• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather in April

Lindsay53

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2019
Portugues 2022
VDLP 2023
Hmm.......I put "weather + April" into the search box and ended up here......While I found the thread very interesting it does not really answer my question. If someone could give me an indication of what the weather on the Camino Frances is like in April and May it would be much appreciated. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
For better information, try searching in Google "weather april burgos" and other cities along the route. Proper weather sites will give better information (averages, etc.) than this forum, where people tend to talk about the weather they happened to get when they were on the camino.

Good morning,
know today how the weather will be in April May 2019 is really a sorcerer of the magic shovel)).
Experts (how much they really are?) say that it will be a spring very similar to the one just passed .... so periods of rain and sun not particularly prolonged.
Having made the journey in April / May 2018 I suggest you to have with you the equipment and clothing for every weather condition: 22 days of walking I met 5/6 days of continuous rain, 7/8 of overcast skies with light rain, the remaining clear sky. I also had the chance to face a significant drop in temperature from Pontferrada to Santiago (I speak of 4/5 degrees in the morning at 6.00 / 6.30).
On rainy days it was very difficult to dry some clothes and shower towels, in time: the dryers in the albergues were taken by assault (queues up to 22.00 in the evening).
I put everything in the backpack and the next day I stopped earlier than expected so as to have time to dry the clothes.
I hope I was helpful.

ciao

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Good morning,
know today how the weather will be in April May 2019 is really a sorcerer of the magic shovel)).
Experts (how much they really are?) say that it will be a spring very similar to the one just passed .... so periods of rain and sun not particularly prolonged.
Having made the journey in April / May 2018 I suggest you to have with you the equipment and clothing for every weather condition: 22 days of walking I met 5/6 days of continuous rain, 7/8 of overcast skies with light rain, the remaining clear sky. I also had the chance to face a significant drop in temperature from Pontferrada to Santiago (I speak of 4/5 degrees in the morning at 6.00 / 6.30).
On rainy days it was very difficult to dry some clothes and shower towels, in time: the dryers in the albergues were taken by assault (queues up to 22.00 in the evening).
I put everything in the backpack and the next day I stopped earlier than expected so as to have time to dry the clothes.
I hope I was helpful.

ciao
Is that 4/5 degrees celsius or Fahrenheit? Because to me 5 Celsius is pleasant walking weather where as 4 degrees Fahrenheit is cold.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Is that 4/5 degrees celsius or Fahrenheit? Because to me 5 Celsius is pleasant walking weather where as 4 degrees Fahrenheit is cold.

yes Celsius. but consider that in the previous weeks (mid-April) the average was 11/13 degrees celsius. There was a temperature drop in the last days of my journey.
have a good day, bye

I walked April this year. 40 days of t shirt with about 15minutes of rain.. people two days behind me got drenched repeatedly.. regardless of forecasts/percentages I guess you need to accept it could go either way and prepare accordingly..

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked April this year. 40 days of t shirt with about 15minutes of rain.. people two days behind me got drenched repeatedly.. regardless of forecasts/percentages I guess you need to accept it could go either way and prepare accordingly..

Andy's right, it's unfortunately a time of year when seasons are changing so you need to be prepared for a variety of conditions, or have a budget to react to the weather you find. To my mind rather than buying every imaginable item for all possible weather conditions and lugging those items all the way across Spain it's better to just be ready to purchase items as and when you need them, things aren't particularly expensive in Spain and there are plenty of shops along the CF.

I had zero rain on my April/May walk in 2015 and it was regularly pushing 30c though there were some cold nights at altitude.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hmm.......I put "weather + April" into the search box and ended up here......While I found the thread very interesting it does not really answer my question. If someone could give me an indication of what the weather on the Camino Frances is like in April and May it would be much appreciated. :)
Normally this is probably the best time to do caminos as it is not too hot, however there still could be snow on the higher parts,I have always walked towards the end of April, and have never encountered bad weather

I have done the CF twice from late April to late May / early June. Plan for rain, perhaps every other day. Get the Eltiempo.es+ app for your smartphone. It has the most comprehensive weather status and forecast information for Spain and Portugal.

Basically the weather during this time can be cold and raw in the early morning. If you are lucky, the sun pops out and warms things up to where you can take off outer layers of clothing.

In my experience, and using this app for forecast information, if the probability of rain is under 40%, there will be not appreciable precipitation, though the day might be cloudy and blustery. If the probability is from 40% to 60% there may be a shower or two. However, if the probability is over 60%, plan for significant rain during the day. The weather app has hour-by-hour forecasts.

Also, plan to encounter light but wet snowfall at altitudes over about 700 meters ASL. This includes the Napoleon Pass, Alto de Perdon, Cruz de Ferro, O'Cebreiro, and any other peak higher than about 700 meters. I have walked past Cruz de Ferro three times from mid to late April to mid-May (2013, 2014, 2016). I have experienced snow, to some degree, every time.

On my last walk through O'Cebriero (2016), I found myself in the midst of a brief but furious snow squall with a whiteout for about an hour. One could not see 30 meters ahead. The snow was gone as soon as I walked down a hundred meters or so, after the peak...go figure...

