• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

weather in April/May on Via de La Plata

handzondeck2

Time of past OR future Camino
Life is one big adventure - follow your dreams.
:D Hi all

I'm planning to walk the Via de la Plata next year from 19 APr - 11 Jun 11. Can anyone tell me what the weather will be like? Is there anything in particular I need to take?

Thanks

Sharon 8)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
handzondeck2 said:
:D Hi all

I'm planning to walk the Via de la Plata next year from 19 APr - 11 Jun 11. Can anyone tell me what the weather will be like? Is there anything in particular I need to take?

Thanks

Sharon 8)

Hi Sharon,
I've not walked the VdlP, but having lived in Seville for two years I believe you've picked the best time of year weather-wise. You may still have rain, but it becomes increasingly unlikely toward June when it hots up (but you'll be in the north by then, so not bad). It will be cool the rest of the time, especially at higher elevations and in the early morning with clear skies. All that said, of course, this is climate and it does not equal weather. :lol:

Oh, and I'm a meteorologist with 30 years experience. I maintain a weather blog at http://www.wunderground.com/blog/esteban9/show.html, although I usually post only when something significant (rainstorms etc) is in the offing.
All the best!
Esteban

Gday, I am seriously thinking about walking the Via de la Plata 2014 starting about 4th April. (This year I walked the Camino Frances and started on 4th April).

What will the weather be like at that time of the year?

I am also looking for information about statistics for people walking around that time. I would be starting in Seville and walking all the way to Santiago de Compostela.

As a retiree I am also looking for walking companion/s as i have become a little concerned about possible robberies on this walk.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked from Seville to Caceres in March 2012, the weather was sunny and, for me, too warm, there were 10 to 14 people on each stage. (It rained heavily in April and May)
I walked Caceres to Verin March/April 2013 it was very wet, particularly under foot, people were just giving up and frequently there was only one other person walking the same stage as me.
It really isn't possible to predict, however I never felt in any danger, though it occasionally crossed my mind that if I did anything stupid, like fall, I might not be found for weeks :( needless to say I was extra careful not to fall :)

I started this year on early May and the weather was fantastic! It is a spectacular route on the Spring, at last as far as I got, which was Caceres.

Gday, I am seriously thinking about walking the Via de la Plata 2014 starting about 4th April. (This year I walked the Camino Frances and started on 4th April).

What will the weather be like at that time of the year?

I am also looking for information about statistics for people walking around that time. I would be starting in Seville and walking all the way to Santiago de Compostela.

As a retiree I am also looking for walking companion/s as i have become a little concerned about possible robberies on this walk.
Hi Cejanus - I am one of three folk planning to set off from Seville on 4th April, even if it's just the first day of then at least there is company for that first stretch .... For various reasons, not least of all the one you mention. We meet for the first time in Seville, but we are keeping in touch on the run-up via email/forum.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked in May this year, the Southern end was very hot, temperatures in the late thirties every day. I carried three litres of water and topped up where I could, but probably needed more.

On the real positive side it was thirty days without a drop of rain which for a soggy Scot was heaven.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back