santiago and walk out to Finisterre or Muxia. It would give you a taste of the Camino, a certificate, and help you plan your next Camino when you get hooked! :D Buen Camino!

Or indeed from Muxia/Finisterre back to Santiago - another complete route!

Camino Ingles. There has been much discussion of splitting the stage to Bruma elsewhere by using a collection shuttle service from and back to Bar Julia and those using it were very happy with the service.
Camino Finisterra. The walk over the tops just after Olveiroa gives views to die for! This route is less lonely than the Ingles.
JW is definitely the guy to give well informed adviceand is our very own Ingles "Guru", always good, well informed and helpful.
allan

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thank you very much for your replies. This forum has invaluable information. As I gathered from the previous posts that the weather does not very from location to location. So, now we just have to pick a route. The purpose of this trip is to celebrate my sister’s 50 Birthday. I wish my Mom had her a month earlier when the weather is nicer, but you can’t change it :D So, if not the weather, at least we want to enjoy the scenery :D The climbs and stretches do not concern us much; we are pretty fit. However, we would probably prefer to see less big roads and would like to meet other pilgrims. So now I incline to look into the Camino Frances and Muxia/Finisterre routes. Thank you again for all your help.
Elena

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back