Pack layers. Add and subtract layers as needed. You warm up as you walk. As long as you keep your feet dry, and your head and hands warm, you will be fine.

Hope this helps.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Lindsay! If we only knew what the weather will be! April 20 - May 20, 2016 had some snow remnants in the Pyrenees, though not much. It rained lightly and overcast the first week, had 10 days of sun on the Messeta, overcast and light rain after the Messeta and foggy mornings in Galicia. The mornings were cold, often times below freezing, almost the entire month. It snowed heavily at the Cruz de Ferro the day after I was there. I made the mistake of not bringing gloves, and bought a pair at a little store after Roncesvalles, and wore them every morning all the way to Santiago. We only had one afternoon that was actually hot, and shorts weather. Buen Camino!

I can tell you that I started in St Jean on 1 April. It rained for 2 weeks straight then a couple days of sunshine rain every day except for when it snowed. Morning and evening below freezing sometimes., wind rain and mud during the day.

I suggest layers and good rain gear weather it’s poncho, rain pants , gaiters , gortex boots or socks and sandals. Be prepared but not overzealous. Towards the middle May was very sunny most days in Galicia but had a cold hail storm in Santiago around 15may. So as you can see the weather is unpredictable.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
And I started on April 18th and found it quite pleasant. Some rain days and a few where severe with temps that made walking quite pleasant. As T2Andreo said pack with layers, I started each day with a shirt a cover, a vest and a jacket. The jacket usually was off within the 1st hour and the vest by noon. Rarely did I get down to only the shirt. Good Luck and Buen camino

We started March 10, 2018 in Pamplona. Finished April 6. Snow, strong wind, cold. But a week after we finished, floods. Have layering options. Get more experience in walking outdoors. Synthetic layering options gives you flexibility to handle all weather and keeps your pack light

Walked in April May June 2017 42 days blessed with the weather only 3 days wet and no blisters. This year there were floods so next year who knows? Take it as it comes pasa a pasa
Buen camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Walked April & May 2018 through snow, rain, sleet, fog, thunderstorms, hail, and also plenty of sunshine! In short, who knows about April 2019?!??

Be prepared, but don’t overpack: stores exist in Spain, especially along the CF. Pack in layers that will quick-dry overnight.

Please, can we stop talking about *weather* a year from now! We don’t know what the *weather* is going to be 10 days from now. We *can* talk about climate. And what somebody experienced last year, or five years ago, in terms of weather is completely irrelevant to the future. Please see:

https://www.americanpilgrims.org/internet-resources#weather

and find the climate tables. (Or the weather links if you’re interested in what’s going to happen tomorrow!)

Certainly the weather is unpredictable and part of the experience. I have walked twice in April/May, both times starting in SJPdP on April 14th. In 2016, I had a lot of rain and walked in white-out snow at Cruz de Fero (May 12th) , in 2018 I didn't have one day of rain, only a few snow flurries at Cruz de Fero: that is not to say that pilgrims a week before me or behind me didn't have totally different experience. My advice for this time of year would be to take layers, your preferred rain gear, a beanie and gloves as you most definitely will have some cold days (my preferred walking weather). While it is true that you can find gear in some towns, there are sections where you won't find any. I found myself totally surprised by the snow without gloves and a hat and certainly couldn't buy them in Foncebadon. I was very happy to have them this year!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We must think alike Lindsay as that was going to be my question! I am also walking the Camino Frances mid April. Good to get a sense of what to expect and about the cold temperatures. A lot of packing lists i had read were more geared towards the warmer weather and i too wanted to get a sense of what temperatures we are talking about. I'd figured layers were the way forward but didn't want to come with too little due to keeping the weight down and finding myself cold....I hate being cold! Thanks everyone for your answers.

We must think alike Lindsay as that was going to be my question! I am also walking the Camino Frances mid April. Good to get a sense of what to expect and about the cold temperatures. A lot of packing lists i had read were more geared towards the warmer weather and i too wanted to get a sense of what temperatures we are talking about. I'd figured layers were the way forward but didn't want to come with too little due to keeping the weight down and finding myself cold....I hate being cold! Thanks everyone for your answers.

Hi JaipurDan, most of what I read was geared toward the summer as well. We may end up freezing (or roasting) together. :)

Definitely two different packing list. My pack this time of year weighs a good 3-4 lbs more due to clothing and my sleep sack that I made by sewing on a down throw to one side of my silk liner (kept this to 1 lb.)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked the first three weeks* in April this year (2018) and was glad I had all of my layers! It was cold and wet, raining, sleeting, and snowing a lot of the time. The coldest days were of course Cruz de Ferro and O’Cebreiro. The last few days into Santiago were beautiful. I would be prepared for cold days, wet days, and muddy trails. Also, I was glad I brought my sleeping bag as there were a few very cold nights in albergues.

*skipping parts in the middle

I would like to add that it is a beautiful time of year to walk, so don’t let some potential cold and rain scare you off. Just pack a little differently than you would in the summer or early fall.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.