• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather in April

hartie50

My wife and I will be walking from Merida in late March 2009, arriving Santiago early May. We are Australian so expect the weather will be cool by our standards. How have others found it at that time and what warmer clothing or wet weather gear do you recommend?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked the same route the same time this year.

I needed a light pullover and fleece and wet weather gear. Some days were warm, some were not. I walked in shorts (King Gee of course!) There was a fair bit of rain.

In April, all things are possible.

You could get everything from snow to warm sunshine to fog, with the possibility of a great deal of rain too.

Be prepared for anything/everything.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For such changeable conditions wool tops such as Icebreaker are great because they can cope with good ranges of temperatures - also have a couple of tops that you can layer if needed

For me I was more concerned about the rain (I went for Goretex paclite but a poncho might be fine) than the cold so didn't bring a fleece but wore my rain jacket if needed for the first hour or two in the morning - most days the sun was up by around 9am - the disadvantage of April is that you can find some muddy patches (I wore trail shoes with Vibram soles but others might prefer boots)

I started walking this past spring from Sauveterre de Bearn in France , on April 5th. I found the April mornings in Spain to be cold, even saw frost a few mornings. That said I was comfortable with a fleece jacket and nylon wind cheater. After about an hours walking I was usually too warm and removed the cheater. I had a hat which was good for keeping the sun and rain off my head but I regretted not having brought a wool hat to pull over my ears on those cold mornings. I also had a good pair of wool gloves which were much appreciated. The only other item that I didn't have and will make sure I have next time is Gaiters: http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_...4374302733919&PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524441775473 It's a lot easier to wash the mud off gaiters than to have to wash your pants everyday. :mrgreen:

I walked in May, a month later, where you would think would be warmer. I had days I was comfortable, as long as the sun was out, which did not seem to be often. Many more days where I was soooo cold. That wind!

At the Arco de Caparra, I had long johns with pants, two pairs socks, 4 top layers and ended up putting my poncho on to break the wind. I used my sarong to wrap my head and neck. That wind was so strong it sliced that cold into me. In June I woke up to see snow on the mountains. The locals were complaining of the crazy weather Spain is having.

Now mind you, I am from a warm weather place so I have a different tolerance than northerners, but the French group that was also there were huddling to keep warm. So yeah, prepare for all climes.

I loved the Via.... have fun
Lillian

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked from Le Puy last year starting late june and had some very cold wet days. This year I walked from Granada and found similar weather with mud everywhere. This forum often has people asking 'what will the weather be like..' Weather is not predictable! I'm in Melbourne 2 weeks into summer and we've just had our wettest weekend for 3 years with cool/cold temperatures.
Like others have suggested a fleece is good-there's nothing worse than sitting in an albergue/bar at the end of the day trying to get warm. I've been the poncho route-first was $2 lasted a few days,second was $6, split down the front so now I've bought a proper 3/4 length waterproof jacket-weighs a bit but I'm not getting wet again!
I've also been converted to boots-heavier,yes, but this year I had perpetually wet feet what with the mud and rain-not to mention fording 3 large streams.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.